The Oldest Cob?

Governator

Some say cobs are temporary and others say they can last a lifetime.

I suppose if you smoked like a freight train and smoked them everyday and maybe only had a handful of pipes in rotation or no rotation this would be true.

There was a time when pipes were more utilitarian the average working class man would smoke out of the same pipe or a few in a rotation.

These same pipes were seldom cleaned and reamed I've seen many such pipes in antique shops with cake as thick as a pink rubber eraser...

I've seen similar cobs in these same shops and so I wonder in today's age can a cob last a lifetime with proper cleaning, care, and rotation?

JRobert

Nuclear Moderator
Staff member
I have had cobs fail -- they get a crack I can't repair with glue and a zip tie. I have others even older that have no problems.

A cob might last forever, but I don't think the average cob will last as long as a good briar. And I smoke nothing but cobs, so I am not saying that as someone who does not like cobs.

Governator

The first cob I had I'm still not sure what the heck it was I obtained it in 2006.

I'm certain it wasn't a MM but then I remember it coming with a Medico pipe filter unless it was actually a Medico brand.

My grandfather told me to use a pocket knife to ream the cake of a pipe or clear out loose leaf.

Long story short I was trying to clear some leaf or debris at the bottom and somehow or another the knife went through the bottom of the bowl.

I don't remember if there was a Missouri Meerschaum sticker on the bottom and maybe I had taken it off or if it was a Medico brand pipe or some other off-brand pipe that used similar filters.

I had two I gave one to my brother and for some odd reason I remember one of these having a blue translucent bit but we're talking a long time ago.

If anything it might have been a Legend which don't have hardwood plugs.

After that I never smoked a cob until 2018 when a friend of mine on another forum who I correspond with kept suggesting that I get one.

So I went to my B&M store and got a Country Gentleman and a bag of Virginia Flake because I was also branching out of Aromatics.

My second was a Cobbit Shire, my third was a Little Devil, my fourth was a Huck Finn, and my fifth was a Emerald, my sixth was Pot of Gold, and my seventh is a Bing.

I have a few others on my wish list whenever they come back in stock.

My first cob is still in excellent condition I don't smoke everyday or that pipe everytime I have a good rotation of pipes so it's held up well.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The first cob I had I'm still not sure what the heck it was I obtained it in 2006.

I'm certain it wasn't a MM but then I remember it coming with a Medico pipe filter unless it was actually a Medico brand.

My grandfather told me to use a pocket knife to ream the cake of a pipe or clear out loose leaf.

Long story short I was trying to clear some leaf or debris at the bottom and somehow or another the knife went through the bottom of the bowl.

I don't remember if there was a Missouri Meerschaum sticker on the bottom and maybe I had taken it off or if it was a Medico brand pipe or some other off-brand pipe that used similar filters.

I had two I gave one to my brother and for some odd reason I remember one of these having a blue translucent bit but we're talking a long time ago.

If anything it might have been a Legend which don't have hardwood plugs.

After that I never smoked a cob until 2018 when a friend of mine on another forum who I correspond with kept suggesting that I get one.

So I went to my B&M store and got a Country Gentleman and a bag of Virginia Flake because I was also branching out of Aromatics.

My second was a Cobbit Shire, my third was a Little Devil, my fourth was a Huck Finn, and my fifth was a Emerald, my sixth was Pot of Gold, and my seventh is a Bing.

I have a few others on my wish list whenever they come back in stock.

My first cob is still in excellent condition I don't smoke everyday or that pipe everytime I have a good rotation of pipes so it's held up well.
The bottom of a cob is just plaster of paris or similar. I have frequently put holes into it with a pipe tool.

No harm done -- the hole plugs with ash the next time you smoke it and you forget about it.

Chasing Embers

Some say cobs are temporary and others say they can last a lifetime.
I have a General from 2005 that's still going.

I suppose if you smoked like a freight train and smoked them everyday and maybe only had a handful of pipes in rotation or no rotation this would be true.
I often smoke the same pipe multiple times per day for a week and often longer, cobs included. Let them cool between smokes and clean them after each use, and they'll likely outlive their user. Though I have several cobs, this one seems to be the one I most often reach for.

20200503_111727.jpg

Yakster

Patron
I have a General from 2005 that's still going.

I often smoke the same pipe multiple times per day for a week and often longer, cobs included. Let them cool between smokes and clean them after each use, and they'll likely outlive their user. Though I have several cobs, this one seems to be the one I most often reach for.

View attachment 79608
Beautiful cob and matching tamper.

Deus Ex Fumus

I’ve got cobs that were smoked heavily in from the 50’s. A little Elmers and some TLC and they still smoke just fine. As long as you’re not down right abusive, they’ll usually last, unless there’s some built-in flaw that got by.

edit: I should note, that the plaster they use can come loose from the cob as it ages, creating pinholes. I think this has a lot to do with exposure/temperature swings. If it just has a couple pinholes, it’s fixable, but I’ve come across some where it was just a lost cause.

Last edited:

SmokeRings

Patron
I believe that @blackmouth210 has the correct answer, if memory serves the Commodore was well above the 2000 smoke count, was smoked many times per day and no special maintenance was ever really given to him, reamed out, swabbed with a cleaner, and perhaps the occasional sunbathing, the only thing that brought his demise was getting lost, he had showed no signs of being ready to quit, I bet he'd have gone at least double or triple that count if circumstances had allowed for it.