What's new

Too much tobacco?

JLD 66

Do no harm
Patron
Lately because of the shortage of certain blends that I favor I have been trying many different tobaccos and have found some I like and some not so much. It has been a fun journey but the thing I have noticed is while smoking all these different blends I’ve been neglecting enjoying my favorites. While I like finding different tobaccos I’m wondering if I am robing myself of time with the ones I love. Anyone else having this experience? At 67 I don’t want to lose time with the things I already know I like.

I have been having the same thing go through my mind. I typically smoke one bowl per day, so a tin lasts me a long time and it takes quite a while to do a thorough taste test. At this point, I would rather stick to what I know I like. Luckily I have a pretty good stash of stuff I love and have been trying to trade off the stuff I am not sure about for stuff I am very sure about. Live is too short to smoke bad tobacco!

MakDragon

Former PSF Wizard
Lately because of the shortage of certain blends that I favor I have been trying many different tobaccos and have found some I like and some not so much. It has been a fun journey but the thing I have noticed is while smoking all these different blends I’ve been neglecting enjoying my favorites. While I like finding different tobaccos I’m wondering if I am robing myself of time with the ones I love. Anyone else having this experience? At 67 I don’t want to lose time with the things I already know I like.
I got started way too late, so I am in similar boat. I have an entire cabinet of tobaccos in my cellar, many of which have been there for 5 - 10 years jarred! I find new ones I like and neglect everything else.
I find myself bouncing back and forth between, Fr Dempsey Blend, Classic Burley Cake, McC 5100 and 5110 and my new favorite Boswell's No Bite Delite.

I have decided to rotate those and forget the rest for now. Maybe trade stuff I know I wont smoke.

Same thing happened with pipes when I joined the original PSF. I got serious Pipe Acquisition Disorder along with Tobacco Acquisition Disorder.

You should see the pipes I have that are unsmoked!!!!! And most still in their boxes!

But I have decided to thin that herd as well. Keeping the pipes that make me happy and sell the rest. (Maybe use the money to take a long vacation!)

You are right. The older we get the more we should focus on the stuff that makes us happy and content.

JRobert

Staff member
But I have decided to thin that herd as well. Keeping the pipes that make me happy and sell the rest.
Haven't you been threatening to sell some pipes for quite a while now? Just do it! (-:

In answer to the OP -- smoke the blends you like, and keep the rest in jars. It will keep, and your tastes might change, or you might see someone asking for some of it in a trade for something you like. You could always put stuff up for trade yourself if you're sure you don't like it.

I am in a similar position -- I bought pounds of blends I like to cellar this year; I may also buy a few small samples here and there, but mostly focus on blends I know I like.

WalkinStick

Eventus Stultorum Magister
Sales
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
I’ve stocked away a few blends that I could smoke all day every day if I had to but I keep buying new blends all the time. I like trying new things and I like having a broad range of stuff on hand to send to people who’d like to try it without having to buy a whole tin.

Giving away tobacco is a big part of the fun for me.

Serenity

Patron
I could not imagine stopping trying new blends but understand completely where you're coming from on not getting to the blends we love, I'm right there with you especially when I'm only getting a couple of pipes in daily. I've got a considerable number of unopened tins and decided they're going to stay that way and saved for a rainy day as it were. Even though I like most new blends I've tried recently I have about twenty on hand I like plenty available in Ball Jars just a lid twist away.

lordmoto

Shameless Rubber of Flake
Patron
I think that most of us here have more tobacco open and in rotation than we truly "need" ...
I have to consciously keep my rotation to 20 blends or I will end up with 40 or more blends opened at once.
Since I NEVER smoke the same blend twice in a day the variety really works for me and I don't feel like I am missing out on anything.
Once a jar goes empty it can be a challenge to decide what to open next, but I seem to manage.
Currently I am trying to "settle" on MY VaPer so I probably have too many VaPer's opened at once, but that's life !!!
Smoke more, worry less ... You just never know if that next tin you pop will be "THE ONE" !!!

PipeHaze

I do not have a tenth of some of the tobacco some of you guys have. But none the less know exactly what you mean. I only get one pipe in a day usually so sometimes get on a kick with the same blend or sometimes I am trying something different each time. I have found several ends they now make up what I like to have on hand while I sample other tobacco.

I have not reached that point.
In fact, after almost 20yrs of piping, I've gone in the other direction.
So maybe I never will. But, never say "never" right?

For now, I'm happy sacrificing time with old favorites because the reward is worth it.
I enjoy trying new blends quite a bit. That's one of my favorite aspects of being a pipe-smoker.

By reading your post, however, I could certainly understand you wanting to stick more to the blends you already know you like.
Seems right for you. And doing what's right for you is all that matters.