What's new

Sutliff Crumble Kake Va Perique

leacha

░░░░░
Sales

First impressions. I cracked the tin, took the above photo and broke off a piece guessing the amount needed. I lightly rubbed it out with my fingers and filled my Savinelli Dry System 621 (A Dublin shape with a conical bowl) that is dedicated to VaPers. My tin contained 4 thick sliced flakes laying on top of each other. The flakes are reminiscent of a home made blend. The tin aroma is sweet and raisiny. After the false and a couple char lights the smoke is medium bodied and sweet (due to the casing, Cavendish or Virginia I can't tell) with the Perique making its presence known through the taste and retrohale. 1/4 of the way in the Perique disappears and it becomes a harmonious sweet smoke. Near the end the Perique intermittently shows up. I smoked this slow and cool and fast and hot and it remained consistent. It doesn't bite and the casing gives a pleasant aftertaste. I didn't detect any flavorings. This has the same casing as their 1849 blend and, probably dissipate over a few weeks and at that point, more of the blends individual components will surface in the smoke.

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
I really like this one. To answer your question @PipeHaze I think the Cumble Kake VaPer and 1849 are very different. I found the Kake to be smoother, sweeter, fuller, and stronger (nic) vs. 1849. The VA’s in 1849 lean a little more grassy vs earthy and tangy in the Kake. The perique comes across more peppery in 1849 vs more stewed fruit in the Kake. For what it’s worth at 4 years in the tin 1849 becomes an absolute pepper bomb. I like 1849 fresh, don’t care for it with age (first time that’s happened), love the VaPer Kake fresh, and can’t imagine it will be even better with age.

leacha

░░░░░
Sales
I really like this one. To answer your question @PipeHaze I think the Cumble Kake VaPer and 1849 are very different. I found the Kake to be smoother, sweeter, fuller, and stronger (nic) vs. 1849. The VA’s in 1849 lean a little more grassy vs earthy and tangy in the Kake. The perique comes across more peppery in 1849 vs more stewed fruit in the Kake. For what it’s worth at 4 years in the tin 1849 becomes an absolute pepper bomb. I like 1849 fresh, don’t care for it with age (first time that’s happened), love the VaPer Kake fresh, and can’t imagine it will be even better with age.
Excellent comparison and on the money! I think these two blends are a great example (Rolandos Own & AJs VaPer are another) of how different Virginias bring out different aspects of Perique. The Kake with its Red and Cavendish gives more plum/raisin while the yellows in 1849 brings out the pepper.

The casing used, in both blends, is a little heavy for my taste but not off putting. While smoking my first tin of 1849 I did a "degassing" trick on other tins that I used on vinegary (ketchup) McClellands. Open your tin, stir around the contents and leave it sit for 10 minutes and close. The next day, open the tin and stir up the contents and close. Do this for a week. Bingo! Much more enjoyable to my tastes.

Ozark Wizard

Excellent comparison and on the money! I think these two blends are a great example (Rolandos Own & AJs VaPer are another) of how different Virginias bring out different aspects of Perique. The Kake with its Red and Cavendish gives more plum/raisin while the yellows in 1849 brings out the pepper.

The casing used, in both blends, is a little heavy for my taste but not off putting. While smoking my first tin of 1849 I did a "degassing" trick on other tins that I used on vinegary (ketchup) McClellands. Open your tin, stir around the contents and leave it sit for 10 minutes and close. The next day, open the tin and stir up the contents and close. Do this for a week. Bingo! Much more enjoyable to my tastes.
I'll have to try that open and stir trick with their red Virginia...

tfdickson

Sales
Patron

Is there anything perique can’t do? Love the stuff.

Very interesting tip on the degassing, I’ll have to give it a try. I’ve done something similar with Orlik Nightcap tins, a jar, and a lot of shaking but never with VA’s.