What's new

Top Five WORST Blends

Calvinandpipe

Patron
I gotta say, Lane 1Q is an interesting situation. Having been in the business for not a few years I can tell you that I am constantly entertained by Tobacco Reviews. I have to say, 1Q is on tobacco reviews in at least 8 places by my last count. 1 as itself, and around 7 (that i know of) as a "custom blend" for another "Blender". It drives me nuts but I gotta keep quiet.

The best part? A guy gives 1Q a bad review and then the same guy goes and gives the "custom blend" 4 stars.

This almost makes me want to give 1Q another chance. But not really.

DrumsAndBeer

Fun to read through these. The worst I ever smoked was Borkum Riff Original. It made my gums and tongue itch! Hahaha.

Aside from that, Peterson Irish Oak makes my list. For whatever reason it always left me feeling a bit ill.

STG versions of Dunhill 965 and Early Morning Pipe were both very disappointing but I wouldn’t rank them as the worst I have tried. I found 965 to be harsh. By far the worst of the two.

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
Patron
Years back over at the old forum we had a hand made blend made up of the following:
3 parts Tambolaka
3 parts pure blending Periwue
1 part pure blending Latakia
Its name was Godless Swine
A blend that for me could be described as having 2-12 gauge shot gun shells going off in your mouth. I was not man enough, and it took about a day to know whether any part of my head above my eyes was still intact. I also recall while smoking it that it took an hour and a half to watch 60 minutes on my television.
It was a pipe smoking experience to forget.:old::roflmao::roflmao:

Olmstead

I wanted to add that since I made my last comment here about SG blends, I acquired some bulk SJF from a kind Irishman here on the forum (thanks Bert!). While I love the SJF we (used to) get here in the states, the cut of the flakes is a bit thick, and the flakes are a pain to rub up. The bulk SJF flakes are very thinly cut, making them much easier to prep for smoking, and it burns more evenly. So SJF bulk gets a 10/10; SJF in the tin gets an 8/10.

I almost forgot I started this thread, and I'm happy to see some of you are still getting some enjoyment out of it. Below are some shout-outs:

• @Russ H. glad you mentioned Tambolaka. I'd never heard of it until just minutes ago. There are a few reviews of folks smoking it plain on T.R. It seems to make whimpering, queasy babies out of even the burly-est of grown men. Godless Swine sounds like a fun time.
  • @Calvinandpipe - Unless you like hot air, there is no need to revisit 1Q. It boggles my mind that it's the #1 best-selling bulk blend on Smokingpipes every time I check their list—and I check it often. Life's too short to smoke such boring junk. McClelland's Top Quality Gold & Toasted is (or was) what 1Q should taste like.
  • @DrumsAndBeer - Borkum Riff Original was the first pipe tobacco I ever tried. I was about 18 years old and I bought a cob and a pouch of it. I don't really remember how it tasted, but something tells me it was terrible. I just thought I looked cool with a pipe (still do, lol).
  • @Spillproof and @Ernie Q - I know the Bostonian "hospitality" all too well. I was a lucky toonie who grew up in the 'burbs of the South Shore though. I pahked the cah around the conna from the mahket so my wife wouldn't see me walkin' inta the bah to have a beeah with my buddy who really needs a baath...okay, I'm taking this too fah. Cheers to my fellow MA pipers.
Finally, I just gotta say that I love the collective sense of humor here. We can all get pretty serious about things pipe-related, so a strong dose of humor is more than welcome in my book.

tipofthelake

Fire in big hole, small hole in face--WalkinStick
Patron
1Q is great for making the air smell mildly of vanilla, and that's about it. Blue note I find to be very nice, but I have to smoke it slowly enough that it requires frequent relights to avoid tongue bite, which I am not often willing to do. Honestly the closest I have come to not liking something was sg navy, which repeatedly did nothing for me (not that it was bad), and I passed that along so that someone else could enjoy it since it is seemingly so sought after.

Arkie

Years back over at the old forum we had a hand made blend made up of the following:
3 parts Tambolaka
3 parts pure blending Periwue
1 part pure blending Latakia
Its name was Godless Swine
A blend that for me could be described as having 2-12 gauge shot gun shells going off in your mouth. I was not man enough, and it took about a day to know whether any part of my head above my eyes was still intact. I also recall while smoking it that it took an hour and a half to watch 60 minutes on my television.
It was a pipe smoking experience to forget.:old::roflmao::roflmao:
Tamabolaka alone makes me want to puke. I can't imagine mixing it with perique and latakia. So... how many pounds of Godless Swine did you smoke?

Hawky454

1. C&D's Captain Bob's Blend GROSS! They mention all kinds of added flavorings to this but it tastes like a cheap candy grape flavoring on an English blend. Captain Bob, you've got some strange tastes my friend.
2. McClelland's Easy Street - 'Twas an aromatic blend that was supposed to be topped with a walnut essence but it tasted like those urinal cakes that you can smell so strongly you can actually taste it in your mouth.
3. Captain Black - I love, love, love the smell of this stuff when someone else is smoking, the aroma is what got me into pipe smoking. I always thought it smelled heavenly, so it must taste heavenly as well, right? nope, not to me, tastes like hot air with a bit of brown sugary sweetness, Where's the tobacco?
4. Borkum Riff - See number 3
5. I don't have anything else at the moment... I don't hate many blends that I come across.