What's new

Stoving Tobacco

mwong61

"On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog"
Patron
I was ambitious and put 4 jars in for 4 hours @180.

Sutliff va slices, Newminster 403, PS LBF, and amphora Va blend.

All 4 of these have what I consider a bit of a harsh or rough edge fresh. Jars are cooling right now, gonna do some sampling in the morning.

Can’t wait!

joeahearn

All 4 of these have what I consider a bit of a harsh or rough edge fresh. Jars are cooling right now, gonna do some sampling in the morning.

Can’t wait!
I'm really looking forward to hearing what effect stoving has on these blends.

Watchmaker

Can’t wait!
Make sure and taste again in 30 days. The day after I stoved LBF it was different but not remarkable. After 30 days it was a whole different sweet, figgy animal.

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
Hi all, this my first “real” post after introducing myself. I saw this thread when it began and thought I’d give stoving a shot. I chose Rattray’s HOW as I know it well and I’m able to do a comparison of fresh, stoved, and aged. About 27 or 28 days ago I stoved a fresh, sealed 100g tin at 195 degrees for 300 minutes. After 48 hours I opened it, and let it sit with the plastic lid on since. Here are the comparison pics with fresh HOW and a just opened tin from Nov of 2000. I’ll be tasting them today and will post how it goes.

C9E35195-F7DD-47E4-8D90-6591D2038ADA.jpeg 49B1E6CF-533B-4534-B1D3-EBFAF90558CF.jpeg 992531B0-8E8F-4331-A724-E4D49C37B161.jpeg 23D960DD-2255-4CAE-AA28-3786EBD1968B.jpeg

SpiritOf76

Patron
Hi all, this my first “real” post after introducing myself. I saw this thread when it began and thought I’d give stoving a shot. I chose Rattray’s HOW as I know it well and I’m able to do a comparison of fresh, stoved, and aged. About 27 or 28 days ago I stoved a fresh, sealed 100g tin at 195 degrees for 300 minutes. After 48 hours I opened it, and let it sit with the plastic lid on since. Here are the comparison pics with fresh HOW and a just opened tin from Nov of 2000. I’ll be tasting them today and will post how it goes.

View attachment 6396 View attachment 6397 View attachment 6398 View attachment 6399
This will be great to get a comparison from all three samples....can't wait to hear your results!
:popc:

tfdickson

Sales
Patron

View attachment 6396 View attachment 6397 View attachment 6398 View attachment 6399
After smoking a bowl of the stoved and a bowl of the aged I have some initial impressions. Using the fresh HOW as the baseline, the stoved is all-around smoother, more round, sweeter, and more dark fruit in flavor. The minimal hay/grass that I pick up in the fresh blend is gone, and the Kentucky has receded even further into the background than it is in the fresh. In the fresh the perique is mildly peppery throughout, whereas in the stoved it starts out more stewed fruit in the first half and becomes more peppery in the back half.

The 18 year old HOW was not what I expected. As shown in the pictures above, while the leaf had darkened with age there was very little if any in the way of sugar crystals (or whatever they are) that I am used to finding in aged McC or Samuel Gawith VA’s. The first quarter of the bowl was actually a little flat vs the fresh and definitely vs the stoved. It picked up in flavor quite a bit at that point though- the perique really came out, peppery like the fresh, and stayed prominent until the end. No more sweetness than the fresh, which really surprised me considering my experience with aged McC and SG. Overall it was somewhat smoother than the fresh.

It’s only one bowl of each but if first impressions hold: I’ll continue to be very happy with fresh HOW, will regularly stove it, but I won’t be setting any aside for long term aging. This was a big surprise for me as I expected the aged to knock my socks off and it just didn’t.

Ted

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
Update- After the underwhelming experience with the 18 year old HOTW I transferred the contents from the tin to a mason jar and let it sit for 10 days or so. Now it is everything I had hoped for- bursting with flavor from the first light, full, smooth, and with a sweetness that wasn’t there when I first opened the tin. The perique is there throughout but with both peppery and plummy notes vs only pepper when the tin was first opened.

So revised conclusion- the aged is fantastic. When I run out of the old stuff I’ll still enjoy both fresh and home stoved HOTW but there really is no substitute for time in the tin.

One question-has anyone else found that an aged tinned VA blend needed to be jarred after opening and left to sit prior to it reaching its full potential? I haven’t had that in my experience with old McC and SG tins, in fact usually it is the opposite. I have a stash of McC ribbon cut VA tinned for PCCA in 1992 and when I open one of those tins it is best to smoke the first bowl and jar the rest immeadiately and then smoke the rest as quickly as possible.

JustScott

Update- After the underwhelming experience with the 18 year old HOTW I transferred the contents from the tin to a mason jar and let it sit for 10 days or so. Now it is everything I had hoped for- bursting with flavor from the first light, full, smooth, and with a sweetness that wasn’t there when I first opened the tin. The perique is there throughout but with both peppery and plummy notes vs only pepper when the tin was first opened.
Many times, especially after a blend has been in a tin/jar for quite a while, it needs some time to sit and "air out". It will be flat until it has "woken up". Not sure about the science of this, but it's been my experience, and I've read the same from others.

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
It just came out of the oven. When it started to cool the lid popped, indicating a seal but I noticed there was moisture inside. I'm going to let it rest a few weeks and then smoke some.

God I miss McClelland!
When I have tried this there has always been condensation on the inside of the walls of the jar or tin after. Even after letting it sit for a month or so the moisture was still there. I have just wiped it off with a paper towel on opening it after the post-stoving rest. I’ve really enjoyed the results.

Watchmaker

It just came out of the oven. When it started to cool the lid popped, indicating a seal but I noticed there was moisture inside. I'm going to let it rest a few weeks and then smoke some.

God I miss McClelland!
Yes.... let the condensation redistribute in the tobacco. The condensation happens when the hot jar hits the much cooler room temperature. If you want to avoid this just turn the oven off with the jars or tins in it and let the oven come back to room temperature. It would take several hours I'm sure.