What's new

Watch City DCC

Billy Joe

With the scarcity of many prominent tinned blends on many internet sites, I decided I would explore stateside blenders which have readily available and varied bulk blends. Just received my first order from a Watch City Cigars. Picked up Deluxe Crumb Cut and Aromatic #7.

I started with the Crumb Cut; immediately out of the bag, it reminded me a little of Sugar Barrel in cut and even bag note (albeit less sweet). Also, I detect a very minor flavor that reminded me of a faint touch of Latakia (I don’t think it has any) which could be the coumarin? I dried it well before lighting. It was smooth and creamy, burned well, and had a subtle codger taste. I set it down for 5 minutes and needed to relight. It was then that the bowl began to shine. The 2 nd half was even smoother with a nutty, faint cocoa taste that it finished with. Not sweet, mid nic, it was easy to enjoy and just intricate enough in taste to keep me interested. This was a repeatable smoke that is easy to get used to.

If you are looking for a clean burley smoke, or transitioning from aromatics, this is the blend for you. Not overly complex, it nonetheless is a new favorite for me. When I looked for reviews online, I was surprised how few there were for Deluxe Crumb Cut. This blend deserves more attention than it seems to be getting. Recommended.

MakDragon

Former PSF Wizard
Sales
Patron
With the scarcity of many prominent tinned blends on many internet sites, I decided I would explore stateside blenders which have readily available and varied bulk blends. Just received my first order from a Watch City Cigars. Picked up Deluxe Crumb Cut and Aromatic #7.

I started with the Crumb Cut; immediately out of the bag, it reminded me a little of Sugar Barrel in cut and even bag note (albeit less sweet). Also, I detect a very minor flavor that reminded me of a faint touch of Latakia (I don’t think it has any) which could be the coumarin? I dried it well before lighting. It was smooth and creamy, burned well, and had a subtle codger taste. I set it down for 5 minutes and needed to relight. It was then that the bowl began to shine. The 2 nd half was even smoother with a nutty, faint cocoa taste that it finished with. Not sweet, mid nic, it was easy to enjoy and just intricate enough in taste to keep me interested. This was a repeatable smoke that is easy to get used to.

If you are looking for a clean burley smoke, or transitioning from aromatics, this is the blend for you. Not overly complex, it nonetheless is a new favorite for me. When I looked for reviews online, I was surprised how few there were for Deluxe Crumb Cut. This blend deserves more attention than it seems to be getting. Recommended.
Thanks for the review! Now I need to try some of these....

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Just my opinion but I think DCC is actually better fresh.

I put a couple pounds away a few years ago and though age doesn't hurt it (I am generally an advocate for long term aging) it has lost some of that lovely top note. If you like the aromatic aspect maybe buy smaller amounts, and add lots of other WC blends to your cart.

Last edited:

Ernie Q

Sales

You’ve got “Super Spidey Sense”. There is literally around 1/100th of a percent of fine cut Latakia in DCC. It acts only to cool the burley a bit. We don’t use actual coumarin in tobacco.... it’s a very bad idea to use the base a blood thinning medication in tobacco...it’s a “coumarin like” natural flavoring which many have described as smelling like Coconut. Glad you enjoyed it!

Ernie Q

Sales
I hear he's buying McClellands......
Just my opinion but I think DCC is actually better fresh.

I put a couple pounds away a few years ago and though age doesn't hurt it (I am generally an advocate for long term aging) it has lost some of that lovely top note. If you like the aromatic aspect maybe buy smaller amounts, and lots of other WC blends can be added to your cart.
Most codger burleys are indeed better fresh. There’s just something about them that doesn’t do great with age.

Ernie Q

Sales
One of my favorite blends! And yes, I'm surprised that Ernie's creations don't get more love on TR. No better blender in the U.S! Spread the word and watch Ernie squander his millions in S Bang pipes and Spanish mansions. :banana:
Show me a millionaire tobacco blender and I’ll Show you a 3 ton pile of Syrian Latakia next to a cache of pre-Castro cigars.

MakDragon

Former PSF Wizard
Sales
Patron
You’ve got “Super Spidey Sense”. There is literally around 1/100th of a percent of fine cut Latakia in DCC. It acts only to cool the burley a bit. We don’t use actual coumarin in tobacco.... it’s a very bad idea to use the base a blood thinning medication in tobacco...it’s a “coumarin like” natural flavoring which many have described as smelling like Coconut. Glad you enjoyed it!
Ok everybody, I am about to embark on a Watch City buying endeavor.
I love Boswell's No Bite Delite, Classic Burley Kake from P&C. In fact, if that is all I could ever smoke again, I would die an extremely happy man.
I also loved Frog Morton Cellar. Fr Dempsey Blend from Kramers is also a favorite. Not much of an aro guy but Boswell's Northwoods is also heavily cellared at my house.
So what should I order????

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
I love Boswell's No Bite Delite, Classic Burley Kake from P&C. In fact, if that is all I could ever smoke again, I would die an extremely happy man.
I also loved Frog Morton Cellar. Fr Dempsey Blend from Kramers is also a favorite. Not much of an aro guy but Boswell's Northwoods is also heavily cellared at my house.
Deluxe Crumb Cut is a must given your list.
Slices and Quint's Own as well.

Send Ernie two nice bottles of whiskey...
Maybe he'll spill some of the second one on an English blend (Persian Slipper?) and you'll have your FMC.

Last edited:

Billy Joe

Load up on the DCC, I think you'll love it. (If you dont, I'll take it off your hands :thumb-yello:)
The Aromatic #7 is good, too. The Slices are really, really good, but doesn't compare with what you described.
I predict you will love whatever you order, I know I have.