Someone bring me up to speed on Ken Byron Ventures

SeanConnery

Sales
I've had about perfect service except for a few misrouted parcels (3) that wound up arriving a week or two later. But everything arrived.

First time I've had packages go missing, 5, on the same day. They never got scanned at the local office though. Maybe they fell off a conveyor and are still stuck behind something for all I know.

But I keep stock back for situations, just not for 5 at the same time for the same blends. I usually factor for 1 or 2 lost things.

Luckily, when that happens people get the really weird stuff out of me. Like maybe a solid chunk of stoved red virginia plug.

I get kinda stoked, "dude, what do you want out of the goodie bag?"

I mean come on, when you were young and idealistic isn't how that you guys saw yourselves running a business if you had one some day? Being the Secret Santa when things go wrong? Who watched Christmas Carol as a kid and thought, "that Scrooge had the right idea until those ghosts messed with his head".

SeanConnery

Sales
"Who watched Christmas Carol as a kid and thought, "that Scrooge had the right idea until those ghosts messed with his head".

I just re-read this as Bill Burr in my head, like an accusation at someone. "Really? Who-"

And nah, I'm out of the plug right now. It was a production sample for me to pick the flake width from and q/a the blend before slicing.

Same thing as the Slices and Fragments. I'll never claim it's better or worse. It's just kinda different and unique.

There's a reason I like doing business with Ken. At this point I'm sure he's seen my name on a few boxes... I buy everything Rockstar games comes out with because I believe they make a soild product and other than that table tennis game I'm a believer much in them much like Ken. I may not know I want the product but I believe in the creator and I'll always give him a chance.

Anyone smoke Mycroft yet? I’m interested to see how the orientals work with the stronger dark Va and Kentucky tobaccos. My tracking number says my package should arrive today, so I should be able to find out soon enough, but I’m still curious what other’s thoughts are?

@SeanConnery Did you use a single oriental varietal for this, or is it the standard “blend” of orientals?

Eulogy

Anyone smoke Mycroft yet? I’m interested to see how the orientals work with the stronger dark Va and Kentucky tobaccos. My tracking number says my package should arrive today, so I should be able to find out soon enough, but I’m still curious what other’s thoughts are?

@SeanConnery Did you use a single oriental varietal for this, or is it the standard “blend” of orientals?
I was honestly wondering what blends would be similar to Mycroft. Mine arrived yesterday but I have to par down some open stuff before opening anything else.

SeanConnery

Sales
It's 90% the same blonde mild Izmir I use in Fat Old Sun. It has a little basma, yenidje, samsun thrown in that last 10%.

So it's neither a single varietal or a typical mix of anything. It is the light balance between the dark virginia and malawi which are stronger and more fragrant. The orientals are there to burn well and keep it from being too strong. It has strength, but mercy as well.

My first ever order of Ken Byron Ventures blends arrived today! I was very keen to dive into Mycroft, and after a few hrs of drying time, I loaded a bowl into my Bertram prince.

First impressions is that this is a very tasty and strong blend! I get a lot of woody, almost cedar like flavor, with some spice. It almost reminds me of a milder cigar from Hoyo de Monterey. Perhaps this even reminds me a tiny but if semois tobacco, although this is a little less earthy.

It’s a consistent smoke throughout. Not a lot of complexity, but that is to be expected with the tobaccos that are used. The orientals contribute the spice notes, but they are subtle, and I certainly wouldn’t worry about them ghosting a pipe or anything. If anything this blend would effectively de-ghost a pipe lol!

Overall, this is a winner, and while not an everyday smoke, I look forward to enjoying this semi regularly in my rotation for awhile. Tomorrow it is onto Byronic Slices!!!