What's new

The best of Sutliff

MasterJoda

So Smokingpipes has 20% off Sutliff bulls right now through Jan 15, 2019.

In perusing their selection I got to thinking, I wouldn’t mind picking up a few ounces. I’m not very well versed with Sutliff stuff. I’ve had a couple of the Tobacco Galleria blends, but that may be about it.

I know Red Ribbon comes recommended. Any others?

PipeHaze

If you like a straight Virginia, their Virginia Slices are a great VA Flake. I also like their Sweet Virginia, it's a broken flake/ready rubbed VA. If you like a lose cut VaPer, their Elizabethan Match is really good. More sweet and spice than pepper. Revelation Match is an awesome crossover English with a mild plum topping. For aromatics, I love their Rum and Maple for a Burley forward easy smoke.

Sutliff gets a bad rap, but they have some really nice tobaccos in-between all them gooperific aromatics. I have several as my go to daily kind of blends. They are probably my favorite all around brand.

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
If you like VaPers, I strongly recommend Sutliff Elizabethan Match. I think it’s one of the best ribbon cut VaPers available today and a steal at normal prices let alone on sale.

515 RC-1 is another I like a lot with the only caveat being that it could use a little dry time prior to smoking.

SmokeRings

If you like a straight Virginia, their Virginia Slices are a great VA Flake. I also like their Sweet Virginia, it's a broken flake/ready rubbed VA. If you like a lose cut VaPer, their Elizabethan Match is really good. More sweet and spice than pepper. Revelation Match is an awesome crossover English with a mild plum topping. For aromatics, I love their Rum and Maple for a Burley forward easy smoke.

Sutliff gets a bad rap, but they have some really nice tobaccos in-between all them gooperific aromatics. I have several as my go to daily kind of blends. They are probably my favorite all around brand.
Even the goopers aren't half bad as long as you walk into it eyes wide open, they do get a rough rep for all the aro's they do, but I've not had a bad bowl out of Sutliff yet as long as whatever I'm ordering isn't something I know up front I would dislike

sablebrush52

Patron
Their Edgeworth Read Rub match is very good.

The thing to keep in mind is that while Sutliff released a lot of aros under their own label, it was hardly the full extent of their activities. They supplied tobacco to, and/or blended and manufactured for, a number of other labels, including Hearth & Home, Peretti, Watch City, and McClelland among others. Many people would damn Sutliff for low quality leaf, while praising other labels and blenders whose blends contained Sutliff leaf, and/or were created, blended and tinned by Sutliff.

SmokeRings

Their Edgeworth Read Rub match is very good.

The thing to keep in mind is that while Sutliff released a lot of aros under their own label, it was hardly the full extent of their activities. They supplied tobacco to, and/or blended and manufactured for, a number of other labels, including Hearth & Home, Peretti, Watch City, and McClelland among others. Many people would damn Sutliff for low quality leaf, while praising other labels and blenders whose blends contained Sutliff leaf, and/or were created, blended and tinned by Sutliff.
I've only tonight had my Watch City experience started...out of general curiosity would you happen to know which blends Sutliff had a hand in?

JimInks

Old Ted Award Winner
I've only tonight had my Watch City experience started...out of general curiosity would you happen to know which blends Sutliff had a hand in?
All the flakes are produced by Sutliff. Some of the other blends are as well. I know some are blended in house by WC, but I don't know which ones. As far as I know, WC mostly uses Sutliff tobaccos no matter which of the two companies makes them.