What's new

Stoving Tobacco

Deadfrog

Wyrd bið ful aræd.
Sales
Hey all,

I just received 5 tins of MacBaren Dark Twist today and I was considering stoving one in the oven to see how the tobacco might benefit from this. Before I do, I wanted to seek some input from those that have done this before. How were the results? What temp and time worked for you?

I appreciate any advice/input you guys might have!

dmkerr

The guy from Nantucket
Staff member
I used to do this with Granger to remove the plastic taste. I've done it with several other blends but the results were much less pronounced. It always results in an improvement, however.

And of course I still microwave Dark Star for 10 seconds. Still the best advice I ever got on a pipe forum. There are those that poo-poo this practice with all manner of theory, but I just pat them on their pointy heads and send them on their way.

WalkinStick

Driving the Bandwagon
Sales
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
I used to do this with Granger to remove the plastic taste. I've done it with several other blends but the results were much less pronounced. It always results in an improvement, however.

And of course I still microwave Dark Star for 10 seconds. Still the best advice I ever got on a pipe forum. There are those that poo-poo this practice with all manner of theory, but I just pat them on their pointy heads and send them on their way.
Only way I’ll smoke FVF is microwaved for 15 seconds. Makes it a totally different smoke.

I’ll have to try it with Dark Star. I love that Carp.

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
Patron
I do something a bit different. I did this just today. I wait for a nice sunny day--take some of my favorite tobacco--place it-spread it on a dinner plate and set it in direct sunlight--I will monitor this so as not to dry it to dust. I smoke all of my blends fairly dry and can say for me it really helps tobaccos. Call me nuts but this is what I do. I do this with almost all my blends than bag it for my daily use.

Deadfrog

Wyrd bið ful aræd.
Sales
Thanks for the replies!

So, after doing some research, I baked a tin of Dark Twist at 190F for 5 hours. The first thing I noticed when popping the tin was a more pronounced, almost oatmeal cookie aroma. Secondly, the tobacco darkened up a fair bit. A very noticeable difference when smoking as well. The tobacco is richer, smoother and IMO a much better smoke for having stoved it. The moisture level is perfect also. Stoving it didn't dry it out much at all, which was a worry of mine. It's quite similar in every way to the 30+ year old tin of this I have been smoking a lot of lately. I'll be doing this everytime I pop a new tin. :thumb-yello:

Before:
20180526_080236.jpg

After:
20180526_134726.jpg

WalkinStick

Driving the Bandwagon
Sales
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
Thanks for the replies!

So, after doing some research, I baked a tin of Dark Twist at 190F for 5 hours. The first thing I noticed when popping the tin was a more pronounced, almost oatmeal cookie aroma. Secondly, the tobacco darkened up a fair bit. A very noticeable difference when smoking as well. The tobacco is richer, smoother and IMO a much better smoke for having stoved it. The moisture level is perfect also. Stoving it didn't dry it out much at all, which was a worry of mine. It's quite similar in every way to the 30+ year old tin of this I have been smoking a lot of lately. I'll be doing this everytime I pop a new tin. :thumb-yello:

Before:
View attachment 3074

After:
View attachment 3075
Lid off or on?

greenmonster714

The oven toasting is like taking wholeleaf and putting it in a kiln to age it. Of course this is done after the leaf is flue, sun, or air cured. Putting a steady heat to the leaf ages it rather quickly making the tobacco better.
I'd never thought of doing that with a tin but I can see where it would improve the Tobacco. Nice thread. One all pipe smokers should read.

SpiritOf76

Patron
This discussion peaked my curiosity. I opened a Sept 2015 dated tin of HH Pure Virginia and removed the gold foil packing and replaced it with a Mr. Coffee filter. Covered the tin with the lid and stuck it in a 190 degree oven for a little over fours hours. Being the careful experimenter that I am, I forgot to take a before picture!
Needless to say, it definitely darkened. The top flake laying parallel is six month old HH ODF for comparison.
A word of caution. Keep the tin in a fairly warm environment as it cools. I removed my baked tin and set it on the counter in the air conditioned house and when I removed the lid, about 20 minutes later, there was alot of condensation on the inside of the lid and the paper coffee filter was quite wet. I rescued it in time and spread out the flakes on a paper towel to continue to cool. No damage. Smoking this tobacco for the first time so no compare and contrast. I have to say it's mighty tasty! Reminds me of Blackwoods Flake. Thanks to @Deadfrog for getting this thread going. I've enjoyed it!
20180601_161808.jpg