What's new

VaOr Recommendations?

Cheeseybacon

The recent PSD Tobacco of the Year thread has Virginia/Oriental blends (no Latakia) on my mind right now. I have several examples of the entire McClelland Grand Orientals series as well as some Virginia #24 squirreled away, but am hesitant to crack any more McClelland tins at the moment. I've had C&D Oriental Silk in the past, which I thought was excellent right out of the tin but strangely grew to dislike it by the 5th or 6th smoke for some unexplained reason. :mystery:

With that all being said, what are some good VaOr (no Latakia) blends that are currently available? Is it just me or does this blend type not come up as often?

Last edited:

JRobert

Nuclear Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for starting this. I like the VaOr blends I have tried so far, so I am also interested in recommendations.

Orion's Arrow is another C&D blend you might try; I like it a little better than Oriental Silk. Virginia Gentleman is a VaBurOr.

Stokkebye Norwegian and Turkish blends fit into this category -- I like Norwegian but Turkish doesn't really work for me.

Low Country has a VaOr blend, but there are other blends I like better.

Cheeseybacon

Seconding Sam's Flake
According to Tobacco Reviews, Sam's blend has a tonquin bean flavoring in it. The only blend I've had with Tonquin bean was Westmoreland Mixture and I couldn't detect it. The tin was admittedly very old though and the seal had been broken for who knows how long, so maybe most of it evaporated away or something.

How pervasive would you guys describe the Tonquin in Sam's Flake? Does it compete with the flavor of the Orientals?

Ozark Wizard

According to Tobacco Reviews, Sam's blend has a tonquin bean flavoring in it. The only blend I've had with Tonquin bean was Westmoreland Mixture and I couldn't detect it. The tin was admittedly very old though and the seal had been broken for who knows how long, so maybe most of it evaporated away or something.

How pervasive would you guys describe the Tonquin in Sam's Flake? Does it compete with the flavor of the Orientals?
I don't really notice the tonquin much. It might take the earthy butterness of the orientals and add a touch of brightness. I'll have to check for it the next time I smoke some.

Ozark Wizard

Like @JRobert , I really like most of the Virginia Oriental blends I’ve tried. I just picked up a tin of C&D Bijou, and will crack it open soon. I’ll also second Embarcadero.

McClelland was the king of VaOr blends, to me. I miss those worse than their Virginias.
Orientals are getting harder to find. I tried growing some last year and they were quite different from the ones grown around the Med, Baltic and Black Seas. I guess it's tough to mimic those environments and soils in the Midwest.

Chico

So far I haven't smoked anything remotely like McClelland's Va/Ors. Sutliff has a new #2050 Oriental match that I'll try at some point. To me it sounds more promising that the C&D stuff (I've tried a couple and found them nothing like McC). I think McC must have had a unique way of processing their Ors, maybe the same as the VAs, but less vinegar?

McConnell's Or is a great blend, but has enough Lat to be an Oriental-forward English to my tastes. Black & Gold is a Va/Or with Perique - haven't tried it yet, but it should be good even if not McC-like.

Ozark Wizard

So far I haven't smoked anything remotely like McClelland's Va/Ors. Sutliff has a new #2050 Oriental match that I'll try at some point. To me it sounds more promising that the C&D stuff (I've tried a couple and found them nothing like McC). I think McC must have had a unique way of processing their Ors, maybe the same as the VAs, but less vinegar?

McConnell's Or is a great blend, but has enough Lat to be an Oriental-forward English to my tastes. Black & Gold is a Va/Or with Perique - haven't tried it yet, but it should be good even if not McC-like.
McConnell Black and Gold seems pretty sweet to my tastes. Like sugar sweet. I have a tin I've been working on for a couple of years. Guess that says something. Not sure what. It's not offensive in any way.

Adam Bybee

Having smoked some Sam's Flake as a blind review recently, I couldn't identify anything that I would have guessed as Tonquin particularly. It had a wonderful sweet/spicy bakery flavor to it. Would recommend.

Cheeseybacon

Having smoked some Sam's Flake as a blind review recently, I couldn't identify anything that I would have guessed as Tonquin particularly. It had a wonderful sweet/spicy bakery flavor to it. Would recommend.
Ugh. Kinda wish you said the Tonquin is overwhelming and completely ruins an otherwise great quality VaOr. The local B&M has several tins sitting on the shelf, this place never gives the wallet a rest, haha.

gnossos

Russian spambot
Patron

with @Ozark Wizard .... I can't taste it at all.