Someone bring me up to speed on Ken Byron Ventures

Drydock

Mastercard is now also not an option. With Paypal as a choice removed, I can't purchase anything from Ken.

πŸ˜‘ I have 1 (one!) dang tin of Cringle Flake in my cart, but no way to buy it. I know Ken's always the first to say "it's just tobacco" (he's right) but I'm still super disappointed. Got so excited to see it was back--& I'm not a hoarder. I wanted one tin. To smoke. 🀀

If both Paypal & MC are toast, then it's looking like my KBV days are done.

Drydock

Now that I'm coming down from my Denial of Cringle Flake burn, I'm philosophically going to say this is a blessing in disguise. Money saved is money saved. I have nice blends in the cellar to smoke. If payment options remain limited, that's that.

I know small businesses don't make it hard on purpose to buy from them, CC companies have weird policies that make it hard for businesses. Paypal, I assume, is similarly tricky to deal with as a vendor.

And after being a dumb college kid who got into debt because of plastic & immature money skills, I made a decision to limit the plastic I carried. It's ironic that now when I can be a bit careless, I can't! πŸ€‘ But that's still a good problem to have.

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Staff member
Paypal is full out anti-tobacco, and I know pipe makers who have run afoul of them, Paul of Larryson pipes put up a post about it, and how it was basically going to put him out of business. We are all at a teetering point between FDA regulations, state tobacco tax crackdowns, and money-handlers like VISA, MC, and Paypal doing us no favors at all. It's going to re-localize the tobacco economy, and not in a good way. Canada has looked this way for years. I found a tin of "Artisan's Blend" at the local gas station once, and it was such an astonishing occurrence I forgot to buy gas. I'm not sure if I can buy pipe tobacco in my town. Maybe Captain Black, which here would probably now be known as Black Blend or something. My best bet for having any kind of local selection of real pipe tobacco would be to phone Burlington in Edmonton, about 2 hours north, and see if they'd ship, and... send them a cheque or something? And that's what it's going to look like inside of 10 years in the USA, is my bet. Cellar wide, boys, and cellar deeply.

Last edited:

Drydock

@Sasquatch Burlington on Whyte has been a wonderful small shop to do biz with. And you made me laugh out loud with your story abt forgetting to buy gas. I could just have easily voiced my disappointment in the "1st World Problems" thread--i know I've been lucky up to now.

On the other hand, now isn't a time any sm biz wants to be prevented from making sales--though happily for Ken, selling out of coveted stock doesn't seem to be an issue!

gnossos

the pineapple on your pizza
Patron
Paypal is full out anti-tobacco, and I know pipe makers who have run afoul of them, Paul of Larryson pipes put up a post about it, and how it was basically going to put him out of business. We are all at a teetering point between FDA regulations, state tobacco tax crackdowns, and money-handlers like VISA, MC, and Paypal doing us no favors at all. It's going to re-localize the tobacco economy, and not in a good way. Canada has looked this way for years. I found a tin of "Artisan's Blend" at the local gas station once, and it was such an astonishing occurrence I forgot to buy gas. I'm not sure if I can buy pipe tobacco in my town. Maybe Captain Black, which here would probably now be known as Black Blend or something. My best bet for having any kind of local selection of real pipe tobacco would be to phone Burlington in Edmonton, about 2 hours north, and see if they'd ship, and... send them a cheque or something? And that's what it's going to look like inside of 10 years in the USA, is my bet. Cellar wide, boys, and cellar deeply.
well now I feel like tobacco vendors just need to hack the internet, become cryptolibertarians, and start using bitcoin

simple