The never-ending search for something different, new, and utterly cool.

C

Cap'n Terrible

We all know it, we all experience it, and no matter how extensive our pipe collection may be, always, at the back of our minds, there lurks the lust, the desire, for something different, new, and utterly cool, for something we simply have to have. Whether it be large or small, long or short, rough or smooth its image haunts us until we can finally experience the happiness of actually possessing it and making it the pride and joy of our collection.

Phew!

Purple prose is not easy to write and I'm not altogether sure that what I've written makes sense so let's see pictures, not of your latest acquisition, but of the gem of your collection, the one pipe that you would be least willing to part with and that best embodies the qualities you find most desirable in a pipe. Here 's mine - it's a 1970's Federico Rivera that for me was love at first sight:

A_Federico Rivera Italy 1970's.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
I’ve got a handful that I’d probably never get rid of but this one will be the last to go. @Spillproof talked me into buying it and I’m glad he did.
View attachment 16388
Yes it's very easy to sell Abe Herbaugh pipes.
So easy that I do it for nothing.

I really can't pick a favorite pipe.
That's not me being evasive or trying to be a prick, I'm just a pipe nerd and there are too many variables at play.
But probably a BST though.

Or an Alden, Armentrout, Cooke, Herbaugh, King, Layton, Maddis, Parks, Piersel... Or maybe a Castello or a Dunhill. Or a Radice.

Oh hell I dunno.

Last edited:
C

Cap'n Terrible

I’ve got a handful that I’d probably never get rid of but this one will be the last to go. @Spillproof talked me into buying it and I’m glad he did.
View attachment 16388
Very nice. Love that grain. I have a theory that the kind of finish we most like - rough or smooth - indicates our personality type or the current that runs most deeply in our psyche. I wonder what a rusticated finish indicates because I like that most too. Are there any psychologists on board - or psychoanalysts?

JustScott

As of right now, probably my MM bent apple Diplomat with a freehand stem. It's great in the hand, smokes as well as any cob with 900ish bowls through it, and looks like pretty much any cob with 900ish bowls through it. There are several makers on my "someday" list, but this is the one they'll be competing with, when I get them.
20181008_131858.jpg

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
One of my hobbies is restoring estate pipes. I taught myself by buying cheap estate pipes and restoring them myself. I sold 4 of them last month and have another 15 I am trying to sell or donate to troops overseas.
I understand, but in that case the pipes were never bought to be YOUR smoking pipes, but to be restored and become
someone else's smoking pipes. right?

Every pipe I own has its story to tell, and that's why they are special to me.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
View attachment 16684
This magical BST pipe. I have a lot of great smokers and many that I would never part with, but........ this one for sure is going nowhere except my mouth.
I assume this is the pic @Sasquatch posted here before you bought it right? this doesn't look like it's been in anyone's mouth yet.

If this is a picture of a smoked pipe, you've gotta tell me your secret cleaning method.

it's of course a very pretty BST pipe.

C

Cap'n Terrible

Yes it's very easy to sell Abe Herbaugh pipes.
So easy that I do it for nothing.

I really can't pick a favorite pipe.
That's not me being evasive or trying to be a prick, I'm just a pipe nerd and there are too many variables at play.
But probably a BST though.

Or an Alden, Armentrout, Cooke, Herbaugh, King, Layton, Maddis, Parks, Piersel... Or maybe a Castello or a Dunhill. Or a Radice.

Oh hell I dunno.
What a fantastic grain! You can almost feel the tremendous energy of the tree as it flows upward thrusting itself into the light. There's a haiku somewhere in that second picture but I can't think of one just now. :).

PappyJoe

Senior Chief
Patron
I understand, but in that case the pipes were never bought to be YOUR smoking pipes, but to be restored and become
someone else's smoking pipes. right?

Every pipe I own has its story to tell, and that's why they are special to me.
Actually, every estate pipe I've bought I've smoked numerous times. I just started selling some of them off when I realized I had 60 pipes and some I haven't touched in months.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Actually, every estate pipe I've bought I've smoked numerous times.
I just started selling some of them off when I realized I had 60 pipes and some I haven't touched in months.
My question was: your main intention when buying those estates was to have a new restoration project, right?
In that case, the accumulation of pipes just has to happen automatically, because once you're done with restoration,
you're done.

In my case, the acquisition of pipes is mainly done in order to keep and smoke that exact pipe I just bought, so
I don't necessarily need to buy more and more pipes to be able to keep that hobby going.

So as a guy who likes the restoration of pipes, it's a given you're either hoarding pipes or selling some, because you need
to buy more.