What's new

Stoving Tobacco

joeahearn

What happens if you stove a tobacco that has a top dressing of rum on it? I have some Sutliff Barking Dog Match (flavored with rum) that I like the taste of. But it is very "sharp" and burns my mouth some no matter how slowly I smoke it. I have been thinking of stoving it to see if stoving will gentle it up, but I wonder if the stoving will burn off the rum flavor. Any thoughts, friends?

Ozark Wizard

What happens if you stove a tobacco that has a top dressing of rum on it? I have some Sutliff Barking Dog Match (flavored with rum) that I like the taste of. But it is very "sharp" and burns my mouth some no matter how slowly I smoke it. I have been thinking of stoving it to see if stoving will gentle it up, but I wonder if the stoving will burn off the rum flavor. Any thoughts, friends?
It'll have the caramel/brown sugar thing going on without the twang of the alcohol based stuff.

Chico

I'm going to try this with some leftovers of blends I feel like I should have liked - or rather, that I did like flavor-wise but found harsh and/or bitey. First experiment will be with some fruity aros, like Solani Mango, Reiner Professional, GH Cherry Cream and a couple of others I can't recall. Mix them together and stove to the bejeezus, and hopefully get some kind of delicious stewed tropical fruit melange.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Patron
Why not just use the regular lid?
I don't know why you wouldn't. I use a convection oven for sterilizing ball jars with the rubber seal. The method was recommended to me by
the company that makes the jars. the maximum heat used was 220 C. you may want to check the company that makes your ball jars, but I
am pretty sure there will be no damage.

The only reason I haven't tried this yet is because I was too busy at work and making my own pipes. After my summer holiday I'm sure
I'll eventually get to that as well.

Deadfrog

Wyrd bið ful aræd.
Sales
I tried this again last night with some Sutliff Virginia Slices. Same as before, 190F for 5 hours. I used a clean Dunhill Flake tin to stove it in. After the time was up, that tin was resealed so tightly I had to use a butter knife to pry it off. When I did, I was greeted with a nice "woosh!"

The tobacco darkened up quite a bit and smelled like fresh baked bread. Smoking-wise the tobacco is much richer and the sharpness of the new stuff is completely gone. I got more bread/yeasty flavours than were there before. The grassiness it had before was toned down quite a bit. My wife commented that the room note reminded her of raisin bread, which is what I was getting from smoking this.

All in all, this one turned out great. Perfect moisture level and everything.

20180616_081208.jpg

joeahearn

I tried this again last night with some Sutliff Virginia Slices. Same as before, 190F for 5 hours. I used a clean Dunhill Flake tin to stove it in. After the time was up, that tin was resealed so tightly I had to use a butter knife to pry it off. When I did, I was greeted with a nice "woosh!"

The tobacco darkened up quite a bit and smelled like fresh baked bread. Smoking-wise the tobacco is much richer and the sharpness of the new stuff is completely gone. I got more bread/yeasty flavours than were there before. The grassiness it had before was toned down quite a bit. My wife commented that the room note reminded her of raisin bread, which is what I was getting from smoking this.

View attachment 5615
Many thanks for reporting on your awesome tobacco science project. I've got to try this.

Sinzalot

View attachment 5615
Looks great @Deadfrog mate, so glad you started this thread, I'm sold. I've got some FVF tins that could do with stoving.
I might try stoving some curly block, unsliced and sliced. Keep stoving brother.:beerchug:

greenmonster714

Since Ive been watching this thread I figured I would try some for myself.

These slabs are from a wholeleaf press I did a few weeks ago. Figured I'd try this stoving thing. So, I packed some slabs in a small tin I have.
Before....
IMG_06062018_234230.jpg
After....they darkened up a lot. I do believe they taste better after doing this. 180degrees @ 4hrs did the trick for me.
IMG_06062018_234522.jpg

Deadfrog

Wyrd bið ful aræd.
Sales
Looks great @Deadfrog mate, so glad you started this thread, I'm sold. I've got some FVF tins that could do with stoving.
I might try stoving some curly block, unsliced and sliced. Keep stoving brother.:beerchug:
I'm glad this thread has yielded some good results. The two blends I've stoved have seen amazing improvements. I'll be doing this a lot more with various blends to see what happens. I'm thinking tomorrow I'll do a bit of Lancer's Slices to see how a Latakia blend fares in the oven.