What's new

Storage in the dark?

Second mouse

I've noticed flavor differences between containers (jars and baggies) of blends kept in daylight, especially on shelves on my screen porch. I first noticed it in baggies in my car, but assumed it was due to temperatures. Aromatic blends seem lose their taste, latakia also.
Two questions: has anyone else noticed this, and also do you make a point of storing clear jars and baggies in dark areas? Ok, a third: are these just normal aging changes (time period of 1 to 3 months)?

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
Patron
All very good advice was given above, and I will also state--Glass sealed jars kept out of direct light--dark is good where wild temp. swings will not happen.
I carry my daily tobacco in a zip lock bag. DO NOT allow it to be where direct sun beats down on it as this will cause the bags to sweat. You will see moisture on the inside of the bag--this is a no go as it will totally change the tobacco flavor profile, usually for the worse.
The same will happen to sealed jars if they are exposed to direct sunlight. As was already stated-temp. changes, direct light long term is not a good thing.
Place your sealed jars in a place where direct light, and temps are kind of stable over the long term. One thing I know for a fact--at least what has happened to me in the past. Aromatics, and Latakias stored long term if left in the light, and warmer temps will loose there flavor. Some flavor loss can be dramatic in bright light, and heat long term.

Kentos

All of my aging tins and bulks are in the dark. I do keep stuff I am smoking out of in my living room but my glass doors are tinted to protect from the sun. I also am facing south so I don't get the direct hit from the east or west.
Mine too. I don’t worry so much about my open stash for daily smoking. Heck, I have a small jar of Elizabethan Match on my truck dash in an attempt to see if it will stove. All my long term stuff is buried deep tho lol!!

RedScot

Nicotine is sensitive to light, not just UV. So the first thing that'll happen is nicotine breaking down. I'd imagine that there are other photoreactive chemicals present, too.

Plastic is also a bad thing any time it's exposed to light. Over time light will degrade most plastics.

There are other molecules at work when talking about pipe tobacco because of casings and toppings.

Regardless, remember that light is a form of energy. Anything exposed to that energy is subject to change.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Anything exposed to that energy is subject to change.
exactly.

I'd like to add: to my knowledge any artificial flavor will degenerate much faster than most natural flavor. I've read an article by
a perfume maker once where he was explaining why and while it did make sense at the time, I really couldn't say my knowledge
in chemistry is anywhere near good enough to say wether that was true or utter nonesense.
@dwaugh might be the right person to chime in here once he returns to the forum.