What's new

Wet/moist cake/"reset"?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for the advice. I ordered a senior reamer since my reamer set doesnt fit very well in it. I'll clean out the crud and let it sit in the sun for awhile.
I gotta warn you: the senior reamer is very labor intensive. Be patient!

Since the blades are bent, with a sharp angle, only 1/8” makes good contact with the cake. It takes a long, long time to ream a pipe, even with soft cake, unless you are ok with uneven results.

After much frustration, I bought a Kleen Ream off eBay. It is the same basic design, but the blades are gently curved along an arc, better contact is made and much less time and many fewer adjustments are required.

I am not sure I am strictly permitted to post here. I am under 40 and I have only smoked briars for a few years, preferring cobs since I was a young man. But I learned this particular lesson the hard way.

Monkel

Because this pipe gets rest, something seems off about a pipe getting funky after only a month.
Was this pipe purchased new?

Brand new Rossi (Sav) treated chambers have never given me an issue.
If purchased as an estate, that opens up a whole other realm of possibilities.
Rossi pipes brand new. And I only smoke goopy aros out of a beachwood stanwell. But I havent had any goopys in awhile

JustScott

My guess would be that it's your packing. The "three step" method may work well for some people, but for me (and a number of others that I've read on here) all it will do is stuff too much tobacco in there. If your tobacco is dry enough, you can usually get away with it, but if the tobacco is at all moist, it's more compressible, and it's easy to make it too tight. Then when it heats, it expands and tightens, and this will cause MUCH more moisture in the bottom of the bowl, which then further wets the tobacco in the bottom, making it even more compressible. Suddenly you have a soggy rock down there. I'd say first, dry your tobacco longer. Then, try a two-stage packing method, or just put tobacco in there until you feel the first bit of resistance ON THE DRAW, not necessarily on your pack. Take a test draw, and as soon as you feel ANYTHING beyond just "free air", STOP. You're done packing at that point. Nevermind "water through a straw", that's more resistance than you want. See how it smokes with that. I know that in my case, my packing and my cadence and my ... well, pretty much everything got better when I let myself forget about the "methods." Was more fun, too.

blackmouth210

My guess would be that it's your packing. The "three step" method may work well for some people, but for me (and a number of others that I've read on here) all it will do is stuff too much tobacco in there. If your tobacco is dry enough, you can usually get away with it, but if the tobacco is at all moist, it's more compressible, and it's easy to make it too tight. Then when it heats, it expands and tightens, and this will cause MUCH more moisture in the bottom of the bowl, which then further wets the tobacco in the bottom, making it even more compressible. Suddenly you have a soggy rock down there. I'd say first, dry your tobacco longer. Then, try a two-stage packing method, or just put tobacco in there until you feel the first bit of resistance ON THE DRAW, not necessarily on your pack. Take a test draw, and as soon as you feel ANYTHING beyond just "free air", STOP. You're done packing at that point. Nevermind "water through a straw", that's more resistance than you want. See how it smokes with that. I know that in my case, my packing and my cadence and my ... well, pretty much everything got better when I let myself forget about the "methods." Was more fun, too.
^^^Excellent recommendations^^^

Given that the pipe is new and gets rest, I would suggest you go with the above after you get that funk out...which the salt treatment you're doing should fix.

Olmstead

Something I've found very helpful in maintaining the health of my pipes and their carbon cake is using silica gel packets. These usually come in all sorts of packages, usually with electronics, and always have 'DO NOT EAT' written on them.

When I first tried silica gel packets, I was amazed by how nice and dry my pipes were. Now I keep one in each of my pipe pouches, and a couple bigger ones in the old wooden cigar boxes I use to house some of my factory made pipes and cobs. It's made a world of difference in taste and smoking behavior, so I thought I'd share that.

soutso

Something I've found very helpful in maintaining the health of my pipes and their carbon cake is using silica gel packets. These usually come in all sorts of packages, usually with electronics, and always have 'DO NOT EAT' written on them.

When I first tried silica gel packets, I was amazed by how nice and dry my pipes were. Now I keep one in each of my pipe pouches, and a couple bigger ones in the old wooden cigar boxes I use to house some of my factory made pipes and cobs. It's made a world of difference in taste and smoking behavior, so I thought I'd share that.
If you want to try and save money, use the silica gel chrystal kitty litter. Be sure not to buy and scented type.

Olmstead

If you want to try and save money, use the silica gel chrystal kitty litter. Be sure not to buy and scented type.
That's good to know! I get the packets for free at work, otherwise I probably wouldn't buy them; we sell leather motorcycle jackets and helmets, and they put tons of silica gel packs inside the pockets and in the helmet boxes.

One thing I should add, silica gel will only be as dry as it has been stored. For example if it's been kept in a moist and cool environment, it will take in water and be of no use to you if you want to use it to dry out your pipe. I used the kitty litter version when storing my cigars and almost always found it to be dry (30-40 RH readings with my hygrometer) so I had to add distilled water to it to get it to my desired RH reading. Occasionally I would open a new bottle and it would be moist, 80plus RH so I realised that the gel crystals were not completely consistent but usually on the dry side.

That said, a day out in warm weather and sunlight dried them nicely.