What Are You Smoking, March 2020?

Half a pot of coffee and a couple aromatics. I picked up several samples recently for a change of pace, so far Lane LL-7 is pretty nice....1Q ish but even better. An old favorite, Sutliff Vanilla Custard. For a gooper the stuff is very well behaved and has a nice pastry/spice character. On the flip side, MB 7 Seas Gold, Newminster Danish Gold have done nothing for me. PS Nougat and Sutliff R-18 arent bad but not a while lot going on either. Creme Brulee and Sunset Rum are up later.

I have a Bertram 125 just like yours! It has some of the finest 360 flame grain I’ve ever seen. I don’t think I’ve even smoked it yet because it’s so perfect!

C&D Carolina Red Flake in a Bertram billiard. I confess I wasn’t too crazy about this blend when I first tried it, but took someone’s advice and let it sit in the open tin for a month. Now I find this tobacco has opened up a little bit, and I am able to perceive a little tangy note, along with some fruitiness. The bready note still dominates, and like most C&D Virginia’s, I feel that this is a Virginia that wants to be a Burley when it grows up lol. Overall though, much more enjoyable now that it has had time to breathe! Hope everyone is having a good one!
-Scott View attachment 57018 :sneaky:

Going fishing tomorrow!:banana:

11:11
Nice! Our rivers and streams open for trout season on last weekend of April. I’m out of hooks and line so hope stores are back to business by then. If not, I already have plans to borrow from Les “Survivorman” Stroud’s playbook and fashion a hook from a soda can tab.

HU Sissinghurst (gotta try it, Lakeland fans) in a cob.
CAC2F07C-0C70-4D23-B1FE-9CC711A0A4CB.jpeg

I have a Bertram 125 just like yours! It has some of the finest 360 flame grain I’ve ever seen. I don’t think I’ve even smoked it yet because it’s so perfect!
Not only does it look good from an aesthetic standpoint, but my Bertram has the most open draw of any pipe I have ever owned. I definitely need to seek more out....they made some really quality pipes!

JimInks

Old Ted Award Winner
A quarter of the way through one of the blends I was gifted today, which I haven't smoked in several years: Newminster No. 400 Superior Navy Flake in a smooth full bend dark brown 1977 Crown Coachman (Comoy’s second) 215 egg with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Haven't smoked this pipe in a long time, either. This is the first expensive pipe I ever bought. Cost me $25 at a Tinderbox. For many years, it was one of my most smoked pipes, but in recent times, has been a bit neglected. Well, it's going to be back in action for a little while.

Not only does it look good from an aesthetic standpoint, but my Bertram has the most open draw of any pipe I have ever owned. I definitely need to seek more out....they made some really quality pipes!
Steve Laug is in the process of restoring dozens of Bertrams from a single estate and currently has several for sale:

https://rebornpipes.com/rebornpipes-store/pipes-made-by-american-pipemaking-companies/

Although I’m not actively collecting Bertram I do have several and they are all keepers!