What's new

The best of Sutliff

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
Their Edgeworth Read Rub match is very good.

The thing to keep in mind is that while Sutliff released a lot of aros under their own label, it was hardly the full extent of their activities. They supplied tobacco to, and/or blended and manufactured for, a number of other labels, including Hearth & Home, Peretti, Watch City, and McClelland among others. Many people would damn Sutliff for low quality leaf, while praising other labels and blenders whose blends contained Sutliff leaf, and/or were created, blended and tinned by Sutliff.
Yep! I think the "best of Sutliff" is actually recipes made by other blenders and go by other names (Watch City, in particular), but they make some enjoyable stuff under the Sutliff name. I like their Union Leader and ERR'd matches and their Mapleton match, while not very close to the original, is still pretty decent, as is their 1849. The blenders that use Sutliff leaf speak very highly of it, and I'm in no position to argue.

Ernie Q

Sales
I've only tonight had my Watch City experience started...out of general curiosity would you happen to know which blends Sutliff had a hand in?
Sorry I'm late to the party here! All Watch City Flakes are formulated by Watch City (Casings included) and manufactured by Sutliff. As far as the other blends go, all are formulated and blended at Watch City. Since the end of McClelland a couple blends that relied heavily on McClelland leaf were (or soon will be) discontinued (Java Java, None of Your Business). All other blends use mainly Sutliff blending tobacco and some Stokkebye.

SmokeRings

Sorry I'm late to the party here! All Watch City Flakes are formulated by Watch City (Casings included) and manufactured by Sutliff. As far as the other blends go, all are formulated and blended at Watch City. Since the end of McClelland a couple blends that relied heavily on McClelland leaf were (or soon will be) discontinued (Java Java, None of Your Business). All other blends use mainly Sutliff blending tobacco and some Stokkebye.
Well...this is certainly improving my opinion on Sutliff, which was generally positive to start with, Watch City Slices is a fantastic blend

Ernie Q

Sales
Well...this is certainly improving my opinion on Sutliff, which was generally positive to start with, Watch City Slices is a fantastic blend
Appreciate that! I will say that the folks at Sutliff really know their stuff. They blend a lot for the masses and hey, if a million people like budweiser, you have to tap that market to stay alive.
Try Sutliff's new Krumble Kake tins. They may change your mind...

Also, Sutliff's blending leaf is as good as any out there....you just have to know how to work with it.
E.