What's new

Warning EBay Global Shipping

BubbaBriar

Received email that I'm to receive an immediate full refund of my purchase on eBay. The item is restricted and will not be shipped to me or returned to seller. The item was an antique Bulwark Cut Plug tin never opened. I've bought vintage tobacco off eBay no problems several times before, but the seller always shipped USPS or private shipping companies never via eBays Global Shipping service. Ridiculous considering this old tin is a novelty item it's so old it's beyond vintage, it's antique. I feel bad for the seller. He receives no compensation or even item back.

BubbaBriar

They are keeping it like contraband?
According to the email sent to me as the buyer so stated them via email that the item is to neither be shipped further to me the buyer nor returned to the seller. The item is restricted. I'm not privy to the communications between seller and eBay. I only know what they emailed to me as the buyer. I did receive full refund and apology from eBay.

sablebrush52

Patron
Received email that I'm to receive an immediate full refund of my purchase on eBay. The item is restricted and will not be shipped to me or returned to seller. The item was an antique Bulwark Cut Plug tin never opened. I've bought vintage tobacco off eBay no problems several times before, but the seller always shipped USPS or private shipping companies never via eBays Global Shipping service. Ridiculous considering this old tin is a novelty item it's so old it's beyond vintage, it's antique. I feel bad for the seller. He receives no compensation or even item back.
eBay has a thing about selling tins of tobacco, period. It's forbidden per eBay's rules. Just another of their laughable policies. It's been that way for several years. Technically any eBay sale of a tin of tobacco is illegal, but as they're only interested in money, they've mostly ignored their own rules, only occasionally and fitfully enforcing them. On those occasions when they do enforce them, the seller gets the shaft since they're violated eBay's fake rules. The seller gets his payment clawed back and his contraband merchandise confiscated. If the seller complains his account is closed. Sellers of tobacco on eBay should be aware that there is always the risk that their earnings will be confiscated, along with their goods.

tipofthelake

Have you ever seen the rain?
Patron
eBay has a thing about selling tins of tobacco, period. It's forbidden per eBay's rules. Just another of their laughable policies. It's been that way for several years. Technically any eBay sale of a tin of tobacco is illegal, but as they're only interested in money, they've mostly ignored their own rules, only occasionally and fitfully enforcing them. On those occasions when they do enforce them, the seller gets the shaft since they're violated eBay's fake rules. The seller gets his payment clawed back and his contraband merchandise confiscated. If the seller complains his account is closed. Sellers of tobacco on eBay should be aware that there is always the risk that their earnings will be confiscated, along with their goods.
This was my understanding as well. They've technically never allowed the sale of actual tobacco, regardless of its collectable status or smokability. When you skirt the stated rules you sometimes lose.

BubbaBriar

I talked to the seller. Since I've received my money back I really don't have a dog in the fight but wanted him to know no hard feelings on my part. His response was, 98% of the time no problems but when you get hit you get hit and the real shame is it was a cool little item and it is to be destroyed without questions.

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
Patron
This sums things up nicely. It seems that the rules are applied when ever they decide for what ever reason they will apply the rules--any day, any time--kinda what ever, and when ever they decide to they want to enforce the rule(s).
It stands to reason that if one decides to sell certain items that there is always a chance things like this will happen. It is also VERY worthy of noting that under current law that the sale if tobacco, and such on auction sites is not within the law.
I would be VERY careful about selling, or purchasing of such items. You may get burned. It's just another sad reality of the way things are these days.

BubbaBriar

Just curious, but was the item caught and deemed restricted due to Customs/Imports regs? Might it have happened with any other shipping company?
Regardless of the details, I’m sorry ya’ll lost a little piece of treasure.
Nope nothing with that. It was at an EBay shipping center. It wouldn't matter if it was going state to state or EU to America or within EU as it was. England to Sweden. EBay rules are no tobacco items are to be handled. Period. They just only "care" very rarely. My opinion it was because the seller uses eBay's shipping scheme. Which means the rubric description of the item is transferred on to the shipping label. Sealed or unopened tobacco catches attention. My hunch is if it was labeled something like "antique tin" "vintage tobacco tin" or along those lines it would've been ok.

sablebrush52

Patron
There policy leaves much to be desired. They did get their $$$$$.
Would you offer the same argument if the seller whose product and profit was confiscated was a heroin dealer? Because, from a legal standpoint, they're the same thing.
eBay's policies are not ambiguous on selling tins of tobacco. You can't even hide behind the dodge that it's about the packaging and the tin itself, not the contents, as they also require that the post include a picture of the interior of the tin, proving that the tin is empty.
I suspect that the reason eBay decided to pretend they care is that someone filed a complaint with an outside agency and ebay got its hand slapped.

BubbaBriar

Would you offer the same argument if the seller whose product and profit was confiscated was a heroin dealer? Because, from a legal standpoint, they're the same thing.
eBay's policies are not ambiguous on selling tins of tobacco. You can't even hide behind the dodge that it's about the packaging and the tin itself, not the contents, as they also require that the post include a picture of the interior of the tin, proving that the tin is empty.
I suspect that the reason eBay decided to pretend they care is that someone filed a complaint with an outside agency and ebay got its hand slapped.
Just now searched sealed tobacco on eBay. Over 250 items for sale. All in tobacciana category. Proof enough that they themselves aren't really policing their own policy.

Peeps

Nope nothing with that. It was at an EBay shipping center. It wouldn't matter if it was going state to state or EU to America or within EU as it was. England to Sweden. EBay rules are no tobacco items are to be handled. Period. They just only "care" very rarely. My opinion it was because the seller uses eBay's shipping scheme. Which means the rubric description of the item is transferred on to the shipping label. Sealed or unopened tobacco catches attention. My hunch is if it was labeled something like "antique tin" "vintage tobacco tin" or along those lines it would've been ok.
Yep. I looked into “EBay Global Shipping”, and the seller has basically made eBay the shipper, and once in their facility they can make a determination of an item being restricted.
At that point they have the opportunity to confiscate & destroy the said restricted item.
Again, I’m saddened that you went through that.

Olmstead

Rant Alert:
eBay's rules are just ridiculous, period. I'm of the opinion that if tobacco sales are of a personal nature, then they should be allowed, plain and simple. So long as you're not making thousands of dollars selling tobacco, there's no good reason for the government or anyome to interfere with your sales. I get the whole selling to minors issue that would create, but really, there are bigger fish to fry in the world of bad stuff being sold to kids.
Just another of their laughable policies. It's been that way for several years. Technically any eBay sale of a tin of tobacco is illegal, but as they're only interested in money, they've mostly ignored their own rules, only occasionally and fitfully enforcing them.
That's why I've stayed away from there. I was an eBayer by profession for over ten years. From 2004 to 2011, I used it to help my father build his motorcycle and apparel business almost exclusively through eBay. Unfortunately, over time they just kept pouring on the B.S. in the form of drastic fee increases and rule changes - to the point where it became miserable doing business on there.
eBay is a terrible company. Thankfully dad and I were able to make enough of a customer base and break off from them completely. Anyways, I'd keep well away of them concerning anything that's even remotely questionable.

Olmstead

Just now searched sealed tobacco on eBay. Over 250 items for sale. All in tobacciana category. Proof enough that they themselves aren't really policing their own policy.
It's complete nonsense. They should do a similar thing they did with wine and champagne, and just I.D. the buyer. They stand to make thousands if they'd just get with the program.

Sorry I'm
:deadhorse: