What's new

What's so hard about Holmes?

blackmouth210

I am not in the market for a Sherlock Holmes meer. But I do enjoy window shopping meers in general.

Over the years I don't think I've ever seen a single Sherlock Holmes meer done well.

I've seen a few great Watsons.
I've seen plenty of awesome carvings of dragons, horses, unicorns, claws, and all kinds of celebrities (both fictional and otherwise).

But Sherlock? Nope. Most are bad. Some are terrible. And others are outright atrocious.

Why do you think carvers just can't get a good Sherlock Holmes out of meerschaum?

blackmouth210

Just out of curiosity, you are referring to a meer shaped like "the great detective" and not the calabash of fame? My guess is that due to the description of Holmes as given by Doyle is not conducive to a pipe...thin, hawk like and angular do not in my mind lend themselves well to a bowl shape.
Correct. I'm referring to a meer shaped like the great detective. Not a calabash.

MLC

Foggy Fogey.
Patron

You're right,
most that I've seen are hideously horrendous.

Like this:

Sherlock doesn't seem to be a popular figure for the earlier stuff either,
perhaps because he doesn't have a beard? LOL

I went through Worthpoint and the best example I found was this:

blackmouth210

You're right,
most that I've seen are hideously horrendous.

Like this:

Sherlock doesn't seem to be a popular figure for the earlier stuff either,
perhaps because he doesn't have a beard? LOL

I went through Worthpoint and the best example I found was this:

Agreed. That top one is great example of the bad versions. The bottom is probably the best I've seen.

I’d like to see a meer of Sherlock smoking a pipe carved like Sherlock smoking a pipe, carved like Sherlock.

Like a Russian nesting doll of meerschaum.
That would be AWESOME!
You should commission one from Baki. :bigyellowgrin:

blackmouth210

Saw this one on sale for almost $300 at sp.com and thought "What the...?!"
The terrible work on Sherlock's face put me in mind of this thread again.

I can't believe this would be priced at this amount.
Holmes looks like he's been the victim of some health issues that effected half of his face.
The maker should have re-carved this bowl into some other shape before putting it up for sale.

Almost $300!?! Get outta here!

Frotz

cause something to give off light
Patron
Saw this one on sale for almost $300 at sp.com and thought "What the...?!"
The terrible work on Sherlock's face put me in mind of this thread again.

I can't believe this would be priced at this amount.
Holmes looks like he's been the victim of some health issues that effected half of his face.
The maker should have re-carved this bowl into some other shape before putting it up for sale.

Almost $300!?! Get outta here!

Looks a bit like Edward G Robinson

Frotz

cause something to give off light
Patron
That's about the nicest thing you can say about it.
I don't remember EGR having one eye higher than the other, one nostril lower than the other, and a reverse Billy Idol thing going on with his lips.
I didn't look that closely at the eyes. Wow! I was struck more by the lips. Would the master carvers agree to carve the likeness of Sloth or of Alfred E Neumann?