What's new

The plug thread V 2.0

Hawky454

Man, what a great thread! I love the pics and seeing what you have to say about these. The only three I haven't tried of these is the Cob Plug, God I wish that were available in the states cause I seriously love 1792 Flake, Erinmore Plug (rip) and Full Virginia Plug. Great stuff, keep up the good work.

Last edited:

DannoH

Patron
Man, what a great thread! I love the pics and seeing what you have to say about these. The only three I haven't tried of these is the Cob Plug, God I wish that were available in the states cause I seriously love 1792 Flake, Erinmore Plug (rip) and Full Virginia Plug. Great stuff, keep up the good work.
Glad you dig. It has been a good deal of fun putting it together.

Hawky454

And on...

The subject of this little investigation is none other than the much-lauded Revor Plug. I have a stash of the stuff that is over a decade old, but for our purposes here, recently popped for a few pouches of the current production. I believe this is produced by the good people at Gawith & Hoggarth.

The pouch is an odd shade of yellow, and the olde-timey red script is plain but immediately catches the eye. As does the rather distasteful health warning – more like a command - which occupies a large portion of the pouch’s real estate. Sigh.

Pressing on reveals a longish, rectangular black clump of tobacco, rather softer and messier than the tightly cubic plugs that have graced my blue cutting board previously. Running my sniffer along its length reveals a cornucopia of scent, all remarkably understated – those loathe to engage with ‘Lakeland sauce’ shouldn’t be put off. Hints of leather, lavender, cinnamon, mint, and dark burley are immediately apparent, but without much fanfare, nothing aggressive. Interesting!

There is also a trace of the slightly fetid scent that ropes give off, something suggesting fermentation and slightly rancid meat, that lets the user know that Nick O’Teen is nearby, and will be coming ‘round shortly.

Plug n’ pouch:

On the board, the plug is very easy to disassemble, and I took the liberty of taking it apart in three different ways, attempting to showcase its utility: cut into lengthways flakes, simply pulled apart, and then cubed widthways. It is remarkably easy to handle, and a knife isn’t really necessary if you haven’t one to hand. This stuff would be easy to throw into a pipe bag and then just pull hunks from when ready to enjoy afield.

As such:

I crumble Revor up, gently, wait 5 minutes or so, and then stuff ‘er into a pipe. One or two crowning lights (matches, please), and let it sit for a moment or three. Then light slowly and methodically, and the thing commences.

The very first taste I get is… latakia. You can smell it in the roomnote, too: faint, but definitely there. In perusing other reviews of Revor, this has been made mention of, and the presence of the smoky stuff might serve to soften the firmer edges of the blend, or just add another dimension. It is a bit pale, though, and as my mouth warms to the smoke, the ability to taste it lessens.

The dark-fired shows up in the retrohale, and in the tickle that dances around my epiglottis. There is some spice here, not reminiscent of perique, but of the throat-drying and woody type particular to DFK. Revor is rich in taste, and suggestive of something like cocoa pudding: big, round, and filling. I can’t smoke this stuff after a large meal; it’s just too rich. Getting past that, this plug is full in flavour, and with some strength too, but remarkably easy to get on with. Smooooth, it is.

What a treat. Still available on the Atlantic side of things, and not cheaply, but well worth a look for a chance to experience a throwback of tobacco taste and dimension.
I’m curious, the 10 year old Revor Plug that you have stashed away, do you know if GH&Co were the producers of it back then? Does anyone know how long GH&Co have been making it? I know MLC has thread regarding its history but I don’t think he was clear as to when GH&Co took over production.

Oh and by the way, I much appreciate the fact that you also taste Latakia in Revor Plug, a point I tired to make a couple years ago in the Pipes Mag forum and people thought I was totally nuts! That is also where the comparison of McConnell’s Latakia Flake comes in, if you have had the latter I would like to know your thoughts on it, I find the two to be remarkably similar not only in base tobacco’s but in the slight top dressing as well. Latakia Flake is a poor name for that tobacco because Lat most certainly is not the dominate player but more subtle like it is in Revor Plug.

Last edited: