Sun Bear

millarddj

Perpetual whippersnapper
Patron
I played it safe and ordered another half pound from Payless. By its nature, this blend would seem harder to repeat than at least Sansepolcro. Got a ship notification this morning, so I think I'm sitting pretty.

On a tangent, can any experienced smokers here comment on how Sun Bear compares to C&D Bijou? Seems the only comparable blend in production.

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
I played it safe and ordered another half pound from Payless. By its nature, this blend would seem harder to repeat than at least Sansepolcro. Got a ship notification this morning, so I think I'm sitting pretty.

On a tangent, can any experienced smokers here comment on how Sun Bear compares to C&D Bijou? Seems the only comparable blend in production.
Seems like Bijou with honey.

Stormcrow

Tried a sample from a friend that was a few days out of the tin. As someone else mentionedypical C and D floor blended virginias like their Virginia flake. The sweetness disappeared pretty quick. Glad I passed on this one as there are many other current blend to spend that $10 on. And others have mentioned, forget cellaring it, the strange concoction of casings seems like it would be a petri dish. The one good thing is - one wouldn't feel bad for opening the tins you bought and jarring them right away so you could watch for spores. These blends wont appreciate into anything valuable so no loss to popping them right away...

millarddj

Perpetual whippersnapper
Patron
I have relatively little experience with C&D's Virginia blends. Those that I have tried have all been a little harsh fresh out of the tin, but I did not find Sun Bear this way. I got a good bit of honey and elderflower in my first couple of bowls, and a pleasant floral spice that I attribute to the Orientals. All this on top of refreshing, sweet bright Virginias.

This blend is really making me sit up straight and take another look at Cornell and Diehl, a manufacturer that I have previously and viewed as being heavy-handed and/or largely catering to fans of meatier tobaccos.

I have relatively little experience with C&D's Virginia blends. Those that I have tried have all been a little harsh fresh out of the tin, but I did not find Sun Bear this way. I got a good bit of honey and elderflower in my first couple of bowls, and a pleasant floral spice that I attribute to the Orientals. All this on top of refreshing, sweet bright Virginias.

This blend is really making me sit up straight and take another look at Cornell and Diehl, a manufacturer that I have previously and viewed as being heavy-handed and/or largely catering to fans of meatier tobaccos.
I have come to like some C&D blends. As you say though, some are heavy handed and not to my liking. I like Opening Night and Yorktown which are both straight Va. I like Bijou, the VaOR. Oriental Silk is another VaOr, it is okay, too much Perique for my liking. But not bad. Dreams of Kadath, Star of the East and Sunset Harbor Flake are all very good as well.

millarddj

Perpetual whippersnapper
Patron
I have come to like some C&D blends. As you say though, some are heavy handed and not to my liking. I like Opening Night and Yorktown which are both straight Va. I like Bijou, the VaOR. Oriental Silk is another VaOr, it is okay, too much Perique for my liking. But not bad. Dreams of Kadath, Star of the East and Sunset Harbor Flake are all very good as well.
Thanks man, I'll take a look at some of those soon. I have a quarter pound of Yorktown, which I've been sampling occasionally. It hasn't really "lit up" for me yet. Star of the East was not my bag - too much latakia punch. The others I've not tried yet.

Thanks man, I'll take a look at some of those soon. I have a quarter pound of Yorktown, which I've been sampling occasionally. It hasn't really "lit up" for me yet. Star of the East was not my bag - too much latakia punch. The others I've not tried yet.
I like Opening Night more than Yorktown. The C&D Virginia's are a bit more earthy than others.

millarddj

Perpetual whippersnapper
Patron
Surprisingly, this is one of the few of their blends that I just can't stop enjoying. Those who plan on aging this tobaccah, are you leaving it in the tin or jarring? Not familiar much with the C&D tins.
I haven't decided yet. Though I think the danger of C&D blends molding is fairly exaggerated (especially as of late), I am torn between popping the tins and sealing in mylar or leaving them be.

The former is attractive because of a guarantee of product safety. The latter as more of an "investment" in case of trade/sale someday, though obviously at present I prefer to age and smoke it.

Surprisingly, this is one of the few of their blends that I just can't stop enjoying. Those who plan on aging this tobaccah, are you leaving it in the tin or jarring? Not familiar much with the C&D tins.
Leaving it in the tin. Do you think jarring will help prevent mold? I think there are two different issues. If the tin seal is compromised, the tobacco is going to dry out. However, if mold spores are introduced in the tobacco, it will grow whether in the tin or in a jar.