What’s the strongest pipe tobacco?

SmokeRings

Patron
i’ll say that as someone who was a cigar smoker before coming to pipes, i thought i wanted the same thing, but that ended up not being the case. just took time to figure it out.

i do think cigars can overwhelm a pipe if you’re smoking both in the same day
I have found that if I want a cigar in a day, it's usually best to have it after any pipes I think I want, so as not to blow out the palette before the more delicate stuff

ClintonvilleLeather

Sales
I like em all. Maduro Connecticut’s sumatra etc. the HH dark Kentucky sounds really good!
HH Old Dark Fired is great a full and satisfying smoke that can be enjoyed all day. HH Bold Kentucky is STRONG. As already mentioned GH ropes are also very satisfying. All of these blends may need some drying as a too moist tobacco will produce a lot of steam which will dilute the strength. There is more of a learning curve to pipes than cigars.

Yakster

Patron
I have found that if I want a cigar in a day, it's usually best to have it after any pipes I think I want, so as not to blow out the palette before the more delicate stuff
Agreed. Like if I'm going to have a pour-over coffee and an espresso, it's best to have the coffee first to appreciate the subtle flavors before blasting my tastes buds with a straight espresso shot.

I'm finding that the more I get into pipes, the more I am appreciating milder cigars with complex flavors.

I was craving some Sansepolcro last night after I had a cigar but it was already very late.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So I’ve been a cigar man for 3 years, now dabbling in pipes again it seems the tobacco flavors and strengths are all mild. Is there any pipe tobacco that would be like a heavy maduro cigar? I need some nicotine! Lol
English-style tobaccos are subtle like a 2x4 swung at your jaw. Even for a cigar smoker, they're a very, ah, bold flavor.

If you are just dabbling in pipe smoking, and you find that everything tastes "mild," you are probably smoking the pipe too damn hard. Puffing away on a pipe makes any and all tobaccos taste like an ashtray -- just dull as dirt.

You have to be gentle. You can't just rip away at a pipe like you can on a cigar. You can "hotbox" a pipe with just a couple of sharp puffs.

Shoebox1.1

English-style tobaccos are subtle like a 2x4 swung at your jaw. Even for a cigar smoker, they're a very, ah, bold flavor.

If you are just dabbling in pipe smoking, and you find that everything tastes "mild," you are probably smoking the pipe too damn hard. Puffing away on a pipe makes any and all tobaccos taste like an ashtray -- just dull as dirt.

You have to be gentle. You can't just rip away at a pipe like you can on a cigar. You can "hotbox" a pipe with just a couple of sharp puffs.
I am for sure not expirienced

JustScott

Tomorrow I’m “resetting” my situation. Brand new cob and brand new carter hall. Let’s see what the baseline tastes like. No cigar. I’m just looking for what nicotine I get in this test. So far no pipe has satisfied my taste
The Carter Hall will not likely satisfy you on nicotine. I think there may be some, but I could never feel it or find it. Still a good blend, and will help you learn how to smoke properly, but you'll need something else to supply nicotine. If you have or can find 5 Brothers, it mixes well with CH and will cure the problem.

Shoebox1.1

I mainly am looking for satisfaction. The CH was pretty good this morning. Main thing is I’m “getting it” now. I was doing everything wrong. It’s like a light switch was thrown and I get it now. So now I can look for nicotine and flavor strength. I’m on the right path. I am going to take all this thread with me tobacco shopping and go from there. Thank You!!!