Someone bring me up to speed on Ken Byron Ventures

SeanConnery

Sales
Everyone's talking about Byronic, and I'm just here in the corner slavering over another pouch of Sweet Muffin.
Some guy called the label for that blend tasteless today. It's a picture of a Muffin. You know why it's not called "BlueBerry Delight" ? Because that sounds silly and not in a cute way which is what we were going for.

People project their personal hangups and perversions onto me, and personally I never expected that getting into this business. I'm not sure whether to be flattered or just confused...

Yoshimi's actually cooks for people and that was part of the inspiration.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

millarddj

Perpetual whippersnapper
Patron
Some guy called the label for that blend tasteless today. It's a picture of a Muffin. You know why it's not called "BlueBerry Delight" ? Because that sounds silly and not in a cute way which is what we were going for.

People project their personal hangups and perversions onto me, and personally I never expected that getting into this business. I'm not sure whether to be flattered or just confused...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The Sweet Muffin? I could understand the Instant Crush or Burlesque labels being critiqued, but I don't know how you'd take offense at muffins.

Edit: dude, no wonder that comment sounded familiar. It was me and I WAS referring to the other two blends. I just don't know how to use Instagram and find my comments again (or anything else).

Merely my feedback - and it wasn't meant to be read too deeply. If it's any consolation, "I don't need PG-13 labels on my tobacco" is the most critical thing I've ever leveled at you. Clearly I don't need to buy them for you to attain success. But don't ever break my heart by doing that to a pistachio or almond flavored aromatic, please!

Last edited:

lowercaseG

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That's the beauty of doing something for the love of the game as opposed to doing it for the money. You don't have to pretend to care about every single phantom grievance. Personally, I thought there was a little veiled innuendo put into that name, but if so, it's fun and innocent. That's people though. The vocal ones can only see black or white and both sides are suspicious of grey. As for the blend itself, you had me at Yoshimi.
Edit: Are you sure the person wasn't upset because he/she expected to have a label that showed a giant pink robot ravaging through downtown Tokyo? Maybe he has a point. I take it all back, your labels are tasteless sir!

Last edited:

SeanConnery

Sales
The Sweet Muffin? I could understand the Instant Crush or Burlesque labels being critiqued, but I don't know how you'd take offense at muffins.

Edit: dude, no wonder that comment sounded familiar. It was me and I WAS referring to the other two blends. I just don't know how to use Instagram and find my comments again (or anything else).

Merely my feedback - and it wasn't meant to be read too deeply. If it's any consolation, "I don't need PG-13 labels on my tobacco" is the most critical thing I've ever leveled at you. Clearly I don't need to buy them for you to attain success. But don't ever break my heart by doing that to a pistachio or almond flavored aromatic, please!
Honestly, we were working the dark cocoa burley stuff and I thought 'burlesque' got stuck in my head an an overloaded adjective for "contains burleys".

From there, we were having fun bantering about android and robot themes and 'Robo Burlesque' kind of flowed from that. We spent a few hours looking for art assets of a cyborg and then started doing modifcations and transforms. We didn't want the sticker to be a robot stripshow. We just wanted it to be _cool_. So the Burlesque is really having fun with words, and that sticker is pretty G rated to me anyways.

Instant Crush I had a different thing I was going for. I wanted to take Renaissance like depictions of the female form and Art Deco depictions of the female form, and make a "modern and more chaste pastiche to the past in digital using all digital art and lines to make it clear it's an abstracted iconic form of a woman perhaps being assembled virtually".

So PG-13 maybe? Or maybe Virtually PG-13? In either case, there was a vision, there was a lot of hard work, and I have a lot of pride in that one. But to be honest, it's an illusion. It is a glorified stick figure if you look at it.

Or maybe we watched Ex Machina too many times.

The Yoshimi blend will remain fun and have fun labels. :)

If you ever think one is tacky, just remember that's never the designer's intent.

Last edited:

SeanConnery

Sales
Dear Lord Byron (@SeanConnery ), I can't find if you already noted it anywhere, but will you be able to make more Live Wire? The stuff may now be critical to my well being. I should've bought more - hindsight is always 20/20.
More in June. Possible alongside the launch of a Slightly Shaggy mix of Bright/Orange grades infused with Citrus and Orange Blossom. It won't be anything like Exotic Orange though. Much more subdued and no filler tobaccos like black cavendish. We're seasoning the steak versus covering it with A1 sauce.

Cramptholomew

Has not made a Big Mac pancake.
Sales
More in June. Possible alongside the launch of a Slightly Shaggy mix of Bright/Orange grades infused with Citrus and Orange Blossom. It won't be anything like Exotic Orange though. Much more subdued and no filler tobaccos like black cavendish. We're seasoning the steak versus covering it with A1 sauce.
Dude... Let me send you money now. I want to be on that like white on rice.

millarddj

Perpetual whippersnapper
Patron
More Muffins please. The label is Tasteless???, not hardly. I smoked the label and the mylar. That is good stuff.
I see folks are reading the thread. :geek:

If you ever think one is tacky, just remember that's never the designer's intent.
It is about perspective and morality, I suppose. Without getting too verbose or playing with words: both are clearly plays on titillating images, which remain clear however abstracted. I respect that the intent was not to be salacious, and that I artistically "don't get it". I humbly submit that however seemingly harmless, some few of us find that labeling objectionable (I happen to know it's not just me).

This raised by a young pipe smoker who loves your blends and will be forthright despite the tendency of the modern social climate to shame the conservative and family-oriented. ESPECIALLY since your stuff is so good!

Also, my apologies for coming across as curt and/or rude on Instagram. I assume I was child-watching and in a hurry.

Last edited:

Fritz

I see folks are reading the thread.

It is about perspective and morality, I suppose. Without getting too verbose or playing with words: both are clearly plays on titillating images, which remain clear however abstracted. I respect that the intent was not to be salacious, and that I artistically "don't get it". I humbly submit that however seemingly harmless, some few of us find that labeling objectionable (I happen to know it's not just me).

This raised by a young pipe smoker who loves your blends and will be forthright despite the tendency of the modern social climate to shame the conservative and family-oriented. ESPECIALLY since your stuff is so good!

Also, my apologies for coming across as curt and/or rude on Instagram. I assume I was child-watching and in a hurry.
I read the thread brother, did you read my post? Try again and see if you find the humor: Label....Tasteless... Not Hardly....I smoked the label....and it was good stuff....as in the tobacco the label and the mylar that contained the tobacco was good stuff....not tasteless....get it? Nothing to do with titillating, salacious, abstract or any of those big verbose words. Just country humor. Jeeez :geek:

BlueMaxx

"Foo Was Here"
Patron
I read the thread brother, did you read my post? Try again and see if you find the humor: Label....Tasteless... Not Hardly....I smoked the label....and it was good stuff....as in the tobacco the label and the mylar that contained the tobacco was good stuff....not tasteless....get it? Nothing to do with titillating, salacious, abstract or any of those big verbose words. Just country humor. Jeeez :geek:
Reason number 3 on why I avoid all those social media type sites.
Facebook, Twitter, instagram, etc, et al free since their inception.

Baboo

Please try not to use the word "titillating" as I may find myself emotionally and morally conflicted , or aroused, depending on which holiday much of the world may be celebrating. Right now Yoshimi's Instant Crush has my Engine Verging down that Notorious River of Deceit... Cherry!!! Just what do you mean by "Cherry"???

Last edited:

Yakster

Patron
I enjoyed a sample of Notorious yesterday, but still prefer the Mountains of Madness. Good thing I stocked up. Should have enough to last me the rest of the year.

Pulled the trigger on River of Deceit and the Falcon Starter Kit (Straight) & Bright Star (Limited) this week as an early Father's Day gift to myself and am really looking forward to it.