What's new

Tobaccos good filtered but not unfiltered

...and vice-versa.

I mainly smoke filtered, 9mm and Grabow 6mm. But my collection of unfiltered pipes is growing. I'm finding that some tobaccos that I enjoyed smoking in filtered pipes, dont seem to work very well unfiltered. Also finding that a few that seemed overly bland filtered, are fine unfiltered.

Off the top of my head, my Latakia blends seem harsh unfiltered, but are quite enjoyable with a filter. OTOH, CM, which has no taste at all in a filtered pipe, is a good smoke unfiltered. CH, which CM is supposed to match, is very good in either.

It may be that the milder tobaccos suffer when smoked with a filter while those with stronger taste or tobaccos can be 'tamed' by a filter.

Has anyone else noticed the difference a filter can make? Are there any tobaccos you've found that are good in one type of pipe but bad in the other?

Tedvig

...and vice-versa.

I mainly smoke filtered, 9mm and Grabow 6mm. But my collection of unfiltered pipes is growing. I'm finding that some tobaccos that I enjoyed smoking in filtered pipes, dont seem to work very well unfiltered. Also finding that a few that seemed overly bland filtered, are fine unfiltered.

Off the top of my head, my Latakia blends seem harsh unfiltered, but are quite enjoyable with a filter. OTOH, CM, which has no taste at all in a filtered pipe, is a good smoke unfiltered. CH, which CM is supposed to match, is very good in either.

It may be that the milder tobaccos suffer when smoked with a filter while those with stronger taste or tobaccos can be 'tamed' by a filter.

Has anyone else noticed the difference a filter can make? Are there any tobaccos you've found that are good in one type of pipe but bad in the other?
This has been my experience as well. Some blends that were better with a filter, I've adapted my technique to enjoy with unfiltered pipes (some not so much). That being said, filters make it pretty easy to enjoy a wider assortment of blends. I say whatever works is good and who would complain about an easy no bite smoke.

leacha

░░░░░
Patron
Latakia blends never get a filter for me, but VaPers and some straight VAs do. HH Acadian Perique was a revelation with a 9mm.
That's funny! I never thought about HH AP tasting better with a filter. @Slow Tri sent me a sample and I thought it was smoother in my Savinelli Dry System than my Peterson.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I've read smokers say filters tame the Mac Barren bite.

Second mouse

Some periques really! irritate my mouth and their blends (looking at you, C&D..) benefit from a filter, the charcoal type. Other periques are mostly fruity (I refuse to say plum or fig) and would absorb the flavor I like (Escudo) so I don't use them. I used to tame high nic blends with filters, but that fell to the side when they were expended and TR became available for guidance. Nowadays I mostly use them for dealing with insufficiently aged leaf (ammonia).

mdromero

I smoke filtered pipes (6mm Dr.Grabow filters) and the tobaccos I smoke taste the same with or without a filter, the only issue I have is the draw is too open without the filter.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Patron
obviously.

The filter is supposed to - well: filter - the smoke. So something is taken out of the smoke that is still in
when not filtered. Some of that plays a role in the taste/ aroma of the tobacco.

I hear/ read that 95% of pipe smokers in europe smoke filter, whereas 90% in the USA smoke unfiltered.
So Tobacco created in/ for a certain market will usually be blended with these figures in mind. One result of
that is some european goopers will behave pretty well when smoked in a 9mm filtered pipe, and will therefore
not work quite as well with the more open draw of an unfiltered pipe. The arome added will also be strong enough
so what passes the filter gives the desired taste. Obviously, those can be absolute overdosed when smoked without
a filter.

Chico

obviously.

The filter is supposed to - well: filter - the smoke. So something is taken out of the smoke that is still in
when not filtered. Some of that plays a role in the taste/ aroma of the tobacco.

I hear/ read that 95% of pipe smokers in europe smoke filter, whereas 90% in the USA smoke unfiltered.
So Tobacco created in/ for a certain market will usually be blended with these figures in mind. One result of
that is some european goopers will behave pretty well when smoked in a 9mm filtered pipe, and will therefore
not work quite as well with the more open draw of an unfiltered pipe. The arome added will also be strong enough
so what passes the filter gives the desired taste. Obviously, those can be absolute overdosed when smoked without
a filter.
I think this explains the infamous Mac Baren bite. With a filter it doesn't happen.

blackmouth210

This is not directed at your post or your reasoning @Sir Saartan.
It's just a general comment about online publications and some reports I've read.

I've always wondered where we get these types of stats from regarding pipe-smokers.
Who's doing these surveys? What's the size of the sampling group? How varied are the pipers in that group in age, income, smoking experience, geography, etc?
Without knowing these things I don't put any faith in them. And too few publications provide these kinds of specifics.

tipofthelake

Fire in big hole, small hole in face--WalkinStick
Patron
I think it's probably gotten from what pipes are available and sales figures. My understanding was that filters are default in Germany at least, but I don't know about the rest of Europe. But yeah, I have seen that thrown out many times in different places, but I have never seen any hint as to where the numbers come from.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Patron
This is not directed at your post or your reasoning @Sir Saartan.
It's just a general comment about online publications and some reports I've read.

I've always wondered where we get these types of stats from regarding pipe-smokers.
Who's doing these surveys? What's the size of the sampling group? How varied are the pipers in that group in age, income, smoking experience, geography, etc?
Without knowing these things I don't put any faith in them. And too few publications provide these kinds of specifics.
I agree in general.

Usually the surveys done by people trying to sell something are somewhat accurate... those done by the government: it's part of my job to
fill out those forms every month. There is no way one could get any kind of accurate result with those.

headrott

...and vice-versa.

My primary question is: What kind of filter are you using in your 9mm pipes? I have basically ALL 9mm filtered pipes. I have used Vauen 9mm carbon filters. White Elephant 9mm meerschaum filters, and Savinelli 9mm balsam filters. I prefer 9mm White elephant Meerchaum filters as they seem to reduce the flavor the least and have the best draw. I think if you use a carbon filter, it will reduce the flavor of the tobacco by a fair amount, in my experience.

That said, what filter(s) are you using?

Chico

My primary question is: What kind of filter are you using in your 9mm pipes? I have basically ALL 9mm filtered pipes. I have used Vauen 9mm carbon filters. White Elephant 9mm meerschaum filters, and Savinelli 9mm balsam filters. I prefer 9mm White elephant Meerchaum filters as they seem to reduce the flavor the least and have the best draw. I think if you use a carbon filter, it will reduce the flavor of the tobacco by a fair amount, in my experience.

That said, what filter(s) are you using?
I use Vauen carbon and Sav balsa. Carbon filters more, because they make "problematic" blends smoke better for me. Still need to try meerschaum filters.

I think 6mm balsa filters work better than 9mm.

Second mouse

∆ that. Carbon for perique allergy and excessive nicotine, balsa for moisture, especially when driving. Unimpressed by meerschaum filters, gradually using them up and won't replenish. The skinny ones that come with cobs get tossed.

headrott

I use Vauen carbon and Sav balsa. Carbon filters more, because they make "problematic" blends smoke better for me. Still need to try meerschaum filters.

I think 6mm balsa filters work better than 9mm.
Ok, good to know about the 6mm balsas.

I definitely recommend the White Elephant Meerschaum filters. IMO, they are better than Carbon filters of any brand.