Sun Bear

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
There are so few excellent Oriental blends, I'm taking a small risk. I really liked the C&D Oriental blends sold at the Chicago door show. Hoping this will be similar. If I hate it, I'll package it up and send it to you Ozzie. Maybe you could add something and with your blending magic, make a winner out of it.
I'd be happy to play with it! I might do the same with the two I'm getting. I'm guessing it'll run in a similar vein of the Hebraica Series.

blackmouth210

Patron
There are so few excellent Oriental blends, I'm taking a small risk. I really liked the C&D Oriental blends sold at the Chicago door show. Hoping this will be similar. If I hate it, I'll package it up and send it to you Ozzie. Maybe you could add something and with your blending magic, make a winner out of it.
Considering it's a "small batch" blend, there's little risk. Even if you absolutely hate it, someone is bound to love it. I'm sure they'll be happy to take it off your hands when there's no more to be found.

DrumsAndBeer

Why? I don't think it is the ingredients that promotes mold. Unless that is, one of the ingredients is mold spores. If mold spores are introduced into the tobacco, I believe it would grow in just about any blend.
You're most likely correct and I don't want to come across like I am speaking out of turn, but considering C&D's track record with the issue of molded tabacco, I see an ingredient like honey from the master blender's backyard and it gives me a slight pause for concern.

Liquor has been used in blends for ages and it's doubtful that tequila would be any different from rum or whisky.

They have had enough trouble with their more natural mixtures Kajun Cake, Bijou (added honey), Union Square, Carolina Red Flake, Burely Flake No. 3 etc., that their blends with more added organics might be a bit more of a crap-shoot.

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
Bijou has honey in it? Huh, learn something new everyday!

Interlude has a bit of honey, and I haven't had issues with it(knock on wood).

I would be more concerned about how much time the leaf spends on the floor getting kicked around than honey growing mold. Also, damp harvest years and storage of the tobacco will grow mold. It just does. You can have an excellent crop, harvested carefully, and then while it sits baled waiting for market go to fecal matter while being transferred to the manufacturer.

Hoosierpipeguy

You're most likely correct and I don't want to come across like I am speaking out of turn, but considering C&D's track record with the issue of molded tabacco, I see an ingredient like honey from the master blender's backyard and it gives me a slight pause for concern.

Liquor has been used in blends for ages and it's doubtful that tequila would be any different from rum or whisky.

They have had enough trouble with their more natural mixtures Kajun Cake, Bijou (added honey), Union Square, Carolina Red Flake, Burely Flake No. 3 etc., that their blends with more added organics might be a bit more of a crap-shoot.
I see your point about the honey. The blend sounds to good to pass up though. I smoked a bowl of C&D Bijou last night (which has honey). No mold. Of course, one tin without mold is hardly statistically significant. But obviously, most tins of Bijou shipped don't have mold or they wouldn't continue to produce it.

Hoosierpipeguy

Bijou has honey in it? Huh, learn something new everyday!

Interlude has a bit of honey, and I haven't had issues with it(knock on wood).

I would be more concerned about how much time the leaf spends on the floor getting kicked around than honey growing mold. Also, damp harvest years and storage of the tobacco will grow mold. It just does. You can have an excellent crop, harvested carefully, and then while it sits baled waiting for market go to fecal matter while being transferred to the manufacturer.
Very sensible post from a man who knows way more than most about tobacco. Wish I could like this post 10 x.