What blend did your grandfather smoke?

Shisno

Bringer of donuts
Patron
Nobody in my family smoked. But my late grandfather in law on my wife’s mother side smoked a pipe. He passed away before I met him but I have two of his pipes. He used to smoke Sail Green. Every now and then I will light that blend up around my mother in law just so she can experience the room note of her fathers pipe tobacco

Steve Wright

Blissfully unaware
Patron
Nobody in my family smoked. But my late grandfather in law on my wife’s mother side smoked a pipe. He passed away before I met him but I have two of his pipes. He used to smoke Sail Green. Every now and then I will light that blend up around my mother in law just so she can experience the room note of her fathers pipe tobacco
That’s such a thoughtful thing to do. Good on you

Merk3030

Tripe Leader
Patron
So, after talking to my Dad, his father was not a smoker, but my dad tried all sorts of tobacco products and enjoyed cigars most of all the different delivery methods. My mom’s father smoked cigarettes. Even through the Tracheotomy hole in his neck or so the legend goes. From what I hear of him, I believe it. Sadly, I didn’t get to meet my grandfathers...

yetanotherbob

Thought I'd resurrect this one

Discovered very recently Father's side: Player's Digger Shag in the same pipe every day (a billiard) until it became too battered or he broke it and only then did he buy a new one. He was a GP.

Digger.jpg

Mother's side Sullivan Powell - Gentleman's Mixture, They lived just around the corner from their shop in the Burlington Arcade. He died in 1980 and was a Judge so he owned more than one pipe ;)

sullivan-powell.jpg

Dad: Condor Ready Rubbed (in a Falcon) He was a Barrister and always had it sticking out of his mouth

Uncle: St Bruno (in a Falcon) He was a GP and I clearly remember his consulting room being full of pipe smoke when we dropped in on him in the 60's

Pedro

My grandfather smoked Edgeworth (tub). When he couldn't find it, he bought Prince Albert or Sir Walter Raleigh.
He only smoked straight pipes in classic shapes (billiard most), only matches and I never saw a pipe cleaner.
He smoked all day and used his finger as a tamper. I guess he classifies as a old codger 🤣
301AB7C9-D6A5-4796-9780-BED81CF0E76C.jpeg

Wooda

Cob Cobbler
Great thread resurrection.

Grampa Wooda died of a massive heart attack when my father was 12. He smoked a pipe in all of his coast guard photos.

I, being the loving grandson, decided to do some research and talked with Grandma Wooda about his smoking habits. She closed her eyes for a moment, thought about it and said "Revelation".

That short sentence ended the interview, leaving me with an opportunity to indulge her in a little nostalgia for her long dead one true love (she never remarried)

Next time I went over to mow the lawn, I had a match blend burning in my most beat up billiard. Grandma came out with a glass of water, stared me down with the Matriarch gaze, flared her nostrils.

"I still hate the smell" she said.

And that was that, and I never tried another Revelation match.

Father smoked camels until he quit cold turkey, opening weekend of trout season in 1995. It was a hell of a family camping trip. Since then, he has had a total of 5 cigars between major births, deaths and weddings. The smell of camels still makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Pedro

Great thread resurrection.

Grampa Wooda died of a massive heart attack when my father was 12. He smoked a pipe in all of his coast guard photos.

I, being the loving grandson, decided to do some research and talked with Grandma Wooda about his smoking habits. She closed her eyes for a moment, thought about it and said "Revelation".

That short sentence ended the interview, leaving me with an opportunity to indulge her in a little nostalgia for her long dead one true love (she never remarried)

Next time I went over to mow the lawn, I had a match blend burning in my most beat up billiard. Grandma came out with a glass of water, stared me down with the Matriarch gaze, flared her nostrils.

"I still hate the smell" she said.

And that was that, and I never tried another Revelation match.

Father smoked camels until he quit cold turkey, opening weekend of trout season in 1995. It was a hell of a family camping trip. Since then, he has had a total of 5 cigars between major births, deaths and weddings. The smell of camels still makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
What a good story! My dad smoked "Café cream" (mini cigars) ... When he was in college he smoked a pipe, but I never saw him with one.
Since he stopped smoking he remembers with nostalgia his “cafe cream” (yellows) and always says that it is the hardest thing he has ever given up (he smoked a pack of 20 a day and inhaled some of the smoke, so he was well hooked ).
My mom smoked cigarettes, just like my grandmother.
With all these references, it was impossible for me not to smoke 😂 (like my two brothers who smoke cigarettes).

DrCapacitor

There’s a certain madness to my methods.
Patron
Great thread. My dads dad doesnt smoke, and apparently never has. My dad said he smoked cigarettes for a while when he was younger but quit, and now hates them. He smokes cigars on occasion. I miss hanging out with him, smoking on the porch in peace.

My mom smoked cigarettes all through my life and just recently quit and picked up hookah. She told me when she found out i picked up piping, that her dad smoked pipes. She remembers making jokes about his Prince Albert tins and to let him out, and she remembers a blue striped bag with a face on it, so im guessing SWRA. She loves the smell of PA and im sure to remember to smoke it when were around each other.... as long as its around! I also enjoy SWRA and regular SWR.
Thats it. I never met my moms dad, although i really wish i could have. A WWII Navy vet wounded on the USS KIDD. I vaguely remember seeing a picture of him with a pipe...

I’m the only one that i know of that smokes a pipe in my family. I hope to finally rid myself of cigarettes someday soon. Hopefully one day i can pass on the pipe lifestyle.

Great thread. Great stories.

MakDragon

Optimistic Curmudgeon
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner

Chico

I found an old Velvet tin in my maternal grandmother's stuff after she died, but I don't think she or her husband smoked a pipe (she smoked some aro cigarillos, though, and cigarettes with nasty yellow plastic filters).

On my dad's side I never knew my grandfather and am not sure if he smoked. But my dad did. All I know is that it was the same Latakia blend his whole life until he quit in the mid-80s. One of the things that made it easier for him to quit was that his brand was discontinued, so I wonder if it was a Dunhill blend before resurrection but none of their tin art triggers memories so I dunno. I'd love to find out, though. He used to buy it from pipe shops in a large paint can-style tin which I think was light blue.

The only "grandfather" I knew was my mother's stepfather. He was a pipe smoker and smoked George Washington up until they stopped making it. I started pipe smoking in 1972 and he died in 1979. I sometime regret that I never had the opportunity to smoke a pipe with him as I was in the Coast Guard and not stationed near home. I think he switched to Carter Hall after he smoked the last of his George Washington.

Several years ago, I bought an unopened 14 oz can of George Washington from pipestud and I have about half of it left. I still pull it out and smoke a bowl from time to time. Especially when my oldest sister is visiting.