The Great Mylar Migration

millarddj

Perpetual whippersnapper
Patron
Finally getting around to posting this thread after a couple of month's worth of marinating.

I know that @blackmouth210, @Oouder, myself, and others were interested in, and subsequently engaged in, migrating the contents of our cellars from jars (and in some cases, tins) to mylar bags based upon input from others (reference Jerry's thread here: https://pipesmokersdens.com/threads/mylar-bags-for-tobacco-storage.5452/ ).

While that thread discussed materials, sourcing, and methods, the intent of this thread is to look at the end result and ongoing discussion for those of us who are making or have made the change. I didn't take a before-and-after picture, and my cellar is almost certainly one of the smallest of those engaged in this mylar madness, but my cellar was previously a sizeable Ikea cabinet and two large Rubbermaid totes full of tins and jars.

Now, an aside: in addition to the advent of mylar in my household, I was "gifted" a cubby above the built-in desk in our downstairs guest room by my wife to use for tobacco storage. These two things (mylar + an additional, out-of-the-way storage compartment) has reduced my cellar footprint drastically. In essence, all of the tins that I was comfortable storing got moved up into the cubby out of the cabinet, and all the tobacco I intended for long-term storage (as well as some tinned tobacco like C&D blends) got moved into mylar bags. Effectively, I reduced two very large totes to one, smaller clear-sided plastic tub, which fits alongside the tobacco tins picture below in the overhead cubby.

Now, my actual pipes and supplies are another matter, but the cellar is much more efficiently stored, and I have room to continue to grow my cellar considerably thanks to the mylar and my wife.

Did you also engage in this exercise? What does your space look like? Bonus points for before-and-after shots or a shot of bags. I will get one of the completely finished storage space with everything packed in tidily - these pictures are a week old.

20190907_124930.jpg
20190907_124952.jpg
20190907_124941.jpg

blackmouth210

Patron
Here's a better shot after loading up. I could probably fit another similarly sized tote in with ease. I would guess that there is 12 to 16 lb of tobacco in that tote, and that is hardly maximizing the capacity of most of the mylar bags.

View attachment 41188
That's fantastic.
My migration from jars to mylar may never be 100%. But I am moving in a direction that will definitely result in the large majority of my cellar being stored in mylar.

I've been happy with the performance of the mylar bags so far.

kxg

Patron
Ok, Ok... you've convinced me to give Mylar a try. I've ordered 50 ea of the 7mil pint and 2 quart bags. I figure I'll put tins in the 2 qt. and bulk in the pint bags. Pint jars are what I normally use for bulk blends, around 4oz per jar. While I like the look of jars, they are getting ungainly and I probably only have around 40 pounds in jars, another 20 in tins. If I want to grow my cellar any, I need to have an easier storage solution. I'll let you know what I think in a few weeks or so.

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
You'll have to let us know how this works out in the long term. I'm sticking with jars, but I'm one of those "resistant to change" kind of folks. They've served me well and I see no need to change, but I have to admit the mylar bags are enticing. Let us know how it works out for you!

millarddj

Perpetual whippersnapper
Patron
Ok, Ok... you've convinced me to give Mylar a try. I've ordered 50 ea of the 7mil pint and 2 quart bags. I figure I'll put tins in the 2 qt. and bulk in the pint bags. Pint jars are what I normally use for bulk blends, around 4oz per jar. While I like the look of jars, they are getting ungainly and I probably only have around 40 pounds in jars, another 20 in tins. If I want to grow my cellar any, I need to have an easier storage solution. I'll let you know what I think in a few weeks or so.
Yes, please let us know how it goes.

You'll have to let us know how this works out in the long term. I'm sticking with jars, but I'm one of those "resistant to change" kind of folks. They've served me well and I see no need to change, but I have to admit the mylar bags are enticing. Let us know how it works out for you!
I think YMMV depending on space. I frankly prefer jars, because I like to be able to look at stuff all the time, but the weight, space, and cost savings are pretty clear with mylar. Especially for those with smaller or more limited spaces (rotten kids)!

Jhelms

I think your cubby looks great. My cellared tobacco are not nearly so organized. I know where they all are and how much of each I have but it would take someone a good deal of time and brainpower to figure out my crazy system. I think I will work on that when winter rolls in and I don't want to spend so much time outdoors.

glassjapan

I prefer mylar and wished I had started using them a decade ago. I don't jar new stuff anymore...everything gets sealed in 7 mil bags.
I will say this though, the jars stack & store much easier. Fill up the jars & fill up the cases they came in. Stacks easily in the corner. I toss my Mylar bags in a tote, but in the end, I'm not sure it's less space overall. Having said that, I won't be using jars ever again.

cajunrph

Figuring out life, one puff at a time.
Patron
Well I just placed an order for pint and quart bags. I just bought jars to cellar my stash. I wasn't too sure on how it would all fit on my shelves. Seems like the Mylar bags will be better.

Question for what you're currently smoking. I've been bouncing between quite a few blends lately. I'm guessing the ziplock mylar bags are far superior to sandwich bags. What about open tins? Do y'all transfer open tins to mylar bags without heat sealing them? I have way too many open tins as it is, not to mention all the bulk I have.

Sonarman

92D64700-DC2F-4EE2-BF55-E4496B3E224A.jpeg 20247850-3805-4A5B-B868-68AC8F890039.jpeg 57790FE1-3A65-460A-A3E4-4D128694A5A2.jpeg 1BEFBCEF-A006-4096-BB12-6774AB397191.jpeg

Ran out of bags (50) and I have 6 tins left. The Montgomery is 8oz. These are pint bags and you can fit 4oz in them if you smoosh it. The other is from a 2oz tin. It’s more labor intensive than jars (I don’t clean my jars, just use them new). If you have flakes , the little trays that hold the flakes help funnel them into the bag. Iron on its hottest setting.