The case of the vanishing pipe.

WrightwoodJohn

Patron
I'm a watchaholic on Ebay, and a recent bid was on a very early & rare Sasieni prince. Fishtail logo, one dot, and in seemingly excellent condition.
So I dropped a bid right away, if nothing else it goes into a bid column that I can keep a closer eye on. (the auction title did not mention "fishtail logo" or early, rare or one dot)
But poof!, it disappears with no notice of a "cancelled" bid, it is gone.
Two things come to mind, 1) someone pm'd the seller with a high offer to end the auction. 2) The seller realized they had a rare pipe & decided to end the auction & re-group.
Thoughts?

BubbaBriar

Apparently the recently posted Ebay rules (on another thread) about sellers not being able to cancel auctions with existing bids is not wholly accurate.

Best of luck to you @WrightwoodJohn
You can cancel auctions within a certain time limit in relation to the ending time of auction. 12 or more hours before end of auction. So states Ebay anyways..

Riff Raff

Definitely happens. I'll make an offer if the pipe is something I'm looking for. Usually the seller will offer to change it to a "Buy it Now", then I just have to act fast.
Good luck!

Russ H.

Fight The Good Fight
Over the past few days there was a beautiful J.T. Cooke blasted Volcano listed. Suddenly it's gone. I don't know how Ebay does things, but there were bids on that pipe--not mine, but I see it is not showing up. I find it puzzling how pipes, and other items just suddenly are no longer listed even though there are existing bids on the item. Maybe I need brought up to speed on their policies.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
I know eBay rules in Germany are different, but I‘ll share what’s the deal here:
For an extra fee, you can start an offer at 1,00 but still have a minimum for it to sell.

If bids don’t reach that, it is canceled with the seller given the option to offer it to the high ranked bidder for the minimum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know eBay rules in Germany are different, but I‘ll share what’s the deal here:
For an extra fee, you can start an offer at 1,00 but still have a minimum for it to sell.

If bids don’t reach that, it is canceled with the seller given the option to offer it to the high ranked bidder for the minimum.
Yeah, that's called a reserve. Nobody uses it.
  1. Sellers hate paying an extra dollar.
  2. Auctions with a reserve price get like half as many bids because buyers can't be bothered to find out what your "real" price is.
Reserve pricing is kinda dumb. If you have a "must reach" price, just set that as the minimum bid. Or make it "buy it now"