What's new

VaPer Showdown

Just tried my first bowl of Scottish cake. I do like it however I prefer a sweeter vaper. My top favorites have been Scottish flake, and watch city’s old domminon. Also watch city 558 if it is counted since it has Kentucky in it. I have also found that for find any vaper vastly better in a briar pipe then any other kind of pipe. Many on this list I want to try and working my way down it.

Slow Tri

Is it Friday yet?
Sales
Just received the Old Dominion today and will be having my first bowl shortly. Let's get this party started!! Thanks for the history that you provided to me @Ernie Q
2 bowls of this so far. 3rd will be after dinner. I really like OD, but I also like 558 just as much but for different reasons.

Does that make me weird?

On second though, don't answer that.

Slow Tri

Is it Friday yet?
Sales
Alright……let’s get this Watch City Cigar Tobacco Party Started!!!!!

The next two reviews that you’ll see are for the Watch City Cigar VaPer Blends, Flake #558 and Old Dominion.

I’m going to cover Flake #558 in this review but will post up the Old Dominion one shortly. I’ve had more time with 558 so I feel a bit more comfortable at this point writing about it. I received this flake originally from @WalkinStick as part of a trade and I have to say, I was a bit excited about getting it. I had read several posts here on the forum about this blend but hadn’t quite pulled the trigger to order some.

Website Description
Flake #558 (The measured distance in miles between Watch City Cigar and Richmond, VA, plus a couple extra miles for good measure!) This is another of our "Crumble Flakes". (A mixture of cut leaf with some whole leaf added, pressed and sliced thick). Similar to our "Old Dominion" this rich, dark flake substitutes a rich stoved Virginia for the Matured Virginia. A wonderfully complex flake with a naturally sweet aftertaste is the result. Just a bit less Perique than Old Dominion.

Appearance
I asked @Ernie Q about this flake and the OD one before I wrote these reviews and he provided me with a lot of good information. Mainly……these are made by Sutliff and they are doing an extremely great job with them. I agree with his statement. These flakes are massive…….I like big flakes and I cannot lie. Anyone familiar with the Sutliff Crumble Kakes will know what these flakes are like. However, they rub apart easily and I highly recommend anyone planning to smoke these to do that. To me it aids in drying them out just a bit and helps with the burn.

Also, this blend is darker in appearance than OD. Most likely from the Matured VAs.

Pre-Light Aroma
To me, the tin aroma runs somewhere between a Rattray’s Marlin Flake and a McClelland’s St. James Flake. It has a sweet smell to it but more of a dark sweetness to it. Again, most likely from the Matured Virginias in the blend. There is definitely some spice from the Perique in there, but it is in the background to the Virginia sweetness.

First ½ of the Bowl
Wow…..this is good stuff! Everything is very balanced and there aren’t any flavors being shoved in your face. Very pleasant to smoke. As with the aroma, the taste is sweet but in a dark way. More molasses than honey in my opinion. The perique is definitely there to add some spice/tanginess and to cool things down a bit.

Rest of the Bowl
More of the same as above. This blend is very consistent from start to finish. Take your time with this one and it will reward you.

Summary
In short, this is an excellent blend. All of the players are properly represented and they all play nicely together. This is not an overly Virginia VaPer or an overly Perique VaPer…..everything is balanced properly. If you are new to VaPer blends then this would be an excellent place to start. I, myself, will be ordering a few pounds of this just to see how it ages. I think that it will only get better with time. I think that this one will be comfortable in the #7 slot. Great job Ernie!!

1) McConnell Scottish Cake
2) McClelland Beacon Extra
3) Esoterica Dunbar
4) Samuel Gawith’s St. James Flake
5) GL Pease Tribute
6) Dunhill’s Deluxe Navy Rolls
7) Watch City Cigar’s Flake #558
8) H & H Marquee Series Viprati
9)C & D’s Chenet’s Cake
10) Escudo
11) GL Pease Triple Play
12) GL Pease Filmore
13) Former’s Straight Grain Flake
14) H & H AJ’s VaPer
15) Low Country’s Waccamaw
16) Peretti’s Park Square
17) John Patton’s Cool Hand Fluke
18) H & H Rolando’s Own
19) H & H Anniversary Kake
20) G & H Louisiana Flake
21) Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club VR Blend
22) Daughters & Ryan VIP Blend
23) C & D Poplar Camp
24) McClelland Tudor Castle
25) Sutliff 1849
26) Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture
27) C & D Night Train
28) SG Cabbie’s Mixture
29) H & H Louisiana Red
30) C & D Bayou Morning Flake
31) Reiner’s Long Golden Flake
32) Treasures of Ireland - Limerick
33) Dorchester
34) Solani #633
35) Luxury Bullseye Flake
36) McClelland Bulk 2015
37) GL Pease Telegraph Hill
38) Kajun Kake
39) Luxury Navy Flake
40) Dan Tobacco's Tordenskjold Virginia Slices

Ernie Q

Sales
Alright……let’s get this Watch City Cigar Tobacco Party Started!!!!!

The next two reviews that you’ll see are for the Watch City Cigar VaPer Blends, Flake #558 and Old Dominion.

I’m going to cover Flake #558 in this review but will post up the Old Dominion one shortly. I’ve had more time with 558 so I feel a bit more comfortable at this point writing about it. I received this flake originally from @WalkinStick as part of a trade and I have to say, I was a bit excited about getting it. I had read several posts here on the forum about this blend but hadn’t quite pulled the trigger to order some.

Website Description
Flake #558 (The measured distance in miles between Watch City Cigar and Richmond, VA, plus a couple extra miles for good measure!) This is another of our "Crumble Flakes". (A mixture of cut leaf with some whole leaf added, pressed and sliced thick). Similar to our "Old Dominion" this rich, dark flake substitutes a rich stoved Virginia for the Matured Virginia. A wonderfully complex flake with a naturally sweet aftertaste is the result. Just a bit less Perique than Old Dominion.

Appearance
I asked @Ernie Q about this flake and the OD one before I wrote these reviews and he provided me with a lot of good information. Mainly……these are made by Sutliff and they are doing an extremely great job with them. I agree with his statement. These flakes are massive…….I like big flakes and I cannot lie. Anyone familiar with the Sutliff Crumble Kakes will know what these flakes are like. However, they rub apart easily and I highly recommend anyone planning to smoke these to do that. To me it aids in drying them out just a bit and helps with the burn.

Also, this blend is darker in appearance than OD. Most likely from the Matured VAs.

Pre-Light Aroma
To me, the tin aroma runs somewhere between a Rattray’s Marlin Flake and a McClelland’s St. James Flake. It has a sweet smell to it but more of a dark sweetness to it. Again, most likely from the Matured Virginias in the blend. There is definitely some spice from the Perique in there, but it is in the background to the Virginia sweetness.

First ½ of the Bowl
Wow…..this is good stuff! Everything is very balanced and there aren’t any flavors being shoved in your face. Very pleasant to smoke. As with the aroma, the taste is sweet but in a dark way. More molasses than honey in my opinion. The perique is definitely there to add some spice/tanginess and to cool things down a bit.

Rest of the Bowl
More of the same as above. This blend is very consistent from start to finish. Take your time with this one and it will reward you.

Summary
In short, this is an excellent blend. All of the players are properly represented and they all play nicely together. This is not an overly Virginia VaPer or an overly Perique VaPer…..everything is balanced properly. If you are new to VaPer blends then this would be an excellent place to start. I, myself, will be ordering a few pounds of this just to see how it ages. I think that it will only get better with time. I think that this one will be comfortable in the #7 slot. Great job Ernie!!

1) McConnell Scottish Cake
2) McClelland Beacon Extra
3) Esoterica Dunbar
4) Samuel Gawith’s St. James Flake
5) GL Pease Tribute
6) Dunhill’s Deluxe Navy Rolls
7) Watch City Cigar’s Flake #558
8) H & H Marquee Series Viprati
9)C & D’s Chenet’s Cake
10) Escudo
11) GL Pease Triple Play
12) GL Pease Filmore
13) Former’s Straight Grain Flake
14) H & H AJ’s VaPer
15) Low Country’s Waccamaw
16) Peretti’s Park Square
17) John Patton’s Cool Hand Fluke
18) H & H Rolando’s Own
19) H & H Anniversary Kake
20) G & H Louisiana Flake
21) Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club VR Blend
22) Daughters & Ryan VIP Blend
23) C & D Poplar Camp
24) McClelland Tudor Castle
25) Sutliff 1849
26) Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture
27) C & D Night Train
28) SG Cabbie’s Mixture
29) H & H Louisiana Red
30) C & D Bayou Morning Flake
31) Reiner’s Long Golden Flake
32) Treasures of Ireland - Limerick
33) Dorchester
34) Solani #633
35) Luxury Bullseye Flake
36) McClelland Bulk 2015
37) GL Pease Telegraph Hill
38) Kajun Kake
39) Luxury Navy Flake
40) Dan Tobacco's Tordenskjold Virginia Slices
Wow! Appreciate the reviews as always! I will say that 558 should definitely be a candidate for aging and properly put up in mason jars will turn nearly black in time.