To use the adapter or not?

Bro Webb

Hey guys. I have a couple of fairly new Sav pipes with a 6mm filter adapter in them. I don’t use the filter but the adapter makes it a challenge to run a pipe cleaner through them.
Is the adapter necessary? And is so what purpose does it serve ?

thanks for the input.
Bro Webb

Piping Abe

I smoke with an adapter. If you get to a snag while passing a pipe cleaner, just pull the pipe cleaner back a smidge, twist and push. This usually puts it through no issues. This works for most pipes when the pipe cleaner has a hang up. As long as the drilling is centered.

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Hey guys. I have a couple of fairly new Sav pipes with a 6mm filter adapter in them. I don’t use the filter but the adapter makes it a challenge to run a pipe cleaner through them.
Is the adapter necessary? And is so what purpose does it serve ?

thanks for the input.
Bro Webb

The purpose is that sometimes the wide open draw of not having a filter or adapter is not to a smoker's liking. The characteristics of how the pipe smokes can change depending on how you have the pipe set up.

It's totally up to you, however.
I have a few Savs with the adapter and several without. I let the pipe's smoking characteristics dictate things. Some of my Savs just smoke better wide open. Others do not.

neild

Personally, I like smoking a pipe with a filter. However, whatever your preference, it is worth considering the implications on the passage of smoke within the smoke channel if you simply remove this "restriction" and what you may be causing in the way of turbulence.
With a 6mm filter I imagine this will be less significant than if it was a 9mm filter. If I choose to not smoke with a 9mm filter I use the adapter where I have drilled out the 3mm channel to 4mm and thus giving a more balanced flow to my pipes that have had the draught hole and smoke channel diameter in the stummel increased wherever possible to nearer 4.5mm if I can accommodate that sizing.

Top Bottom