What blend did your grandfather smoke?

Merk3030

Tripe Leader
Patron
Lots of people who were Winston smokers... Winstons must have been better at some point.
Winstons were so delicious until they stopped putting ammonia or whatever additives they soaked them in to make them extra tasty in the 90’s. Then they went to the “100% No Bull” campaign and they never tasted the same after. My mom and bro still smoke them tho. I had switched to Camels after that...

JustScott

Winstons were so delicious until they stopped putting ammonia or whatever additives they soaked them in to make them extra tasty in the 90’s. Then they went to the “100% No Bull” campaign and they never tasted the same after. My mom and bro still smoke them tho. I had switched to Camels after that...
I remember that ad campaign, but that was in '97 (just looked it up, thank you Wikipedia.) I smoked my last (sneaked) Winston in about 1990. The next day I smoked my first (purchased) Camel, and that was that. The difference was amazing to me. Possibly just the Turkish, but I never even looked back. I can't even remember what Winstons tasted like, just that Camels tasted so much better to me. Maybe buying my own tasted better to me...

cajunrph

Figuring out life, one puff at a time.
I wish I knew. He passed in 65 three years before I was born. My siblings and I just recently inherited his home and shop. He was a woodworker on the side job. We were not allowed in his shop. We were sufficiently scared off by the thick brush that enveloped the shop over the years and the tales of snakes in the shop. I need to get there with a chainsaw and see what's in there. I'm sure there's a story to be told in that shop. It's in North East Mississippi and I'm on the Texas Gulf coast. I'll get up there with time to do this.

gnossos

the pineapple on your pizza
Patron
Lots of people who were Winston smokers... Winstons must have been better at some point.
For real. Pall Mall too.

When I smoked cigarettes, I switched from Camels to American Spirit at one point, and Winstons and Pall Malls smoked slow like Spirits did, but they tasted like roasted buttholes.

TBH I feel the same way about Marlboro, they just burned faster and had more nicotine and maybe better package design. Better than Pall Mall / Winston, but they were the Bud Lite to the more refined Coors that Camel represented.

And then there was Kamel Red. Those were just crack.

gnossos

Patron
For one hot minute after posting that I was like man I kinda want a Camel now but then I remembered how crappy even the best cigarettes taste and how bad I felt while smoking butts.

And now I'm remembering a time when I was in a Situation with a guy who only smoked Nat Sherman Black and Golds and well I'm not gonna go into that story but while they are good I am not fond of the like three people left on earth who smoke them.

BeansandBalance

Half Caffeinated
I was 7 when my paternal grandad died. My 82 year old Aunt remembers him smoking a pipe but mainly cigarillos. He apparently stopped when the first grandchild was born (wife and daughter pressure im sure). My Aunt is a staunch anti-tobacco person and she doesnt like her dads history that includes his smoking days. Ha! But i dug deep in the family picture stash and found and scanned this pic. My mother is on the left. Wish i knew what tobacco he smoked.

Attachments

lowercaseG

For real. Pall Mall too.

When I smoked cigarettes, I switched from Camels to American Spirit at one point, and Winstons and Pall Malls smoked slow like Spirits did, but they tasted like roasted buttholes.

TBH I feel the same way about Marlboro, they just burned faster and had more nicotine and maybe better package design. Better than Pall Mall / Winston, but they were the Bud Lite to the more refined Coors that Camel represented.

And then there was Kamel Red. Those were just crack.
When I smoked the heaters, I only went through about a pack every 1-2 weeks. (Although, I could also smoke a whole pack on a Friday or Saturday night.) Anyway, I gotta say, kamel reds & red lights were the best tasting cigs on the market.

gnossos

Patron
My maternal Grandfather "Pop" was a pipe smoker. Even though he passed away when I was five, I remember him with his pipes and an occasional cigar. I imagine he smoked mostly OTC's. I do know that he smoked Granger at least once as I have can in which my Grandmother saved buttons.
View attachment 48032
Is the top of that Granger can an ashtray with a pipe knocker? That's kind of a neat design

My dad smoked cigarettes, but it was my uncle that smoked pipes. I mostly remember him with Captain Black. For some time he had a good sized pipe rack in his living room - the kind with a jar in the middle. That jar was filled with tobacco - I’m just not sure what. I was pretty ticked because he would allow his sons - around my age - to grab a pipe, pack a bowl, then smoke it. My dad would allow it (I was around 12)!

Fr_Tom

PSD Chaplain
Old Ted Award Winner
Do remember that for many of our fathers/grandfather's time overseas was obligatory and rations of cigarettes were included, many, many lucky strike customers were born that way, would not shock me a bit to learn that Camel, Winston and Pall Mall were issued at various times as well.
I found this on Wikipedia wrt brands. "Typical commercial brands issued in the cigarette ration were: Camel, Chesterfield, Kent, Kool, Lucky Strike, Marlboro, Pall Mall, Salem, or Winston. Due to health concerns, cigarettes were eliminated from the accessory packs in 1975.[4]"

SmokeRings

Patron
I found this on Wikipedia wrt brands. "Typical commercial brands issued in the cigarette ration were: Camel, Chesterfield, Kent, Kool, Lucky Strike, Marlboro, Pall Mall, Salem, or Winston. Due to health concerns, cigarettes were eliminated from the accessory packs in 1975.[4]"
I can tell you that Schlitz beer still had an item order code in the Army as late as 2011, probably still in there, our supply guys had a ton of time to kill while deployed and found all kinds of stuff still technically able to be ordered, I knew Lucky Strikes were ordered for troops, I had no idea Marlboros and Camels were ever in the catalog, good find that.