Sticky old boy-style Peterson lighter

Cheeseybacon

Recently my Peterson old boy-style lighter has started to give me some trouble. The lighter fires up a pipe just fine, but the arm takes considerable effort to lift up. It feels like it might be binding against something. It closes just as easy as it always has, but has really become a bear to open.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it a common problem? If you had this issue, what did you do to fix it?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If it cleans up and loosens, I'm thinking hitting it with a little lube from time to time might be good. I can think of several brands, even WD-40 that most of us have a can of somewhere, where a pin drop of and a wipe down would do.
WD-40 is good for unsticking something that is stuck, but it's not a lubricant -- you still need something to keep it moving.

Drydock

I have a really nice knife-oil that works wonders. A little goes a long way. No idea what the brand is, but I use it on everything. Almost.

Cheeseybacon

Just to follow up with this, in case anyone was vaguely curious, all this lighter needed was a very thorough cleaning. After disassembling at the hinge, I discovered that the arm, the screw, the detent, everything, was covered in very thick, very sticky black crap. This was after ~3.5 years of use. Not sure if that is good, bad or typical for that amount of use, or if the butane (Vector 14X) that I've been using isn't as clean as I was lead to believe. Regardless, all is well again.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just to follow up with this, in case anyone was vaguely curious, all this lighter needed was a very thorough cleaning. After disassembling at the hinge, I discovered that the arm, the screw, the detent, everything, was covered in very thick, very sticky black crap. This was after ~3.5 years of use. Not sure if that is good, bad or typical for that amount of use, or if the butane (Vector 14X) that I've been using isn't as clean as I was lead to believe. Regardless, all is well again.
Flint dust.

Top Bottom