Tilled and ready

Olmstead

PSD Slow Smoke Winner
@JerseyPiper - Did you plant 'em yet? I'd love to see.

Sheet, my garden has standing water on it.
I used to have drainage problems at my old house, where there the soil was full of clay and rocks (now I have sand, haha). If you haven't planted yet, till it again deeply. Make and plant in tall mounded rows. If you've already planted, digging a modest trench down the center of the garden and encompassing it—just like a moat—can be very helpful.

JerseyPiper

I dont have any pics of the tobacco plants, but Ill take some tonight and post. They are doing OK i think, but still are establishing. I planted them on Saturday, and accidentally broke the main stem of one. I think itll make it, one of the smaller stems has green in it still and seems to be getting better.

Heres some pics showing the garden before the tobacco went in.

Attachments

JerseyPiper

@JerseyPiper - Did you plant 'em yet? I'd love to see.

I used to have drainage problems at my old house, where there the soil was full of clay and rocks (now I have sand, haha). If you haven't planted yet, till it again deeply. Make and plant in tall mounded rows. If you've already planted, digging a modest trench down the center of the garden and encompassing it—just like a moat—can be very helpful.
I know what you mean! We had a big rain yesterday and it was pooling up beside my rows while it was coming down. I have sandy soil here, good drainage, so it was not pooling for long.

0D589D36-40A2-419F-B8AE-9204453C2BD3.jpeg

JerseyPiper

Time for an update! Things are growin like heck and im picking zucchini and stringbeans already. My three tobacco plants look pretty good so far. Im getting really nervous about curing/aging, its looming ahead and i have no plan other than hang them in my shed and hope.

Anyone have any advice for simple home curing/aging of the leaves?

C5B185EA-04F1-428B-8EAC-F67236214793.jpeg
A5533760-E346-4FEB-B0AC-8A54E27765DD.jpeg

JerseyPiper

So odd to me to see green leaves harvested already. I'm used to seeing bright leaf VA picked from the bottom up after the leaves yellow! Good luck with your crop @JerseyPiper I've really enjoyed this thread and seeing your progress. It gives me motivation to give it a try!
We had a big thunderstorm that really kncked things around a week or so ago. I tried to get the plants to stand back up straight, but no luck. In my frustration i just loped the whole plant at the bottom and hung them. Close enough lol! We'll see how it goes... These pics are from a week ago, things are curing pretty well. Browning nicley, good leathery feel.

Olmstead

PSD Slow Smoke Winner
Well despite having to harvest a bit early, you @JerseyPiper are the very first person on this (new) forum to grow your own tobacco, and now it's curing. I'd say that deserves a round of applause. Let us know how they're doing, and when you can, snap another photo or two.

We finally spent the money here to have some trees cut to let the sunshine into the garden, and the veggies exploded this year, so next year I plan on (that's always the saying, heh) expanding my garden twofold to about 30'x15', which should give me plenty of room to grow a row of the Orientals I've wanted to plant for two years now.

Cheers!

So I have to say, overall I'm really really really surprised at how good this came out. Before deciding to grow my own, I did a bit of reading and found myself very confused about the whole aging process. It sounded like I had to be some mad alchemist to get anything remotely good or smokeable - messing with kilns, flues, sun curing, whatever. Well, I'm here today to tell you that yes - those processes probably do deliver a good (better) product, BUT, you can do perfectly fine just growing some tobacco, hanging it in a shed, letting it brown, and then smoking it.

I grew Kelly Burly from New Hope Seed Company, and it tastes pretty good. Its a very plain taste, but it smokes fine and has a good, albeit simple, flavor. Its also pretty strong. The analogy I like to use for this is potatoes. I cooked a good potato. It wasn't bad tasting. It tasted about as good as a nice fresh potato boiled and mashed, but nothing more. It really could use some salt, pepper, and butter, so to speak. Maybe next year I will grow a few other types of tobacco and add them to spice things up. The stuff in tins on my shelf? Those are loaded baked potatoes or even better - complete meals. Some by master chefs, others more in the vein of 'fast food', but all decidedly more complex than what I grew and smoked tonight.

I'll be at it again next year!