Wax on wax off

nineX19guy

Hey y’all. Had a question for you pipesperts! I’m smoking a meerschaum that I’ve had for years but only have maybe 20 bowls in. I’ve heard people talk of waxing to improve coloring. I don’t think I have enough through this pipe to worry about waxing yet but I don’t know. So my question is this. When do I wax it? Which wax is the best to use?
image.jpg

Rainier

Hey y’all. Had a question for you pipesperts! I’m smoking a meerschaum that I’ve had for years but only have maybe 20 bowls in. I’ve heard people talk of waxing to improve coloring. I don’t think I have enough through this pipe to worry about waxing yet but I don’t know. So my question is this. When do I wax it? Which wax is the best to use?
View attachment 161385
Personally I don’t wax my meerschaum pipes and I don’t think wax does much, if anything, to enhance coloring. It may help protect the meerschaum but I don’t even worry about this either.
However, there are those that do believe it helps and they use beeswax and they may apply it at various intervals as preferred.

toadgoblin

You don't. The wax is just there to protect the soft material from scratches. These haven't been waxed since their purchase and they're coloring just fine.

View attachment 161391View attachment 161392View attachment 161393
You don't understand the gravity of what you've just said. The stupid waxing made me put down my apple meerschaum permanently. Now, I will absolutely bring it out of retirement. Bless you. The thing's a great smoker, but the waxing was such a chore and a hassle that I couldn't stand it anymore.

Chasing Embers

You don't understand the gravity of what you've just said. The stupid waxing made me put down my apple meerschaum permanently. Now, I will absolutely bring it out of retirement. Bless you. The thing's a great smoker, but the waxing was such a chore and a hassle that I couldn't stand it anymore.
Glad to be of help. Just for a contrast photo, this is what that skull pictured above looked like new and all I've done to it is smoke it.

IMG_4802__51590.1574218451.jpeg.jpg

OldPhatty

Awesome. No wax! I didn’t want to mess with that! Thanks y’all! Next question though, what is y’all’s takes on coloring bowls? TBH, I’m not overly concerned with coloring. I understand it is something that will just happen. Just wondering about them.
we got into this a bit in another thread. i can speak from my personal experience - i used a coloring bowl and my meer started coloring perfectly even over the whole pipe. there was no area that was darker than anywhere else. so i guess it’s handy if uniform coloring is your thing. but to be honest it looks a little boring that way to me.

and the futzing around required smoking with a coloring bowl… there’s now way i’ll ever do it again.

Top Bottom