The Greatest Pipe Smoker

easterngray

I originally thought I would post this under the “historical pipe smokers pics” thread, but I think it truly deserves its own thread.
In August of 1777 General Nicholas Herkimer lead the Tryon County NY Militia on a mission to relieve the besieged Fort Stanwix which had been occupied by British forces. On August 6, the 800 faithful patriots under his command were ambushed by a mixed party of British regulars and Mohawk Indians allied with the British. The battle, known as the Battle of Oriskany, was one of the bloodiest of the entire Revolution and proved a turning point in the war. In the course of the battle Herkimer was wounded, and while propped beneath a tree, he calmly lit his pipe and directed his forces in their battle. Urged to retreat the field, he exclaimed “I will face the enemy!” Ten days later, he died as a result of a botched amputation of his wounded leg.
Almost all depictions of the General on the field of battle show him with his pipe. Below is a picture of the statue erected in his honor in the town of Herkimer NY.
I mean to urge Russ Oullette to blend a mixture called “Herkimer” someday in the Generals honor. Certainly, all faithful patriots today should light a bowl on August 6th in memeory of him and the many patriots that fell on that terrible day...
15DDF6A7-8594-40AF-98AD-111FE7B33003.jpeg
General Nicholas Herkimer, pipe in hand, directing his troops at the battle of Oriskany, August 6, 1777.

Jhelms

That is an excellent post and a fabulous story. I don't believe it will be destroyed in the future because if they did that they would have to destroy the Capitol Building. Notice the Native Tobacco Leaves on the top of every column in the capitol. I also think the molding in the tray ceiling is depicting tobacco leaves as well.
Capitol Building C.jpg

Last edited:

blackmouth210

I originally thought I would post this under the “historical pipe smokers pics” thread, but I think it truly deserves its own thread.
In August of 1777 General Nicholas Herkimer lead the Tryon County NY Militia on a mission to relieve the besieged Fort Stanwix which had been occupied by British forces. On August 6, the 800 faithful patriots under his command were ambushed by a mixed party of British regulars and Mohawk Indians allied with the British. The battle, known as the Battle of Oriskany, was one of the bloodiest of the entire Revolution and proved a turning point in the war. In the course of the battle Herkimer was wounded, and while propped beneath a tree, he calmly lit his pipe and directed his forces in their battle. Urged to retreat the field, he exclaimed “I will face the enemy!” Ten days later, he died as a result of a botched amputation of his wounded leg.
Almost all depictions of the General on the field of battle show him with his pipe. Below is a picture of the statue erected in his honor in the town of Herkimer NY.
I mean to urge Russ Oullette to blend a mixture called “Herkimer” someday in the Generals honor. Certainly, all faithful patriots today should light a bowl on August 6th in memeory of him and the many patriots that fell on that terrible day...
View attachment 24311
General Nicholas Herkimer, pipe in hand, directing his troops at the battle of Oriskany, August 6, 1777.

This is awesome.
Thanks for sharing that. This hero and story were unknown to me.