What's that crackling noise?

Sidd

Hello everyone,

So I once reamed / scraped my pipe for cleaning and went mental with it (OCD- clean) nd ended up removing the cake from the bottom of the pipe and it looked all dusty from the bottom. So I am now in the process of smoking that pipe again and trying to rebuild a nice cake on it. However, I have noticed something unusual. When i reach the bottom of the bowl and I puff I hear tiny crackling and snapping sounds from the bottom of the bowl.

What is that about ? Is it because the ember hits the bare wood in the bottom or something else ? Should I keep smoking that pipe ? any advice is welcome for me to understand what's gong on here... thanks

Fr_Tom

PSD Chaplain
Old Ted Award Winner
Sometimes you get a little popping or sizzling from some moisture at the bottom of a bowl. You REALLY don't want that noise to be from wood burning, but you have to be smoking it really hot and the bowl will have a hot spot while smoking if that has happened. Have you looked at it after dumping ashes?

StompyMcFat

Perhaps try this. Take half a bowl and leave it out until much dryer than you usually smoke. Then load it up and see if it crackles. If so, it may be the wood. I wouldnt be suprised if a smaller, dryer bowl smokes quite nice, and you could stick with dry half bowls to cake the heel back up. I have only had a pipe crack on the first smoke and it was maple, not briar.

Sidd

I just checked it today. there is nothing at the bottom really, just ordinary cake build up that has started ... when I dip my finger to the heel it came out a bit moist even though the pipe was last smoked yesterday. So its mainly moisture ... I have started smoking aromatic in it and perhaps I have been sucking up a bit too much ! thanks a lot everyone...

I have just bought an estate Northern Briars pipe that had been reamed to near the wood and has next to no heel cake,it crackles near the end of the smoke.I
have tried 3 different tobaccos and they all do it.The same tobaccos are fine in other pipes.
I assume it will go once some heel cake has formed,no sign of burning.

Sidd

I have just bought an estate Northern Briars pipe that had been reamed to near the wood and has next to no heel cake,it crackles near the end of the smoke.I
have tried 3 different tobaccos and they all do it.The same tobaccos are fine in other pipes.
I assume it will go once some heel cake has formed,no sign of burning.
Thanks for sharing. I think this is exactly what I am experiencing. And yes, I too am pretty confident it will go away once I have some heel cake.