What's new

Tip Does a Terrible Job Reviewing Good Tobacco

tipofthelake

Fire in big hole, small hole in face--WalkinStick
Patron
I think it's pretty well established that I am a GH fanboy. I ordered some ennerdale early on and I have hardly been smoking anything but delicious flowers and soap since then. I feel like I should try more things, however, so I picked up a sampling of different things to get started.
20190211_202757.jpg
St Bruno was my first pick because I thought it seemed like it was probably most similar to what I have been enjoying. After coercing the tin lid to open with a few choice words and a dime I was greeted with a vaguely floral but distinctly tobacco smell, and the darkish flakes under the gold foil, while somewhat thinner and more delicate than I am used to, felt at once familiar. They break up and rub out easily, and have enough resiliency to fold and stuff.
20190211_202809.jpg
Over the last week I have tried all of these methods, and all have been enjoyable, but my preference has been to break it up roughly into sticks and load them vertically, mushing a bit as needed for the correct draw. Lighting is fairly easy, with a predictable amount of expansion leading me to employ the charring/true light routine except on the fully rubbed out flake, which lit and stayed lit. I have smoked this in my little prince, a couple lovats, and a cob.
My thoughts on lighting are a vague sweetness, extremely enjoyable scent, a little bit of spiciness in the snork, but nothing objectionable. The smoke is full feeling and creamy, bit of tang on the tongue, almost reminiscent of latakia but without the taste, if that makes sense. The flavor gets more intense in the last third of the bowl. I am guessing that is the Kentucky, and if so I need to try some more blends with it in them.
I'm not going to wow you with how many or few matches are required, because frankly my dear, I don't give a damn, but I will say it burns pretty well even without much drying. I usually need a pipe cleaner about half way through, but that's pretty normal for me and doesn't bother me in the least. If I take it slow it will simmer on down, if I go too quickly it will get a bit harsh and more wet, so I have been taking it slow.
Nicotine wise I rate this medium. If you're a lightweight take it easy, otherwise it's a nonissue.
If you haven't tried anything from GH and are curious I think this would be a safe blend to test the waters with as it is similar without being full on perfume. If you like lakelands but haven't tried this by all means give it a go and I think you'll like it.

There you are, my first review y'all.

Kiowapipe

Nice review, man. I still haven't tried that one, but you make me want to give it a shot. You also make me miss Condor... That stuff was legit. Still is, I suppose, for our friends in the empire.

I googled "St Bruno Keith Richards" because I vaguely remember some association there, and I stumbled across this 17 page review:

http://tobacbuytemplate.weebly.com/blog/cheap-st-bruno-pipe-tobacco

😨
Holy crap.

tipofthelake

Patron
Nice review, man. I still haven't tried that one, but you make me want to give it a shot. You also make me miss Condor... That stuff was legit. Still is, I suppose, for our friends in the empire.

I googled "St Bruno Keith Richards" because I vaguely remember some association there, and I stumbled across this 17 page review:

http://tobacbuytemplate.weebly.com/blog/cheap-st-bruno-pipe-tobacco

😨
Holy crap.
Oh wow, that's like the tobacco review version of the journals from Seven...

tipofthelake

Patron
Nice write up. St Bruno has dark deep flavor I can’t put my finger on. I have what’s left of two pouches I had sent over from a friend in London. Is it available stateside now?
Yes, what I have came from SP.

Haven't tried that one either. For some reason I thought it was a MacBaren product.
Well, yes it is apparently according to the back of the tin. I suppose I could have been more clear in my closing that it's vaguely similar to the soaps, not from the same makers.

tipofthelake

Patron
Round two

I added a can of Granger to my cart pretty much on a whim last month based solely on the fact that I didn't find Carter Hall objectionable and found Prince Albert fairly enjoyable. I figured it's an old codger blend that's been around forever for a reason, and worst case it would last pretty much forever in jars being burley.
On popping the can open I was greeted by...raisins maybe? I don't know, it's vaguely sweet and honestly a little weird, but in a good way. The texture is just as they claim, a rough cross cut, and the moisture level is nigh on perfect for smoking. It packs nice and easy as a codger tobacco should, and lights up easily. The taste is nutty, a faint hint of molasses sweetness that seems to fade as the bowl burns down, and honestly it just tastes and snorks like what I imagine when I try to think of old guys smoking pipe tobacco, which is smooth and pleasant. If you try to smoke it too fast it will get harsh, but I find that it settles back down if you do too. I have smoked it in a meer, cobs, and briars, and it's exactly the same enjoyable experience every time.
I seriously didn't anticipate that I would enjoy itnas much as I do, or that I'd be reaching for it most days, that is exactly what has happened. Time to walk the dog? Granger. Quick smoke in the garage? Granger. Walking in the woods and paying more attention to where I'm walking and what's around? You get the idea. It's not the greatest thing in the world, and there are definitely tobacco's that I prefer, but if I want a smoke I don't have to pay attention to, well, this is probably going to be it. I'll be picking up a few more cans of this for the future.

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
@StompyMcFat, @WalkinStick,

It is my intention to keep adding to this thread as I go, but smoking only a bowl or two a day it takes a while to move through stuff and really get a feel for it. There are definitely more on the way though as I enjoy attempting to describe what I think of them.
Cheers fellas
:beerchug:
Please do! Great stuff.