What do you guys use for the sanding disc set up?

DitchPig

Hello everyone,

I have been toying with the idea of setting up a small wood shop for some pipe making and just general small wood projects. I have been reading and doing research, looking at tools etc and I can not for the life of me find the tool people are using to sand the pipe down to its final shape. I can’t find just a motor or the correct sanding discs.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you

SwampWeed

Black Twist & Black Beer
Patron
Sales
You are probably talking about a French wheel. Vermont freehand usually has them. There are other suppliers.

Motors can be anything really. An old lathe motor or buffer , etc.

I don't make pipes but I've been a (hobby) woodworker for a while.... My only suggestion is to see if you enjoy doing it with Dremel and a drill press (or other basic tools) before you go all out with it.

I'm sure some of the pros will have better advice. Good luck! đź‘Ť

Mikewood

Harbor freight has some nice little sander and buffer motors with dual spindles. You can unscrew the guards off of a grinder and do some things. Chuck a hand drill into a vice etc. there are lots of options when you are just stating out and don’t want to Spende hundreds of dollars.

Cramptholomew

It's, like, Phyllis Diller funny.
Sales
I’ve used this variable speed angle grinder as my main shaping disc for 4 years. It was like $35 at Harbor Freight.
01F0FCF4-F722-4467-9FDE-E5F905A0DCFB.jpeg
I also have this 1750RPM sump pump motor with my French wheels. I really need to upgrade to something with a VFD. That’ll come sooner than later. (I’ve said this for 3 years)
428F16D4-1E53-47CD-8516-26617CC1F133.jpeg

Cramptholomew

It's, like, Phyllis Diller funny.
Sales
Oh, so, you are probably looking for French wheels. Vermont Freehand. But you need a motor, and a Beall arbor. Like I showed above, I have a sump pump motor (5/8” shaft I think) with a Beall arbor. But, I just started using this setup. Before that I was just using the angle grinder for everything.

DocAitch

I will warn you that you will get to the final shape with files and hand sanding- you can only go so far with a french wheel or any other motorized sander.
My French wheel set up is similar to Jason’s -fixed speed 1725 rpm motor with Beall system, and my rough shaping disc has a similar set up eccept I use a Jacob’s chuck with an arbor adapter. I have since exchanged the lock screws for Allen screws.
DocAitch
.F76D9BB3-6A39-4C08-8040-CFA03DFF9D2C.jpeg.

DitchPig

I will warn you that you will get to the final shape with files and hand sanding- you can only go so far with a french wheel or any other motorized sander.
My French wheel set up is similar to Jason’s -fixed speed 1725 rpm motor with Beall system, and my rough shaping disc has a similar set up eccept I use a Jacob’s chuck with an arbor adapter. I have since exchanged the lock screws for Allen screws.
DocAitch
.View attachment 166522.
Thanks for the info, do you use the motor for buffing as well?

DocAitch

Thanks for the info, do you use the motor for buffing as well?
No. I have two of the Foredom “Bench Lathes” set up, one with Tripoli and the other with White Diamond. These are fantastic little machines- variable speed and torquey.
I do have a salvaged sump pump motor set up for mostly waxing. Its a 1725 rpm motor with a handy switch built in. I put a simple net consisting of 2 rods inserted into the bench with cloth draped over the rods. This is a real tear saver when you launch a pipe.
I can use Beall 8” buffs because this uses the Beall arbor but prefer the Foredoms because they are variable speed- slow for wood, faster for acrylic, and much faster for ebonite.

2CAA77FC-AC30-46C7-9CFC-B49A16459AF0.jpeg

Top Bottom