tangled with a plug

Old Trooper

I don’t mean a pug dog or automotive part. Popped a tin of triple pressed plug tobac and inspite of large tin, it was proper weight. Consulted excellent thread on preparation. Pulled out my wife’s favorite chef knife and cutting board, she said “No Way!” Considered veggie shredder, shop vice, wood splitter or running over with vehicle, also small charge of explosives. Suggestions? Nothing more graphic than sit on it. PG14 applies.

Grimpeur

Small plug, large tin...was it the Peterson plug?

When in doubt, I can get by nicely with holding the plug in one hand and whittle away at it with a (very) sharp knife. Pouring the results right from palm to pipe bowl works fine.

Extra points for authenticity if using a pocket knife almost as old as you and either a Peterson or Falcon beaten and scorched half to death.

FrankHall

Won't Curse You
Sales
Small plug, large tin...was it the Peterson plug?

When in doubt, I can get by nicely with holding the plug in one hand and whittle away at it with a (very) sharp knife. Pouring the results right from palm to pipe bowl works fine.

Extra points for authenticity if using a pocket knife almost as old as you and either a Peterson or Falcon beaten and scorched half to death.
I've always bought Condor plugs in the little dark green packages, so couldn't visualize how a plug would go in a tin...until I opened a tin of War Horse Green. I could almost have used a butter knife, but bought a Morakniv for my home-pressed pucks.

Mrm1775

I have a Morakniv that I use for camping. It is razor sharp and cuts a plug to any thickness i desire. Use on a wood cutting board if possible. I would avoid holding the plug in your hand, as knives tend to slip at the wrong time.

Or you could search some estate sales for a cool cutter like this one that belongs to @Mrm1775
View attachment 66197
I'm with @Billy Joe, if I am away from home or don't have access to my cutter, I use a Mora also.
Unless you are VERY experienced i would avoid holding the plug while cutting.
Tobacco (especially plugs) has a way of grabbing a blade and letting go at the wrong time.

PipeInTheD

So things that work for me.

I typically just use a very sharp small pocket knife. The one I've been using lately is a super cheap Gerber I believe. I shave the plug very thinly, thinner than a typical flake. It tends to result in an almost shag type of cut. I sometimes go thicker, but its more difficult to cut the thicker you go.

I've also used a grater like mentioned above. Think a zesting grater, or a parmesan cheese grater, which also results in a shag.

Funnily enough, I had an uncle that used to use a potato peeler, but I don't know how he made that work. But I saw him do it so I know it's true!

Kirby

i dug into my first plug this past weekend as well, GLP Temple Bar. It sliced pretty week with a pocket knife that was reasonably sharp. I gotta say, it's a bit more effort than I typically want to go through to fill a pipe but I did like the blend so I will be going through the process again. I'll pull the Mora out of my glove box for the next one.

Mrm1775

Excellent blade as well.
Don't all men own oneof these ?

i dug into my first plug this past weekend as well, GLP Temple Bar. It sliced pretty week with a pocket knife that was reasonably sharp. I gotta say, it's a bit more effort than I typically want to go through to fill a pipe but I did like the blend so I will be going through the process again. I'll pull the Mora out of my glove box for the next one.
I agree that plugs are more work as far as prep.
I do find though that the plug is usually worth the effort - usually a richer taste.