What's new

What makes an All Day Blend?

BubbaBriar

I spent a considerable amount of time reading tobacco blend reviews and usually tucked in there is a comment regarding if the blend is suitable as an "all day smoke". Which probably doesn't apply to me at all as I rarely smoke over 3 or 4 bowls a day. I have some what I'd call dependables which I like no matter my mood or whatever is going on. Capstan Blue comes to mind. I know everyone has their own tastes but is their some kind of guidelines what an all day smoke should be? How do you judge if a blend is suitable for all day smoking?

Fr_Tom

PSD Chaplain
Old Ted Award Winner
I do smoke all day as a rule. I consider a blend to be a good candidate for "all-day" status if it is not too extreme in any particular category, and it is satisfying. These are pretty squishy qualifiers I realize. There are plenty of things that are nicotine/latakia/flavor bombs that I might enjoy a bowl of every now and then. I would get palate fatigue if I smoked them all day.

Arkie

An all day mixture has the meet the following criteria for me:
It has to be readily available. If it can be found only rarely or from an exclusive source it isn't worth the hassle.
It has to be reasonably priced. I realize price is subjective but I'm not willing to pay more than $20 for a 100 gram tin.
It has to be mild. Obviously, If it bites you wouldn't want to smoke it all day.
It has to be neither too harsh nor too bland.
It has to have a room note (fragrance) that isn't objectionable to most people.
It has to smoke without leaving a black, sticky goop in pipes.
Most important of all, it has to be tasty. This is probably the most subjective criteria of all. I like stuff that other smokers hate & vice versa.

DGErwin11

Supreme Curmudgeon
Staff member
Like so much else it comes down to personal preference. I smoke a lot. 14 oz tub of Carter Hall per month lot. That is the only blend I smoke, except right now I am smoking near clones, Angler's Dream and Chatham Manor which I was gifted. So I guess you could say I consider CH an all day blend. A lot of our members would quit smoking if they had to stick with only one blend. A review is only one man's opinion. As long as you enjoy smoking your pipe as you are, don't try to force a square peg in a round hole by trying to conform to another's opinion, no matter how much you respect him.:old:

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
Good question! I haven't a clue. Since I think that any blend could be an all day smoke for someone that wanted to smoke it all day, I have no idea how anyone can say any particular blend is or isn't an all day smoke... unless they are speaking of their own personal preferences. If I wanted to smoke something all day, I would do so, and it wouldn't matter a whit that someone proclaimed it not an all day smoke.

AceFour

It has to be readily available. If it can be found only rarely or from an exclusive source it isn't worth the hassle.
It has to be reasonably priced. I realize price is subjective but I'm not willing to pay more than $20 for a 100 gram tin.
It has to be mild. Obviously, If it bites you wouldn't want to smoke it all day.
Most important of all, it has to be tasty. This is probably the most subjective criteria of all. I like stuff that other smokers hate & vice versa.
I'm with @Arkie on this. Some blends can also be overpowering and fry your taste buds if continuously smoked. I use to smoke really strong cigars and stopped because everything just tasted the same after awhile. Same holds true to pipe tobacco.

Fr_Tom

PSD Chaplain
Old Ted Award Winner
I was not thinking of room note issues, but that is a consideration for me too. I am a lot more likely to be smoking Golden Extra at the office instead of OJK. The available and cost thing go unsaid for me since I am practical and cheap mindful of cost. They are good to have on the list though just in general.

Ozark Wizard

This.

Arkie

I was not thinking of room note issues, but that is a consideration for me too. I am a lot more likely to be smoking Golden Extra at the office instead of OJK. The available and cost thing go unsaid for me since I am practical and cheap mindful of cost. They are good to have on the list though just in general.
I agree. I'm willing to pay a bit extra if I am especially fond of a mixture in order to splurge occasionally but an all day mixture needs to be relatively inexpensive.

SmokeRings

I think that those above have basically nailed it down, middle of the road satisfying and generally mindless smoke in my world.

Bit of a side track but I consider Pegasus an all day smoke, always gets compliments, effortless to load/light/smoke, satisfying on the Vitamin N front, and easy on the taste buds...

As a contrast I do not consider MacBaren HH Acadian Perique an all day smoke, daily smoke yes, but not all day, it checks all the boxes except i find it a bit too much flavor wise to smoke multiple bowls a day every day. Suppose it goes without saying that our own individual tastes and body chemistry will determine what does and does not fall into this category.

StompyMcFat

Great responses! There is a lot of blends that I can't do back to back. I could not smoke a Virginia all day. Too nuanced and sensitive to technique. Nor could I do strong blends all day. It is too much on the old mouth. But light and smooth blends I could do. Currently smoking WC DCC and I could do this all year.

mdromero

For me, an all day blend is something light on the palate, easy to load and light and comfortable to smoke, like Carter Hall, Prince Albert or Sir Walter Raleigh. I also like the local availability and low cost of these blends as it allows me to enjoy pipe smoking more often than I would if I had to order online and pay shipping costs all the time. But I think any pipe tobacco you enjoy can be your all day blend.

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
Patron
For me a daily blend is one that I can smoke no matter the weather as I am always outside. By no matter the weather I mean days when its bitter cold, or days when its 90 plus degrees with high humidity. My go to blend has always been my 50/50 mix of Boswells premuim burley mixed with Dans blend also from Boswells. The blend is a nice mild aromatic that is very easy on the palate, and has some really great flavors, and is not a heavy hitter with nicotine. Its also not goopy. It burns well, and behaves well when it comes to relights. I also detest bay sitting my pipe. By this I mean constant relights due to having to fuss with certain tobaccos. Much has already been said about "All-Day-Blends", and I too agree with a lot of what has been said. Arkie touched on some good points. I too realize that some folks may not like to smoke a specific blend all of the time, but although I have a wide vriety of stuff stashed away I find myself reaching for VaBurs through the day, and in the evenings I may spring for a little something such as a mild Latakia blend. I have been known to pretty much just load up my pipe with what ever strikes me at the time if I am home. j