What's new

VaOr Recommendations?

tipofthelake

Apparently I don't like the taste of tobacco
Patron
C&D Dreams of Kadath, Oriental Silk, Sunday Picnic, Orion's Arrow
Pease Cairo, Embarcadero, Regents Flake, Temple Bar
SG Sam's Flake

Those should get you started. I'm sure there's more, but that's all I could find in my tasting notes. Other than my blends.
Nice, I happen to have a tin of that waiting it's turn. It is getting bumped up in the que now.

Cheeseybacon

I find the Tonquin noticeable when the Sam's Flake tin is newly opened and the tobacco very moist. Let it sit for awhile and the tobacco dry and it is barely perceptible.
I find the tonquin scent very noticeable.
This is good to know. I am going to grab a tin after work today, I'll be sure it give it a good drying. It's Samuel Gawith so it should be dried thoroughly anyway...

DrumsAndBeer

I agree with the Sam's Flake recommendation. With exception of Oriental Silk some of C&D's mixtures have been hit or miss for me, especially the Ira Stone/William Serad Hebraica Series blends, a few of which I found to be somewhat harsh around mid-bowl. I found a similar harshness in GLP Cairo as well.

A few you may want to try, Peretti No. 52 (Burley/VA/Turkish), John Patton Oriental Dusk, Rich's City of Roses (Portland OR) a tad pricey but it's one of Steven Books's recipes, C&D Bijou was pretty enjoyable, & as mentioned, Embarcadero.

I always ejonyed smoking C&D's Guilford Courthouse but I noticed it was discontinued. Looks as though most of the reviewers on TR.com didn't see it in the same light. hahaha..

Chico

The Orcilla Mixture has more than a dusting of latakia Chico .. I mix it about 2:1 with Blending Turkish but the latakia is still there
Ah, thanks. The TR description says none, but I see that many reviews say it's there meaning it must be! Latakia is so distinctive it's not something people can imagine is present when it's not. Then again, people still claim there's none on Presbyterian when there so obviously is....

Rotherdale

Pelargonium Graveolēns Et Sāpo
Patron
Ah, thanks. The TR description says none, but I see that many reviews say it's there meaning it must be! Latakia is so distinctive it's not something people can imagine is present when it's not. Then again, people still claim there's none on Presbyterian when there so obviously is....
Exactly the reason I took a chance on it .. I was disappointed at the latakia content when I popped the tin :(

Rotherdale

Pelargonium Graveolēns Et Sāpo
Patron
I'm a lot less likely to try it now, so thanks for taking one for the team. Is it a good blend otherwise?
Oh yes, it's a good blend overall. I don't mind Latakia now and then - even much more lat-forward blends like Squadron Leader - but I do enjoy a good Va/Or but these are very thin on the ground in the UK

I'm quite keen on GH Exmoor Mixture - which is very light on the latakia - but it has no oriental. Mixing that with a healthy slug of Blending Turkish is a good smoke to my taste