What in the name of Sam Hill is this?

MasterJoda

Picked this pipe up today at an antique store along with a few others. For some reason I forgot to pull the stem on it at the shop, once I got home I pulled it out and found this. It almost looks like ya-boy tried to make a stinger for this pipe. The mortis is just regular ol wood, no threads or inserts, and the tenon seems to be pretty standard. I went to pull it out and it snapped off at the end of the tenon so I will have to drill it out or something.

The stem needs a lot of work anyway so I had planned for this one to be a project that expands my restoration skill set.

Just wondering if anyone had ever seen anything like this.

Attachments

SmokeRings

Patron
Some folk just can't help but tinker with things until they don't work right hmm? I completely understand why Kaywoodie etc introduced the stingers first time around, marketing being a necessary part of business even if the stingers science is shady at best, but why on earth would somebody feel the need to put one in after the pipe was already made?!

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
Just going by the photos, that pipe appears to be a Comoy second and I'm not convinced that stem is the original.
If true, who knows where that stem came from. A previous owner may have tried the makeshift stinger as a means to control the issues caused by a less-than-perfect replacement stem.

I'm curious. Some Comoys and their seconds came with stingers. Anyone know if this model was originally equipped with one?

MasterJoda

Just going by the photos, that pipe appears to be a Comoy second and I'm not convinced that stem is the original.
If true, who knows where that stem came from. A previous owner may have tried the makeshift stinger as a means to control the issues caused by a less-than-perfect replacement stem.

I'm curious. Some Comoys and their seconds came with stingers. Anyone know if this model was originally equipped with one?
That’s impressive you can tell that from the pics. It’s says “Royal Lane” on the stamp, but I don’t think it has anything else stamped on it. If I can’t get this stem to work out then it may become a project one day for me to make one.

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
That’s impressive you can tell that from the pics. It’s says “Royal Lane” on the stamp, but I don’t think it has anything else stamped on it. If I can’t get this stem to work out then it may become a project one day for me to make one.
Nah! I'm not doing anything impressive.
2 of my 3 points are simple to figure out.
And the third is only a guess/opinion.

I'm pretty sure "Royal Lane" is a Comoy Second.
I'm very sure some Comoy pipes (and thereby some of their Seconds) were mfr'd with stingers.
My third point was about the stem...something looks just a bit off to my eye. So I guessed it could be a replacement.

RedScot

Just glancing at that tenon, it looks like a homemade replacement bit anyways. Fitting a new one would be the way I'd go.
The condenser apparatus is unique. The question that springs to mind is hpw the mortise might be rearranged to fit it.