The xrundog 2024 Pipe Restoration Thread

xrundog

Pipe Rescuer
Sales
Next project is a Kriswell 1801. I have been looking for a Bing White Xmas pipe. This one isn't really close, but the shape is similar as is the stem profile. The price was right so I thought I'd give it a try and see if I like smoking it. It's kind of dainty and the chamber walls are thin. The bowl is in good shape, just needs a clean up. The stem is heavily oxidized. The rubber is soft. Soft rubber seems worse for oxidizing. I have wet sanded it a lot and I think it's pretty clean. This soft rubber is resisting a nice glassy finish, but I think with a lot of repeated buffing I'll get it there.

Kriswell 1801 Before 1.JPG

Kriswell 1801 Before 2.JPG

Grimpeur

Patron
One thing I've learned from my limited handling of used pipes over the years is that there are several grades of vulcanite! Dunhill stems are always a joy to work with. I'm looking forward to seeing how you handle this one.

I've wondered what the heck some of the Wally Frank (and, locally, Trypis) pipes use: black comes off on the polishing cloth.

xrundog

Pipe Rescuer
Sales
The coarse wheel didn't improve the stem at all. So I used the fine wheel and gave the stem a buff every time I walked past it. Then I used Obsidian Oil on it. The Kriswell logo is partially visible on top of the stem. I may work on it more later but I am satisfied for now. The pipe looks okay. It's on deck for my next smoke.

Kriswell 1801 Restored 1.JPG

Kriswell 1801 restored 2.JPG

xrundog

Pipe Rescuer
Sales
I received a nice antique in the mail today. Shank stamp says: Liggett's Hand Made. The shank is elliptical or football shaped and it has a sterling stamped band. The stem appears to be amberloid. My guess is it's a late 19th early 20th century pipe. Or as I like to say, 1900ish. Pretty typical American pipe of that era. This pipe doesn't appear to have been smoked a lot. No appreciable cake and the airways came clean quickly. Seems like the dirt and nicks are just from being knocked around for 100+ years. I wiped the dirt off the stummel and the original finish looks pretty good. I'll use MicroMesh on it to smooth it out a bit and return a nice glow. The stem has some chips and the stem tenon threads are stripped. The stem will take most of my time. Should turn out really nice though.

Liggett's Hand Made 1900ish Before1.JPG

Liggett's Hand Made 1900ish Before 2.JPG

xrundog

Pipe Rescuer
Sales
I finished the Liggett's Hand Made in short order. The bowl cleaned up nice. No interesting grain to speak of, but the old timers didn't care about that. These were smoking machines. I filled a couple large chips on the stem and cleaned up some of the little ones. It's shiny and clean and looks like an antique. It smokes old. Maybe some flavored tobacco is in order.

Liggett's Hand Made 1900ish Restored 1.JPG

Liggett's Hand Made 1900ish Restored 2.JPG

xrundog

Pipe Rescuer
Sales
Received an older Vienna Meerschaum today. I've been on the lookout for a good one for a while. I'd prefer a billiard but this is a nice bent apple in the LVC style. It has the mottled finish with the fumed rim. The stem is Bakelite with metal screw threads. It has a nice faux alligator leather case. Probably a 40s-50s pipe. The Bakelite stem is in great shape. No toothier, just dirty. I tossed it in some Oxyclean to loosen the airway dirt. The bowl finish is dull and there is some cake and rim crud. I sanded out the cake and soaked the rim with a damp sock to soften the crud. It wiped off easily. I also wiped the dirt off the exterior with a damp rag. Once I have the shank clean my plan is to finger polish the surface with Brebbia stem polish to bring back the shine. It should come out looking great!

Vienna Meerschaum LVC Apple Before 1.JPG

Vienna Meerschaum LVC Apple Before 2.JPG

Vienna Meerschaum LVC Apple Case.JPG

xrundog

Pipe Rescuer
Sales
I spent most of my time getting the shank clean. Meerschaum soaks up an amazing amount of crud. I got the stem airway clean and finger polished it with Brebbia stem polish. I also used the polish on the bowl. I did it twice and brought it back to a high gloss finish. I'm pretty happy with it. I'm going to let it dry out completely before having a smoke.

Vienna Meerschaum LVC Apple Restored 1.JPG

Vienna Meerschaum LVC Apple Restored 2.JPG

Vienna Meerschaum LVC Apple Restored 3.JPG

xrundog

Pipe Rescuer
Sales
I received 2 pipes bought on eBay today. The first is an amber stem meerschaum. The pipe appeared to be so nice that I thought it must be late era for these types of pipes. It's a chubby billiard and turned out to be unusually large for its type. 5.5" long x 2" tall with a 7/8" bore. It has the round hole at the button and a pierced style draught hole in the chamber. It also has a fine threaded bone tenon which marks it as European. Possibly German. So it appears to be a genuine 1890-1910 pipe. Which is crazy! Because the case is almost perfect outside and clean on the inside. This pipe was maybe smoked a handful of times. The bowl is bright white without dings or scratches. There is light blackening at the rim. I wiped it with a damp rag and am calling it good because after I smoke it a few times it will be darker than it is now. The airways are clean. Looks like all I have to do is polish the stem and it's ready to go. Not much of a restoration, I know. I just want to to share it.

German 1900 Large Chubby Billiard Meerschaum 1.JPG

German 1900 Large Chubby Billiard 3.JPG

German 1900 Large Chubby Billiard 2 .JPG

The second pipe is going to be my Bing's White Christmas pipe. It's not a perfect match, but it's very close. It's a Kriswell Hand Made smooth 1801. It's decent and needs a good cleaning and detailing. There's some shallow tooth wear to deal with, but the stem isn't heavily oxidized. It should clean up really well.

Kriswell Hand Made Smooth 1801 Before 1.JPG

Kriswell Hand Made Smooth 1801 Before 2.JPG

xrundog

Pipe Rescuer
Sales
I polished the stem on the chubby amber stem Meer. It's pretty! Going to wait until March to smoke it.

German 1900 Large Chubby Billiard Meerschaum Polished 1.JPG

German 1900 Large Chubby Billiard Meerschaum Polished 2.JPG

I also Finished the smooth Kriswell. I used Magic Eraser and Soft Scrub cleanser to clean it. I had to wet sand a bit around the taper and shank end. It was fairly easy. Then a good buff and some Obsidian Oil. The bowl was scratched up so I used some 800g to smooth it a bit. Then I used MicroMesh cloth to polish it. I also smoothed the rim a bit. I used a dark brown stain wash to even out the color and waxed it. This pipe was used pretty hard so I am okay with how it came out.

Kriswell Hand Made Smooth 1801 Bing Xmas 1.JPG

Kriswell Hand Made Smooth 1801 Bing Xmas 2.JPG

Kriswell Hand Made Smooth 1801 Bing Xmas 3.JPG

onesixonetwo

is the code to my ❤️
Sales
I polished the stem on the chubby amber stem Meer. It's pretty! Going to wait until March to smoke it.

View attachment 246796

View attachment 246797

I also Finished the smooth Kriswell. I used Magic Eraser and Soft Scrub cleanser to clean it. I had to wet sand a bit around the taper and shank end. It was fairly easy. Then a good buff and some Obsidian Oil. The bowl was scratched up so I used some 800g to smooth it a bit. Then I used MicroMesh cloth to polish it. I also smoothed the rim a bit. I used a dark brown stain wash to even out the color and waxed it. This pipe was used pretty hard so I am okay with how it came out.

View attachment 246800

View attachment 246801

View attachment 246802
That beefy meer is a beaut! Do you look through all the meerschaum listings on eBay to find a pipe like this?

xrundog

Pipe Rescuer
Sales
I got a pipe in today that will keep me busy for awhile. It's an S.M. Frank Sargent with a patent date on the shank of June 1913. Cool right? Here's the eBay pic.

s-l1600.jpg

First thing I did was try and figure the patent application. It appears to be a unique tenon airway configuration. The airway is drilled 5/64" into the wall of the shank. There is a hole in the front of the mortise that lines up with a corresponding hole in the front of the tenon. The tenon also has a hole in the bottom. So, in theory, the smoke comes into the tenon and the moisture drops out the bottom into a shank that is one big well or moisture trap. I took pics. The mortise hole is hard to see as it's in shadow.

DSC01161.JPG

DSC01160.JPG

DSC01162.JPG

I took those pics and Then when putting the stem back in, the tenon snapped. I guess something is out of round a bit and the tenon is very old and brittle hard rubber. Now I could probably just make another tenon that would work. But while smoking, I concocted a rather elaborate plan of repair that just might work. The first step is getting the piece of tenon out of the shank.

DSC01163.JPG

I had to order a cheap slide hammer from Amazon. It's the first time I've needed one. We'll see how that works out. Because if it doesn't it's all moot. I'll keep you posted.

xrundog

Pipe Rescuer
Sales
I got my slide hammer in yesterday. I have been tap, tap, tapping and the tenon has not come loose yet. I'll just keep at it until it comes loose or comes apart.
In the meantime I just got this Dunhill. It was sold as a 1978, but the date codes are 8 and 9. So it's a 1968 Shell Briar 591 F/T. It's very lightly used. Not my favorite shape but I could see the condition is really good and the price was comparatively low, so I bought it. It's a big one, measuring in at 2.25" tall with a big fat fishtail stem. The chamber is .75". The rim is pretty clean and unmarked. The stem has no tooth marks. Very little cake and the chamber heel isn't charred. The main issue is that the stem front is oxidized. I'm going to try to stick with Magic Eraser and Soft Scrub to clean it up. I've already soaked the rim soot once and most of it wiped off. Once more and it should be clean. Stamps are in good shape. It's a very nice pipe.

1968 Dunhill 591 F:T Before 1.JPG

1968 Dunhill 591 F:T Before 2.JPG

1968 Dunhill 591 F:T Before 3.JPG

1968 Dunhill 591 F:T Before 4.JPG

Top Bottom