What's new

What Type of Tobacco Tends to Color a Meerschaum Faster.

Blackop555

I don't notice a color change from different tobacco's. The 1q i smoke in it sits in an open bowl.i don't find wetter tobacco doing anything but being harder to keep lit and hotter. If you are smoking it lots for a couple weeks and it feels wet inside be sure to not pick at anything on the outside before it dries for a week or two because i have actually gouged meerschaum.

Siv

Mg4Si6O15(OH)2·6H2O
Sales
If you clean your meer well after each smoke then it won't ghost so you can smoke anything in it.

One of the theories of colouring is that the cooler the smoke, the more even the colour. So people who smoke slow and steady over a longer period of time will have the whole pipe colour whereas chuffers will colour the shank more quickly. Despite some noble experiments, this is all theory and personally I think the variability of the block has much more impact than the smoking style. For me, just smoke and enjoy - colour will come with time.

dmkerr

Staff member
I have 2 estate Meers that have been ghosted with Lakelands. The ghost isn't very heavy but it can be tasted.
Meerschaum pipes certainly ghost. If I were to smoke a straight Virginia in a pipe I usually reserve for latakia blends, the VA would taste like latakia. Ditto a Lakeland pipe. I clean my pipes after each bowl and those ghosts remain. It's why I dedicate pipes to certain types of tobaccos. No, they aren't heavy ghosts, but they are noticeable enough to change the flavor of a conflicting tobacco.

I suppose if you switched up the blends each bowl and made sure to thoroughly clean the stem and wipe out any bowl and shank residue carefully, you *might* not taste Lakeland in your next bowl of burley, or latakia in your next bowl of Gooper. But over time, those pipes definitely ghost.

dmkerr

Staff member
These are both 2015POYs, about 3 1/2 years old. Approximately same amount of Carter Hall through each. If you are looking for a logical explanation of the meer coloring process, good luck View attachment 15175
As I stated before, you're doing it correctly. The best way to color a meerschaum is to smoke the bejeebers out of the pipe without overheating it. Your pipes are coloring as most meerschaums will under those circumstances, heavy on the shank and lighter up the bowl until a sort of uniformity takes over.

Now if you'd just stop rubbing them against walls, sandpaper, nails and other artifacts.... ya troglodyte! heh-heh.

DGErwin11

Supreme Curmudgeon
Staff member
Patron
As I stated before, you're doing it correctly. The best way to color a meerschaum is to smoke the bejeebers out of the pipe without overheating it. Your pipes are coloring as most meerschaums will under those circumstances, heavy on the shank and lighter up the bowl until a sort of uniformity takes over.

Now if you'd just stop rubbing them against walls, sandpaper, nails and other artifacts.... ya troglodyte! heh-heh.
. . . and the horse you rode in on.

C

Cap'n Terrible

I just purchased my first meerschaum pipe (Altinok Santa Claus). I guess the title of this thread says it all. QUOTE]

Wanna buy one that comes pre-colored? It's a lousy smoke, burns real hot, leaks at the joint and it'll cost ya'... but it's colored!

Pipe No.05 Strambach Calcinated Meerschaum.PNG

Just kidding. :)