What's new

Top Five WORST Blends

Olmstead

Yesterday afternoon, I had that great feeling we all know of, when a package containing some fresh blends that you'received eager to try shows up on the doorstep. While I was graced by the pleasure of trying C&D Haunted Bookshop for the first time, I was equally disgusted by what is possibly the worst thing that I've ever put in a pipe; C&D Virgina Flake. After choking down half a bowl, I emptied the remaining abomination into my ashtray and washed out my mouth. I headed back into my room, where the room note (or room stink) had a definitive smell of burnt paper. I realized I had to report this experience to the authorities (you guys)! Then, when I saw @Sinzalot 's thread just now, I thought it'd be fun to share our top five worst blends with eachother.

Thanks to many of you guys sharing your opinions and showing me the ropes early on (special thanks to @WalkinStick ), I surely avoided some nasty ones. All the same, I've still encountered my fair share of super-duds. Here they are:
  1. McClelland No. 55 Georgia Cream
  2. Cornell & Diehl Virginia Flake
  3. Astleys No. 66 Cavendish Club
  4. CAO Moontrance - a most feeble attempt at copying Lane 1Q
  5. War Horse Ready Rubbed - initially I liked it quite a bit, but now just the smell makes me ill. It's that topping)
The last two aren't nearly as bad as the first three, but they're lousy enough to make it to this list. I look forward to reading your own all-time worsts!

JRobert

Nuclear Moderator
Staff member
A note to new pipe smokers (or anyone who has not tried any blend listed in this thread) -- please don't let other people's opinions keep you from trying a blend that sounds interesting to you. Tastes vary widely, and for any blend someone hates, there is at least one person out there who likes it. There is nothing wrong with enjoying a blend someone else hates.

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
Patron
A note to new pipe smokers (or anyone who has not tried any blend listed in this thread) -- please don't let other people's opinions keep you from trying a blend that sounds interesting to you. Tastes vary widely, and for any blend someone hates, there is at least one person out there who likes it. There is nothing wrong with enjoying a blend someone else hates.
YES--one mans trash is another mans treasure. Tobacco like many things is a very subjective thing.

Ozark Wizard

You can send me all your yucky Bob's Chocolate Flake.....

My worst? Probably the blending attempts I made that were so poor they got named and written down in my book so I wouldn't do them again. Fortunately I did, at least for a few, as they turned to be someone else's favorites. Go figure...... So I still occasionally make those, but don't smoke them. One in particular I named Aromatic Nightmare. Terrible stuff. I ship about a pound a quarter to the guy I get my red Ginnies from back East...

Terminus

Drink Water, Walk It Off
Patron
Are you saying you don't like the Padron Anniversary series? That might cause me to drop dead...
Correct, I found it bland and very average. Tried 2 of each from 2 separate humidors, day of purchase on each set, transported in 67% travel humidor. A $7 stick if that.

You can send me all your yucky Bob's Chocolate Flake.....
You got it, PM a name/address and it's yours. Jar and contents with several years of age/crystals.

Chico

C&D Canal boat
Bob's chocolate flake
Molto Dolce
Lakelands (all)
Any fruit/cherry american aro

Bonus - Cigars:
My Father sub-brand
Cubans (real)
Acid
Anything CAO has ever made (pipe and cigar)
Padron 1926/64
This is why these kinds of threads are so funny - you've listed some of my favorite blends and cigars!

My list:
C&D Pegasus
Semois
AJ's VaPer
Epiphany
Oreintal Silk

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Bonus - Cigars:
My Father sub-brand
Cubans (real)
Anything CAO has ever made (pipe and cigar)
Padron 1926/64
It would seem we are polar opposites.
MyFatherLB22's are fantastic, I love Cubans, I've smoked CAO L'Anniversaire Cameroons since the 90's, and Padron 64's are my absolute favorite Nicaraguans. Although I do agree that Acid cigars and Molto Dolce are vile.

Also Bob's is one of my favorite blends and there aren't many Lake District blends I don't like.
This is what @JRobert was talking about.

I find it all rather silly.

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Staff member
Haha the mention of Germain's Plum Cake reminded me... yeah, that is weird stuff. Their Mixture #7 grossed me out too, it was like, honey and also... poop.

The two big fails in my virginia exploration were Fribourg "Golden Mixture" and Astley's 55. Like cigarrette tobacco only worse in all ways.

Haddo's Delight might be the grossest thing I ever tasted in a pipe. I know lots of people love it. They should be sterilized for the good of the species.

JRobert

Nuclear Moderator
Staff member
One other note for new smokers -- your tastes will change. I now have pounds of a blend I didn't like when I first tried it, and I've given or traded away tobacco I loved when I first started smoking. If you don't like a blend, put it in a jar and come back to it in six months or a year.

I did not really like Lakelands at first, but now I like them. And I love Pegasus, Epiphany, and Oriental Silk.

joeahearn

Dan's Holly's Non Plus Ultra is by far the worst tobacco I have ever smoked. It tastes like smoking perfume. This is not a Lakeland thing. I like Lakelands. NPU is hideous beyond comparison.

I agree with Sasquatch about F & T Golden Mixture. It is a very bad Virginia. Unfortunately, I still have three or four tins of it in my cellar. Proof of my raging stupidity.