Tobacco Quantity Purchasing Preferences

Ernie Q

Sales
So for blends like G&H, do folks have a preference for the way retailers sell it? We're getting a relatively wide variety in and I'm torn between selling it by the box/bag or by both box/bag and in 2 & 8 oz increments. The issue is, breaking down and re-packaging bags is 1) not really FDA Kosher and 2) a downright p.i.t.a. for an small outfit like ours at this time.
Bottom line, if customers want it, we'll do it but in a very organized fashion: If we get, say 5 bag's of "Dark Bird's Eye" we'd break two down into a number of 2 & 8 oz increments and put them directly into online inventory....rather than open, measure and re-package order by order.
Sorry to bother with this sort of stuff, but I really value the opinions of the people who potentially by it!...and the sale of the bulk G&H offerings is largely new territory for us.
E.

Mrm1775

I like being able to buy 8oz or more of a baccy I regularly smoke. Heck, I would buy SG BBF in 5 lb. bricks if I could!!!!!!!
I also find it nice to be able to order smaller amounts for sampling, gifting or occasional smoking.

I understand the extra handling p.i.t.a., though it would seem to me that you might be able service more customers by offering the smaller amounts.

I haven't ordered much lately, but I will start again very soon and I am very excited to see some of the recent offerings you have had.
Just my 2 pennies.

Smoking Pipes, Mars, 4 Noggins, Pipes and Cigars and Boswell all offer less than box quantities. Not sure how much real need there is for another provider to break down boxes. The distributor seems to be shipping now, so availability in smaller quantities should be more widespread in a few weeks. Cutting ropes, twists and plugs is a PITA

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
Smoking Pipes, Mars, 4 Noggins, Pipes and Cigars and Boswell all offer less than box quantities. Not sure how much real need there is for another provider to break down boxes. The distributor seems to be shipping now, so availability in smaller quantities should be more widespread in a few weeks. Cutting ropes, twists and plugs is a PITA
True enough! If someone wants portioned up bits of product, let them shop elsewhere. Why accommodate J. Q. Public with two or eight ounce sales? Customer service is way overrated anyway. No need to jump on that bandwagon....

BradNTx

So for blends like G&H, do folks have a preference for the way retailers sell it? We're getting a relatively wide variety in and I'm torn between selling it by the box/bag or by both box/bag and in 2 & 8 oz increments. The issue is, breaking down and re-packaging bags is 1) not really FDA Kosher and 2) a downright p.i.t.a. for an small outfit like ours at this time.
Bottom line, if customers want it, we'll do it but in a very organized fashion: If we get, say 5 bag's of "Dark Bird's Eye" we'd break two down into a number of 2 & 8 oz increments and put them directly into online inventory....rather than open, measure and re-package order by order.
Sorry to bother with this sort of stuff, but I really value the opinions of the people who potentially by it!...and the sale of the bulk G&H offerings is largely new territory for us.
E.
I liked buying 2 oz tins the first couple of years I started smoking a pipe, but now I prefer 1 pound boxes since I jar it up anyway. It's pretty hard to find one pound boxes these days, but I snap them when I do.

DrumsAndBeer

For blends that I smoke regularly, I prefer 4oz or 8oz options, bulk.

I like to purchase the strong stuff like Dark Flake/Plug, Irish X in 4oz increments, and 8 ounces at a time for blends like Glengarry, Grasmere, Broken No. 7, etc.

I agree that 2oz increments are a perfect option for sampling as there's very little risk with the 5-6 dollar price tag.

I rarely buy G&H tins, they offer so very little of their catalog in this format, so I almost always opt for bulk with G&H.

Ernie Q

Sales
Good point...though the distributor barely had G&H listed before some began to sell out...