What’s the strongest pipe tobacco?

Gunsmoke

Quasi Evil
Patron
When I started smoking a pipe I had been a cigar smoker for about 15 years previous. Like everyone else I didn't get the flavor I was looking for out of your basic Cavendish or Virginia blends. I found English / Balkan blends w/latakia to be what I was looking for.
As time went by trying new things my pallet has definitely changed and I enjoy those types of blends that just burned my mouth years ago.
Completely lost my taist for latakia and smoke mainly Virginia and Virginia/perique blends.
Moral of the story is be careful what you horde. Your tastes will probably change over time.

Yakster

Patron
When I started smoking a pipe I had been a cigar smoker for about 15 years previous. Like everyone else I didn't get the flavor I was looking for out of your basic Cavendish or Virginia blends. I found English / Balkan blends w/latakia to be what I was looking for.
As time went by trying new things my pallet has definitely changed and I enjoy those types of blends that just burned my mouth years ago.
Completely lost my taist for latakia and smoke mainly Virginia and Virginia/perique blends.
Moral of the story is be careful what you horde. Your tastes will probably change over time.
+1

This is what I wanted to hear. So I smoke a couple premium cigars a day. Going back to a pipe they don’t taste “good”. Hot, bland, no spice. Retrohale is so so. I think the stogies are hurting my palette The pipes not being perfect is another subject ( at length in codger section )
But just tobacco to tobacco it looks like a learning curve on the taste. Thank you for all the input!

PiperAtTheGates

Patron
Fill your boots with some GH Brown Irish X or the Black Irish XXX. Should be enough for your needs I imagine, use your biggest bowl and take some real good chugs. Then rest my friend. :sf1: Failing that see if you can find some Tambolaka, we had a group purchase some years back on the old site which I missed out on but got my hands on some later, that should do you too.

McWiggins

I think it should also be said that pipe smoking and cigar smoking are two different things. Past the obvious, their differences are more in the nuance of the flavors. Cigars tend be more up front with some flavor notes. While there are differences between sticks, they pale in comparison to pipe tobacco. As you train your pallet, you will notice more in the blends out there. In general, two blends can be quite similar but worlds apart. Even if the exact same tobacco's are used, how they are cased and processed can make them so very different.

I smoke cigars myself. Sometimes I to enjoy a real kickin' cigar. Other times something more light and creamy. Over all though, I enjoy a pipe more. Sure, there are strong blends out there and yes, we all like what we like but if you keep with the pipe, I implore you to look at other blends that are not strong. With all the variety available, it would be a shame to miss out on something special.

Or simply put, moonshine is nice but nothing wrong with something aged in an oak barrel either. ;)