This was my Grandpa’s pipe old Carey!

Yakster

It's not really a tenon since it floats free instead of attaching the stem to the stummel. The stem is oversized and fits on the larger cylinder below the filter to create the open space for the "Magic Inch" filter which draws in some air with each puff supposedly to give you a cooler, dryer smoker. Some believe that this will result in less flavor and some block the vents to disable the "Magic Inch" system.

Nate

It's not really a tenon since it floats free instead of attaching the stem to the stummel. The stem is oversized and fits on the larger cylinder below the filter to create the open space for the "Magic Inch" filter which draws in some air with each puff supposedly to give you a cooler, dryer smoker. Some believe that this will result in less flavor and some block the vents to disable the "Magic Inch" system.
Do the filters work? Do you like using them?

Yakster

The filters don't block the airflow through the tube and only absorb moisture and let through outside air, they smoke better with the filters, unless you block the vents, but it's rare I reach for my two Carey's. The filters are still available.

Big Beat

Careys are nice, but for me the problem is the stem. It just feels like cheap plastic, because it is. I had one Carey that I really liked and considered converting it to a standard pipe with a custom vulcanite or acrylic stem, but eventually just sold it. The Magic Inch system itself I could take or leave, but the plastic stem was a deal breaker.

Nate

Careys are nice, but for me the problem is the stem. It just feels like cheap plastic, because it is. I had one Carey that I really liked and considered converting it to a standard pipe with a custom vulcanite or acrylic stem, but eventually just sold it. The Magic Inch system itself I could take or leave, but the plastic stem was a deal breaker.
Who would you contact to make a new stem for one?

Top Bottom