What's in your cheek?

gnossos

the pineapple on your pizza
Patron
There seems to be a mini-epidemic of mostly young guys suffering after raising their nicotine tolerance by using those insanely high-nicotine pouches coming out of Eastern Europe. "Garage nicotine pouches" with 100 or 200 or even 500 mg/g of nicotine. Siberia is something like 43 mg. Regular snus is only about 8 mg.

Anyway, making snus is dead easy and can be done in a day if you have a pressure cooker. First batch I did was 5 or 6 years ago using some ground Semois. I was surprised how easy it was and how good it tasted. That was my rabbit hole. Now, I make a few batches a year and each one seems better than the one before. Only drawback to homemade is that they're invariably loose snus, so you're sacrificing the neatness and discretion that is a hefty portion of why many people use snus in the first place. But I've got an asthmatic kid and burning tobacco is just a rare treat for me nowadays.
oh that’s great to know. yeah i mean, if Siberia is causing my lip to burn i can’t even imagine what stronger would be like. do you like what you make better? i do like the discretion so it may be a non starter...

gnossos

Patron
tbh when i got the Siberia i figured it was just “strong” like General Extra Strong is “strong”

how are they suffering, just massive nicotine withdrawal or are they having heart attacks or something?

beaupipe

tbh when i got the Siberia i figured it was just “strong” like General Extra Strong is “strong”

how are they suffering, just massive nicotine withdrawal or are they having heart attacks or something?
Kids puking from nicotine poisoning, suffering withdrawal. There have been a few hospitalizations and, apparently, at least one death. There are now bans in some places (Russia, for example).

It's just silly stuff that kids get up to when they're chasing a "buzz." But those pouches aren't really snus. They're just cellulose powder pumped full of nicotine salts.

I like actual snus with tobacco. There is a sort of artisan snus movement in Sweden, like these guys - https://hantverkssnus.se/ - and apparently there are small-time makers who sell their limited runs at farmer's markets. Swedes are able-for now, at any rate-to buy pre-ground tobacco in bulk for low prices. All the other ingredients can be found at a grocery store. So a lot of people play around with flavors and strengths and blends. It's just cooking and it's amusing. And yeah, they do taste great. But they're loose, so a pain on an airplane or in an office or even just when you're talking a lot. But they're the best on a solitary hike or while sitting and reading.

gnossos

Patron
Kids puking from nicotine poisoning, suffering withdrawal. There have been a few hospitalizations and, apparently, at least one death. There are now bans in some places (Russia, for example).

It's just silly stuff that kids get up to when they're chasing a "buzz." But those pouches aren't really snus. They're just cellulose powder pumped full of nicotine salts.

I like actual snus with tobacco. There is a sort of artisan snus movement in Sweden, like these guys - https://hantverkssnus.se/ - and apparently there are small-time makers who sell their limited runs at farmer's markets. Swedes are able-for now, at any rate-to buy pre-ground tobacco in bulk for low prices. All the other ingredients can be found at a grocery store. So a lot of people play around with flavors and strengths and blends. It's just cooking and it's amusing. And yeah, they do taste great. But they're loose, so a pain on an airplane or in an office or even just when you're talking a lot. But they're the best on a solitary hike or while sitting and reading.
very interesting, thanks!

gnossos

Patron
I actually think I'd be fine with loose, I think I misunderstood what you were saying and that you were indicating you needed to use more of it

So long as I'm not ripping a horseshoe in my lower lip and spitting in jars I'm fine with it, maybe I will give it a shot with some semois

makes sense about the kids too, I assumed it couldn't have been due to tobacco, but I've always been curious how bad straight nicotine products are for you without tobacco - like, Nicorette stuff.

Darin

Holy cow … those are some insane Nicotine levels you listed!
I'm enjoying some Chimo El Tigrito "Yellow" right now and it's around 6 or 8 mg/g but the alkalinity provides fast absorption.

I've always been curious how bad straight nicotine products are for you without tobacco
Mr. Snuff has a new product out called "SNUV" … tobacco free snuff with added nicotine. It's supposedly pretty strong!

gnossos

Patron
I finished my can of Serbia Brown a few days ago and it was a great ride and a good treat in the car, but I think that'll be it. I do want to stop this stuff eventually, so I need not be tempted by making my own. But also, what if I did?

You know it's a bad sign that I ordered a few to try out, though, and I had a particular feeling about Lundgren's Skane Stark. I feel like this is the one I can leave in forever as a nicotine drip. I've noticed I've reached for this more often than General Snus Extra Strong, which now seems wrong to me.

I know nothing about this stuff so it's probably made in a basement by a german nihilist looking to get people to OD on nicotine, but it seems fairly mild. This is the only one I got multiple cans of and I find I'm going for it more than the general, which is the only one I had tried before this little departure.

beaupipe

I finished my can of Serbia Brown a few days ago and it was a great ride and a good treat in the car, but I think that'll be it. I do want to stop this stuff eventually, so I need not be tempted by making my own. But also, what if I did?

You know it's a bad sign that I ordered a few to try out, though, and I had a particular feeling about Lundgren's Skane Stark. I feel like this is the one I can leave in forever as a nicotine drip. I've noticed I've reached for this more often than General Snus Extra Strong, which now seems wrong to me.

I know nothing about this stuff so it's probably made in a basement by a german nihilist looking to get people to OD on nicotine, but it seems fairly mild. This is the only one I got multiple cans of and I find I'm going for it more than the general, which is the only one I had tried before this little departure.
You'll be back. You'll never get free of the dip or snus or makla or chew bear on your back. And Lundgren's stuff is excellent and well-financed. They're owned by BAT.