What's new

VaPer Showdown

Slow Tri

Is it Friday yet?
Sales
Wait…..what…..another VaPer review?!?!?! But it’s been almost a year. Yes, it is time.

This review is dedicated to a member here that is near and dear to all of our hearts (even though he is Canadian)…..Sasquatch.

Todd turned me on to this blend when he suggested it be part of the Showdown. I’ve gone through 2 tins of this now and I believe that I am ready to write out a review.

Tudor Castle (2015)

Made by McClelland

Part of their Collector’s series, this tin has the description of:

Ready to smoke and designed to age beautifully, McClelland's Tudor Castle is a beautifully balanced blend of very sugary bright yellow Virginia, a good amount of rare No. 1 Grade Yenidje, red Virginia and a nice touch of St. James Perique.

Well…..it has Virginia in it and it also has Perique so let’s boogie with this blend.

Pre-Light Aroma

So when you first pop the can and stick your nose in there you can already tell that there is A Lot going on with this blend. You can smell the sugary Virginias right off the bat and the kind of BBQ smell that I always associate with the Red Virginias. Dark fruit and spice smell from the Perique but it is way in the background on this one. I have no idea what Yenidje smells like but I don’t smell anything out of order so I guess it is okay. To me, this smells very similar to their Matured Virginia #27 blend (your nose may differ).

Appearance

This comes in Flake form. Most of mine was intact although some of the flakes had broken down a bit probably from shipping and handling. The flakes are dark in appearance with some lighter streaks in them. They are about the same size as the Orlik Golden Flakes that come in the 50oz tin. I rubbed it out and let it dry for a bit. As with their broken flake blends, this can sometimes take a while to dry.

First ½ of the Bowl

As stated above, once you light this blend up you again realize that there are a lot of things going on in this blend. It takes a bit for it to settle down in my opinion but once it does it is very enjoyable. Not too much nicotine so far but that’s not what I’m here for anyway. Couple of relights but no big whoop. The flavors are very tasty although I don’t get much Perique. It comes and goes but never really comes to the forefront.

Second ½ of the Bowl

Very similar to the first half. It has built up to what I would call a medium body both in flavor and strength. Very pleasant and it never seems to get hot. Burned right down to ashes without much hassle.

Summary

Well, I have to say that this was a very pleasant blend. Thank you Todd for recommending it. It was definitely off of my radar and one that I will definitely buy again and cellar to get some age on it. While it is definitely not a Perique bomb……the perique definitely plays a role in this. I’m not sure if it is an all day smoker as I believe that it is a bit heavy for that. But as a treat once a week or from time to time I think that it would definitely work out.

While this blend didn’t 100% Wow me as a VaPer it did impress me. Therefore it squeaks in at #20.

Slow Tri

Is it Friday yet?
Sales
Dunbar
Made by Esoterica Tobacciana

Here’s an old classic that surprisingly I have not smoked as of yet. I want to thank Mikeinmaine for sending over a generous sample for me to try out and include here in the Showdown.

Tin Description:
A mature recipe of seven types of Virginia tobaccos blended with Louisiana Perique, lightly pressed for several days to mellow the mixture, then cut into flakes and rubbed up. A high quality blend with a savory taste and a fine bouquet. An outstanding tobacco with a rich depth of flavor.

For anyone who has smoked any of the Esoterica blends you will know that they are the kings of subtlety. They don’t try to overwhelm any blend with one component or another. It takes a few bowls (or many bowls in some cases) to start to figure out the blend. Dunbar is no exception. I smoked through my sample and I still feel that I do not 100% get it. But I will try and put it into words that make sense.

Pre-Light Aroma
Straight out of the bag you can immediately pick up the woodland scents of the Virginias, grass/hay/mother earth…..it’s all there. I can only detect Bright Va’s in here. I don’t smell anything that may be stoved or dark. The perique in this blend is more of a fruity aroma rather than the usual spicy/peppery aroma that is apparent in most blends.

Appearance
Long pieces of ready rubbed tobacco is what I see. Tans and browns mostly but there are some darker pieces in there which I am assuming is the Perique. Easy to dry, easy to load, easy to pack. Thank goodness!! I’ve been dealing with McClelland’s Ready Rubbed chunks lately so this is a very welcomed departure.

First ½ of Bowl

When I first lit up this blend I was greeted with tons of smoke and a great Va aroma. Slightly sweet but definitely not overly sweet. It took this blend a little bit to settle down and incorporate all of the Va tastes and aromas and then the Perique slowly snuck in and out. Very pleasant, definitely not overpowering in any sense.

Second ½ of Bowl
The flavors in the second half of the bowl seem to be more pronounced. Different Va flavors are mingling with the Perique flavor dancing in and then moving out. It is a very, very pleasant experience. I can only imagine that with more time spent with this blend it will only get better.

Summary
When I first started smoking this I thought that it was a pretty straight forward blend. Va’s and Perique…..easy peasy. After a few bowls of this I realized that there were a lot of subtle things going on in the background. I think that there are several different Va’s that are represented here and it adds a depth to the blend that I was not expecting.

As I stated above, there are several things going on in every Esoterica blend. It’s like a Seinfeld episode actually. I reviewed Dorchester very early on in this Showdown and I’m now thinking that I may have either been too inexperienced to pick out the details in that blend or I may not have given it the proper chance. I will definitely be revisiting that blend.

This is an excellent blend. Esoterica seems to put a ton of thought into their blends and they take their time. That is why they are so rare and hard to find. I understand this and agree with their approach. Create a blend, make it awesome, and never ever compromise on it just to feed the masses. If you are lucky enough to get ahold of this blend (or any of their blends) you will not be sorry.

This blend did not disappoint and I am extremely impressed. Now I just need to find more of it.

This is now taking the #2 spot.

Slow Tri

Is it Friday yet?
Sales
Made by Sutliff

Tin Description
This unique blend is a mixture of bright Virginia, sweet red Virginia, and two cuts of perique.

Well……that is short and to the point I guess. I have discovered that the name 1849 is related to the year that the original Sutliff Tobacco Shop opened. That’s pretty cool. A part of history if you will.

This was blended by Carl McCallister (according to Tobaccoreviews.com).

Pre-Light Aroma
I have to say that I was a bit surprised by the aroma of this blend. I had thought that it would smell just like a typical cheap Virginia with a hint of Perique. Surprise!!! You do have the citrus/grassy smell of the Virginias but there is also quite a bit of peppery/spice goodness in the aroma as well. I believe that @JimInks stated that there is about 25% Perique in here between the two cuts.

Appearance
This comes in a 1.5 oz tin and is a ribbon cut with a few chunks in there.

First ½ of Bowl
When lit this blend gives off a quick whiff of most of its components. Spicy Perique…..yep, Earthy/BBQy Red Virginia……yep, Bright/Grassy/Hay Virginia……yep. It’s all there and it is great!!

To me this is a very mild blend despite the amount of Perique in it. Not sure how they do it but they do.

Burn is great as this did not come overly wet in the tin.

Second ½ of Bowl
Everything pretty much stayed the same as the first part of the bowl. Same three components going in and out, in and out.

Summary

As I stated above……I was pretty surprised by this blend. Not necessarily that it was a good VaPer blend but more to the fact that Sutliff put this out. To me the Sutliff name has always been associated with goopy, super fruity, over-PG’d blends that you could leave out for a year and they would still burn hot. This blend has really opened my eyes as to what they put out.

Some people might find this blend a bit boring because it pretty much stays the same throughout the bowl. I like it that way some of the time. Frankly there are no surprises when you light up this blend. Just good, clean smoking goodness.

Now with all of this said, it is what it is. I would consider this an all-day smoke but it’s not going to topple the #1 spot or anything like that. I wish that they would put this out in Bulk because the tin price is a bit expensive when you break it down. Currently it is around $7.50 for a 1.5oz tin. That would be roughly around $75 for a pound of this which seems a bit expensive if you did want this as a daily smoker. There are a ton of blends that are cheaper than that per pound which are much better.

This is now taking the #22 spot.

1) McConnell Scottish Cake
2) Esoterica Dunbar
3)Samuel Gawith’s St. James Flake
4) GL Pease Tribute
5)Dunhill’s Deluxe Navy Rolls
6) C & D’s Chenet’s Cake
7) Escudo
8) GL Pease Triple Play
9) GL Pease Filmore
10) Former’s Straight Grain Flake
11) H & H AJ’s VaPer
12) Low Country’s Waccamaw
13) Peretti’s Park Square
14) John Patton’s Cool Hand Fluke
15) H & H Rolando’s Own
16) H & H Anniversary Kake
17) G & H Louisiana Flake
18) Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club VR Blend
19) Daughters & Ryan VIP Blend
20) C & D Poplar Camp
21) McClelland Tudor Castle
22) Sutliff 1849
23) Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture
24) C & D Night Train
25) SG Cabbie’s Mixture
26) H & H Louisiana Red
27) C & D Bayou Morning Flake
28) Reiner’s Long Golden Flake
29) Treasures of Ireland - Limerick
30) Dorchester
31) Solani #633
32) Luxury Bullseye Flake
33) McClelland Bulk 2015
34) GL Pease Telegraph Hill
35) Kajun Kake
36) Luxury Navy Flake
37) Dan Tobacco's Tordenskjold Virginia Slices

Slow Tri

Is it Friday yet?
Sales
Beacon Extra (Club Blends)
Made by McClelland

I know that many of you have noted that there is definitely a lack of McClelland VaPer blends in the Showdown. This wasn’t an oversight on my part, it was just that it took me a looooooooong time to figure out their broken flake and how to properly dry it and smoke it. Over the past year or so I have really gotten into their Matured Virginias and have spent the time to finally figure them out. As a result, more McClelland (McC) blends will start trickling their way into the Showdown. It started with Tudor Castle and now it is continuing with this review of Beacon Extra.

This blend was put out by McC for the Greater Kansas City Pipe Club back in 2010 and it has the same base as their Beacon blend but with added perique. More perique is always a good thing in my opinion.

Tin Description
For this blend, McClelland enhanced their Beacon recipe by adding more vintage, barrel-aged Perique. The result is naturally sweet, incredibly smooth, dark as a Louisiana bayou, studded with bright highlights like beacons along the coast.

Pre-Light Aroma
This blend smells like heaven to me. The dark fruity smell of the aged Virginias is definitely at the forefront of this aroma but you can smell the perique straight off as well. Being able to smell the perique in the initial aroma lets me know that this blend has a decent amount of it in here.

Appearance
This comes in a 50g tin and is McC’s typical broken flake.

First ½ of Bowl
After a decent drying time and then rubbing this one out further, this blend is ready to pack and smoke. The initial aroma is still the same as the pre-light one and it smells great. Everything starts to come into play after only a few puffs and it maintains this throughout the first half of the bowl. It took a few lights to get this one going but I have found that this is pretty typical with this broken flake. Once it gets going though it doesn’t seem to stop.

Second ½ of Bowl
More of the same in the second half. I have noticed that the slower that you can puff this one the more flavors seem to appear. Trying to take my time with this one but it is so good that it is easy to get excited and start smoking this one hot.

Summary
If I were to pick one word to describe this blend it would be complex. There seems to be a lot of stuff going on in this blend and I feel that I have only just started scratching the surface with this one.

The Virginias are definitely of great quality and they have been aged so that it really smooths out this blend. The perique is also very velvety and I would have to guess that the blend as a whole is aged together for a bit so that the flavors marry. I am certain that cellaring this will add even more depth to this blend.

It has more strength to it than the regular Beacon blend but to me it also has much, much more flavor due to the added perique but is definitely not overwhelming in any way. It is not going to blow your face off or anything like that but it is definitely a bit more stout.

With all of this said, I am extremely impressed with this blend and it has pretty much taken over the majority of my tobacco rotation. I can’t get enough of it actually. Because of this Beacon Extra is breaking into the Top 5 and almost took over the #1 spot.

This is now taking the #2 spot.

Slow Tri

Is it Friday yet?
Sales
Viprati (Hearth & Home Marquee Series)
Made by Russ at pipesandcigars.com

Well it is finally time for this to be added to the Showdown. A special thanks goes out to @sisyphus for doing a trade with me so that I could try this blend out without buying a whole tin up front. He also sent a few other samples that will be added to the Showdown very soon. Thanks again Sisyphus!!

Now on with the show……

Tin Description
One of Russ Ouellette's favorite pipe makers is Italian impressario, Luigi Viprati. One thing he learned early on is that Luigi loves Virginia/Perique blends, and he asked Russ to try to make something that would remind him of his favorite - Escudo. Russ began by finding three different types of matured Virginias, each with a slightly different flavor profile. To that, Russ added a fair amount of zesty Perique, but it was lacking some body, so he found a fire-cured Burley, with a rich, but subtle flavor that added just enough depth and "kick" to round out the blend. H&H Marquee Viprati has quickly become one of our bestselling Va/Pers and has been rated very highly by our customers and folks at TobaccoReviews.com (100% 4 star ratings). If you're a Va/Per fan, don't pass up Viprati.

Well that is quite the description. To summarize, there is quite a bit in this blend and there is A LOT going on while you smoke it. If I were to guess what 3 matured Virginias that they used I would probably say Red, Orange, and Lemon.

Pre-Light Aroma
I get a top note of citrus from the Virginias along with a sweet barbecue scent from the Red. The fire-cured Burley adds some darkness to the smell and comes in with a leathery, earthy smell in the background. There is definitely a distinct Perique smell in there as well with its sweet and spicy fruitiness, think Black Currants here.

First ½ of the Bowl
One of the things that I like right away about this blend is the cut. It is a shag/ribbon cut with some small flakes mixed in here and there. It is super simple to pack and light. I lit this once and it was well past the middle of the bowl before I had to relight.

Ironically enough, the flavor so far matches pretty much what I wrote in the Pre-Light Aroma section. Sweet and Barbecue Virginia flavor with the Perique and Burley coming in and out throughout the bowl. Someone mentioned in one of the reviews that they tasted chocolate. I didn’t but that might just be me. The Burley and Perique give this blend some punch but nothing that will put a hurting on you. It is one of those rare blends that has a ton of flavor and is very full tasting without going overboard on the strength of the blend. I would rate this one a solid medium in strength.

Rest of the Bowl
About ¾ down in the bowl this one started turning a bit sour to me. Not sure if it is the blend or if I smoked it a bit too fast. This happened a couple of times that I smoked this blend. Nothing unpleasant but just a bit of flavor change towards the sour end of the spectrum. Everything else stayed pretty much the same.

Summary
I can see why a lot of people rave about this blend. It is a solid VaPer. I would dare to say that it is probably the best one that pipesandcigars.com puts out. I love their Anniversary Kake but this one has more depth and flavor in comparison to that one. I also think that this blend has excellent aging potential. I would definitely recommend buying a few of these tins. One to smoke and then a few to put in the cellar for a few years. Definitely a Top 10 VaPer. Therefore, it’s taking over the #7 spot.

1) McConnell Scottish Cake
2) McClelland Beacon Extra
3) Esoterica Dunbar
4) Samuel Gawith’s St. James Flake
5) GL Pease Tribute
6) Dunhill’s Deluxe Navy Rolls
7) H & H Marquee Series Viprati
8)C & D’s Chenet’s Cake
9) Escudo
10) GL Pease Triple Play
11) GL Pease Filmore
12) Former’s Straight Grain Flake
13) H & H AJ’s VaPer
14) Low Country’s Waccamaw
15) Peretti’s Park Square
16) John Patton’s Cool Hand Fluke
17) H & H Rolando’s Own
18) H & H Anniversary Kake
19) G & H Louisiana Flake
20) Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club VR Blend
21) Daughters & Ryan VIP Blend
22) C & D Poplar Camp
23) McClelland Tudor Castle
24) Sutliff 1849
25) Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture
26) C & D Night Train
27) SG Cabbie’s Mixture
28) H & H Louisiana Red
29) C & D Bayou Morning Flake
30) Reiner’s Long Golden Flake
31) Treasures of Ireland - Limerick
32) Dorchester
33) Solani #633
34) Luxury Bullseye Flake
35) McClelland Bulk 2015
36) GL Pease Telegraph Hill
37) Kajun Kake
38) Luxury Navy Flake
39) Dan Tobacco's Tordenskjold Virginia Slices

Slow Tri

Is it Friday yet?
Sales
I have several McClelland blends that I have yet to review but already have a basic stance on each of them. I resisted McC's blends for so long in this thread because I never could figure out how to dry them out properly. That came with time and I figured it out within the last year or two.

Because things are what they are and because there are several people on here that are probably willing to trade that have these blends, I thought that I would list the McClelland VaPers that I have and have smoked in order of preference.

If you have found that you have similar tastes as I do then you should probably match up with these fairly well. If not, then definitely let me know.

So......in order of my preference (please feel free to argue and disagree):
  1. Beacon Extra
  2. Top Hat (didn't see that one coming did you)
  3. Black Parrot
  4. Beacon
  5. Blakeney's Best Bayou Slice (thank you @leacha )
  6. Royal Cajun Dark (thank you @leacha )
  7. St James Woods

Some of you may argue with the St James Woods ranking but I found it to be really good, but also really boring. Not a lot going on in there.

If you agree with these then great!! If not, still really cool but definitely let me know first if you want to trade out.....

All "formal" reviews will follow in due time.

JimInks

Old Ted Award Winner
Made by Sutliff

Tin Description
This unique blend is a mixture of bright Virginia, sweet red Virginia, and two cuts of perique.

Well……that is short and to the point I guess. I have discovered that the name 1849 is related to the year that the original Sutliff Tobacco Shop opened. That’s pretty cool. A part of history if you will.

This was blended by Carl McCallister (according to Tobaccoreviews.com).

Pre-Light Aroma
I have to say that I was a bit surprised by the aroma of this blend. I had thought that it would smell just like a typical cheap Virginia with a hint of Perique. Surprise!!! You do have the citrus/grassy smell of the Virginias but there is also quite a bit of peppery/spice goodness in the aroma as well. I believe that @JimInks stated that there is about 25% Perique in here between the two cuts.

Appearance
This comes in a 1.5 oz tin and is a ribbon cut with a few chunks in there.

First ½ of Bowl
When lit this blend gives off a quick whiff of most of its components. Spicy Perique…..yep, Earthy/BBQy Red Virginia……yep, Bright/Grassy/Hay Virginia……yep. It’s all there and it is great!!

To me this is a very mild blend despite the amount of Perique in it. Not sure how they do it but they do.

Burn is great as this did not come overly wet in the tin.

Second ½ of Bowl
Everything pretty much stayed the same as the first part of the bowl. Same three components going in and out, in and out.

Summary
As I stated above……I was pretty surprised by this blend. Not necessarily that it was a good VaPer blend but more to the fact that Sutliff put this out. To me the Sutliff name has always been associated with goopy, super fruity, over-PG’d blends that you could leave out for a year and they would still burn hot. This blend has really opened my eyes as to what they put out.

Some people might find this blend a bit boring because it pretty much stays the same throughout the bowl. I like it that way some of the time. Frankly there are no surprises when you light up this blend. Just good, clean smoking goodness.

Now with all of this said, it is what it is. I would consider this an all-day smoke but it’s not going to topple the #1 spot or anything like that. I wish that they would put this out in Bulk because the tin price is a bit expensive when you break it down. Currently it is around $7.50 for a 1.5oz tin. That would be roughly around $75 for a pound of this which seems a bit expensive if you did want this as a daily smoker. There are a ton of blends that are cheaper than that per pound which are much better.

This is now taking the #22 spot.
This blend was partly my idea, but Carl McAllister did the work. I suggested it was time for Sutliff to make a stand alone VaPer. I made a couple suggestions, which were followed, but again, Carl did all the work.

leacha

░░░░░
Patron
This blend was partly my idea, but Carl McAllister did the work. I suggested it was time for Sutliff to make a stand alone VaPer. I made a couple suggestions, which were followed, but again, Carl did all the work.
I humbly thank you for doing that. When I had my first tin of 1849 I felt the topping was a little too sweet for my taste. After the tin was open for 10 days or so the topping diminished as the tobacco dried out. I'm on my second tin and I appreciate the changes in flavors as you progress through the tin and the bowl. I like that the Perique comes and goes but yet is always a constant.

Thank you Jim! And a Thank you to Carl, wherever he is in retirement, for all of his work.

JimInks

Old Ted Award Winner
I humbly thank you for doing that. When I had my first tin of 1849 I felt the topping was a little too sweet for my taste. After the tin was open for 10 days or so the topping diminished as the tobacco dried out. I'm on my second tin and I appreciate the changes in flavors as you progress through the tin and the bowl. I like that the Perique comes and goes but yet is always a constant.

Thank you Jim! And a Thank you to Carl, wherever he is in retirement, for all of his work.
I thank you for the kind words, and I know Carl appreciates it, too.

Slow Tri

Is it Friday yet?
Sales
Salty Dogs
By Dan Tobacco

First off, I want to thank @leacha for sending me several pouches of this so that I could include it in the Showdown. I bought a pouch of this when it first came out and smoked through the whole thing so quickly I forgot to take notes on it. This is another one that is hard to find currently, however, you can order it directly from Dan Tobacco here:

https://www.danpipe.de/pfeifentabake/eigenmarken/salty-dogs

Also, this is my 40th review of the Showdown. Can you believe it?!?!

Tin Description

Dan Tobacco's Salty Dogs is, as its name implies, a classic Navy-style plug: Virginias and a pinch of Perique, flavored with rum, and pressed tight into hard, pocket-sized blocks that would keep long, survive indelicate handling, and could be cut into slices whenever there was a moment's rest.

Presentation and Preparation
Okay, this review wouldn’t be complete in my opinion without talking about how this blend arrives in the pouch and how I prepared it for this review. The blend arrives as a plug. A rectangular, hard, dark plug that smells wonderful.

I like most of my blends rubbed out so I cut this into thin flakes with a very sharp knife and then just rubbed out the flakes from there. You could very easily cub cut this as well if you prefer that.

Pre-Light Aroma
As stated above, this blend smells great fresh out of the pouch. The tin description states that this is flavored with rum but I do not smell any rum. The aroma is not as “dark” smelling as I anticipated based on the color of the blend, although it is not “bright” smelling either. It is somewhere in the middle. All the normal players are here for a VaPer blend. Fruit, dark cherry/currants, and a mild spiciness from the perique in the background.

First ½ of the Bowl
Many people have rated this as a pretty strong blend but I did not find it that way. It may be the way that I rubbed the blend out. If you keep it more together, as in cube cut, it might be a tad stronger. I smoked it in smaller bowls but nothing too crazy. I still do not smell or taste the rum and I figure that it is probably a very minor player here. Maybe a splash here and there but certainly not overpowering by any means as I have experienced in other Navy blends.

One other note, it took me quite a few relights to really get this blend going. I believe that it is because it is a little more chunky than normal and those chunks might also hold a little more moisture.

The taste is very consistent to me. Probably because this is pressed for so long it really gives the flavors time to marry. This blend didn’t really have flavors coming and going throughout the blend. The taste stayed the same pretty much through the whole bowl.

Rest of the Bowl
The rest of the smoke was pretty much more of the same and I don’t mean that in a bad way. Consistent is the name of the game with this blend.

Summary
This is one of Dan Tobacco’s more expensive blends. Is it worth it? I believe so. I cannot afford to have it as an everyday smoke but it is definitely worth grabbing a pouch or two and saving it for special moments. This one takes over the #12 spot.

1 McConnell Scottish Cake
2 McClelland Beacon Extra
3 Esoterica Dunbar
4 Samuel Gawith’s St. James Flake
5 GL Pease Tribute
6 Dunhill’s Deluxe Navy Rolls
7 H & H Marquee Series Viprati
8 C & D’s Chenet’s Cake
9 Escudo
10 GL Pease Triple Play
11 GL Pease Filmore
12 Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs
13 Former’s Straight Grain Flake
14 H & H AJ’s VaPer
15 Low Country’s Waccamaw
16 Peretti’s Park Square
17 John Patton’s Cool Hand Fluke
18 H & H Rolando’s Own
19 H & H Anniversary Kake
20 G & H Louisiana Flake
21 Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club VR Blend
22 Daughters & Ryan VIP Blend
23 C & D Poplar Camp
24 McClelland Tudor Castle
25 Sutliff 1849
26 Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture
27 C & D Night Train
28 SG Cabbie’s Mixture
29 H & H Louisiana Red
30 C & D Bayou Morning Flake
31 Reiner’s Long Golden Flake
32 Treasures of Ireland - Limerick
33 Dorchester
34 Solani #633
35 Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake
36 McClelland Bulk 2015
37 GL Pease Telegraph Hill
38 C & D Kajun Kake
39 Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake
40 Dan Tobacco Tordenskjold Virginia Slices

This is truly an epic thread. Thank you for the time you've taken to compile t, and keep it going.

Do you find that particular vintages of a tobacco blend seem to perform better or worse - due to either tobacco quality or the blenders hand? Or have most been consistent from batch to batch / year to year?

Slow Tri

Is it Friday yet?
Sales
This is truly an epic thread. Thank you for the time you've taken to compile t, and keep it going.

Do you find that particular vintages of a tobacco blend seem to perform better or worse - due to either tobacco quality or the blenders hand? Or have most been consistent from batch to batch / year to year?
Man… That would be a whole thread in and of itself. In a nutshell, I have found that you can’t go wrong with Samuel Gawith and Gawoth & Hogarth blends.

leacha

░░░░░
Patron
C & D Bayou Morning Flake

I cannot believe that I missed this one in my Showdown. I have had an unopened, bulging tin of this for quite some time. I had not opened this one partly because I was afraid that because of the bulging then I was probably going to shoot my hand off when I opened it or something like that. So with my trusty dishtowel I grabbed the tin and popped the seal. There was a loud boom but not nearly the force to which I had expected.

Now with bulging tins you can expect two things. One - some great fermented tobacco, or two - a rank tobacco that is infiltrated with either bacteria or fungus. Fortunately for me it was some great fermented tobacco. The smell that came out of the tin was a bit earthy and peaty (is that even a word?). The tobacco was already starting to show my sugar crystals.

When this blend is rubbed out it comes to be really long ribbons of tobacco. I had been forewarned that this blend usually comes extremely damp so I spread the tobacco out on some newspaper and proceeded to let it dry for about 2 hours. Even then it was still a bit damp. But it packed really nicely and lit up great.

It is hard to describe this blend but I have to say that it was very, very earthy. It was almost like smoking dirt…..but in a good way. I believe that this dark flavor comes from the stoving of this blend. It has the dark fragrance and taste of Kajun Kake but it has a lot more sweetness to it that Kajun. Despite this blend still being a bit damp it burned very well and required only a few relights.

About halfway through the bowl a bit of spicy sourness came up through this blend. It was a nice mix of sweet and sour. This blend is pretty heavy and probably will not be good on an empty stomach.

This is a great overall blend. There is plenty of perique in this blend to go around. This blend is unique in that it is a VaPer but it is also stoved which you do not find frequently in the VaPer realm. I like it for a “change of pace” tobacco but it will not be in my regular rotation. This one goes in slot #15.

1)McConnell Scottish Cake
2)Samuel Gawith’s St. James Flake
3)Escudo
4)GL Pease Filmore
5)H & H AJ’s VaPer
6)Low Country’s Waccamaw
7)Peretti’s Park Square
8)John Patton’s Cool Hand Fluke
9)H & H Rolando’s Own
10)H & H Anniversary Kake
11)G & H Louisiana Flake
12)Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture
13)C & D Night Train
14)H & H Louisiana Red
15)C & D Bayou Morning Flack
16)Reiner’s Long Golden Flake
17)Treasures of Ireland - Limerick
18)Dorchester
19)Solani #633
20)Luxury Bullseye Flake
21)McClelland Bulk 2015
22)GL Pease Telegraph Hill
23)Kajun Kake
24)Luxury Navy Flake
25)Dan Tobacco's Tordenskjold Virginia Slices
I wasn't quite "taken" with this when I first tried it but it has grown on me. I'm not getting the strength of the blend everyone describes which might add to my increased enjoyment. I usually smoke it in the AM on an empty stomach so YMMV.

While smoking my first bowl I thought it became a little cigarettish at the end, but I feel that way with most C&D blends, and that still holds true. Your right about the wetness. 2½ months in the open tin and its still moist. My gut feeling is the moisture will be dependent on how soon this blend is processed after they open the perique barrel. I feel this could be a wold class flake if a touch of unflavored cavendish or Latakia was added.

While this blend will not be my everyday blend (close) I'm happy that I found a blend to smoke in between my McClelland stash.

JRCA97

I wasn't quite "taken" with this when I first tried it but it has grown on me. I'm not getting the strength of the blend everyone describes which might add to my increased enjoyment. I usually smoke it in the AM on an empty stomach so YMMV.

While smoking my first bowl I thought it became a little cigarettish at the end, but I feel that way with most C&D blends, and that still holds true. Your right about the wetness. 2½ months in the open tin and its still moist. My gut feeling is the moisture will be dependent on how soon this blend is processed after they open the perique barrel. I feel this could be a wold class flake if a touch of unflavored cavendish or Latakia was added.

While this blend will not be my everyday blend (close) I'm happy that I found a blend to smoke in between my McClelland stash.
I totally agree with you. I definitely do like this blend very much, but if an unflavored Cavendish was added , it would take it over the edge. I usually try to smoke this blend at least once a day.